Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
so i contacted a well known tuning company a while back regarding hybrid turbo's

i expressed my concerns about the st not being able to cope with over 300bhp too well, and that extra cooling is needed to cope with the power

i got a reply which is making me lean back towards a turbo coversion now...as they seen to think my concerns are unnecesary

this is the reply i recieved..

Hi James,

Who has told you that you need to upgrade your radiator and install and aquamist system and who told you that you need to strengthen the block with liners, rods and pistons for over 300bhp?

I only ask because they are incorrect. The engine will hold well over 350bhp in standard form, the only reason the block has to be upgraded is when you want to run huge amounts of boost and nearing 400bhp. Otherwise you are strengthening the engine to cover up bad mapping.

We have seen cars come in from other tuners using several generic maps and fueling has been all over the place running too rich at the bottom end then running too lean and also cars which are running excessive amounts of boost to get the desired power figures, and the OBS (over boost shutdown) function is turned off because they don't understand how to phase it in., this in its self causes huge problems because the engine has no protection if it over-boosts. In turn this can cause head gasket and cylinder liner failure (usually between cylinder numbers 2 and 3 or 3 and 4) this is the common reason for engine failure in the ST not the strength of the engine, but poor and inadequate mapping installed on the car.

We have not had any problems with our conversions.

The only things you need for the hybrid turbo conversion are as follows which I assume you have barring the turbo and remap with you having 300bhp.

Large bore downpipe

De-cat or sport cat

Cat back system

Induction kit (not a k&n as they restrict the air flow after around 310bhp)

Intercooler

Hybrid turbo

Remap (we custom map every individual car to ensure everything is perfect)

I've attached a dyno graph of one of our typical ST's with all of the above mentioned mods and nothing else

The graph shows 317 bhp and 378 lbft torque @ the wheels which equates to approx 365bhp and 435 lbft torque at the flywheel (15% transmission losses)

This car has being running perfectly and has covered well over 20,000 hassle free miles.

so what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
AET saying they had no failures is not true, there was a guy on here a while ago who came on all guns blazing then about 2 months later his went pop!

I am only giving you advice, and if you choose to listen then thats your decision, i had the hybrid, 3 engines later i no longer have it. make your own mind up
More is not always more.

·
Captain Slow
16,287 Posts
QUOTE(Thunder#59 @ 27 Jan 2010, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i dont want to cause then bad press or anything

Haha.........I was right, they did used to be a sponsor. Wouldn't worry about the bad press, think they managed that themselves
, plus they haven't been on the forum for a good six months or so!

Still at least we got to see the "power graph" they promised to post up, shame you had to do it for them

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have been running a hybrid turbo for around 2 years and 12,000 miles and have never had any problems at all. I do run an aquamist system as well though as a safe guard. I have a air temperature meter fitted to my car and when the car is being pushed hard in the summer I was seeing temperatures in excess of 60 degrees which is not good. With the aquamist fitted the highest temperature that I have seem is 42 degrees, so not only does it reduce the chances of engine failure but it allows you to keep full power where before the ECU would be limiting it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(Ryan @ 28 Jan 2010, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Haha.........I was right, they did used to be a sponsor. Wouldn't worry about the bad press, think they managed that themselves
, plus they haven't been on the forum for a good six months or so!

Still at least we got to see the "power graph" they promised to post up, shame you had to do it for them

the guy im talking to said he was workshop manager at pumaspeed for 5 years before being at AET

he seems very helpful and informative tbh.....its just trying to sift through other peoples experience

already on this thread there are 2 people who have had conversions....both with VERY different results

aparently, according to this guy, the secret is in the mapping.....if its gotten wrong...your in trouble....get it right and you have a nicely fast, safe car

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
AET have made some very good cars, they tuned my mates Lancia Integrale EVO that he competes in at Ten of the Best, its around 650bhp so they are WELL capable of tuning a car.

However unless, like Menzies, you do MORE than just sticking a hybrid on you run a good chance of a problem, especially if you like to rev it. I can think of at least 5 people who have had a hybrid fitted and ended up in split liners. There is no saying it will happen to you but ask yourself the question, is it worth running the risk to get an extra 10-15% out of it. Are you planning on getting the RS clutch and Quaife Diff fitted? Because if your not i would suggest you should look at getting the Diff at very least, along with (if you've not already done it) a good set of springs as a minimum, also don't overlook the brakes. No Point gaining extra power if you cant put it down on the black stuff or go round the corner or stop in time

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
this is the thing

the whole concersation i had with james at aet is me saying it needs more strength to cope with the turbo...and more cooling

....he says its all about mapping

tbh the cost of the turbo and the map is about my limmit

adding aquamist, rods, rings, rad....etc is all adding up too much

i have rs transmition already and stiffer springs....not touched the brakes as of yet

thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
As long as you don't do harsh take off's you should be fine, I have done quite a few 1/4 mile runs in mine and the driveshafts are still hanging in there mind you I do have a spare set of driveshafts just incase.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I've seen the morego st350 demo car in magazines but if it's as good as they claim why isn't there more people on here with it ?? It seems most people on here have one of the following
code red
dreamscience
mountune

1 - 20 of 25 Posts