Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have yet another problem with my car. This year so far i have had the oil diaphram give up and the camshaft seals go which also meant a cambelt change. I now have an ESP System Fault which doesn't go away when i switch the engine off and back on again.

Today Ford plugged there computer into the car and it came up with a steering wheel sensor which needed adjusting which they did quickly but made no promises would work. I asked if they had a spare maf sensor laying around to try just to rule that out. To my disbelief they said an ESP System Fault would never and can never be caused by a faulty maf sensor. At that point i left the garage. On my way back home the ESP System Fualt popped back up so i popped into a private garage. I explained to them about the maf sensor and they told me the same as Ford. They then plugged there computer in and kiss my tin hat it was bringing up the maf sensor.

From there i went home and thought i would do my best to clean the maf. At this point the car is still telling me ESP System Fault. The first thing i noticed was that the maf sensor had been put back in the wrong way round by Ford. There is a clue which way it shoud go with a big arrow and air flow writtern next to it. I did my best to clean it which i couldn't really do to well then popped it back in the right way round. I started the car and the ESP System Fault had gone. I was SO pleased but after a journey of around 20 miles it was back and won't go away again without pulling the kam fuse. My DS handset isn't picking any fault codes up

Would i be right in saying it could be maf related because if it was something else there would have still been a ESP System Fault after i plugged the maf back in?

Many Thanks

Ben

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 4 Feb 2010, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sounds like you solved it mate, see if it comes back is all you can do.

Thats my point it has come back but did go away for around 20 miles after i plugged the maf back in

·
Captain Slow
16,274 Posts
Ben dear boy .................. I'd have a go at the Ford dealer, they fitted it incorrectly so may be you can try to blag a free one
. You've got to be rather special to fit something around the wrong way!! We need to find them a window or two, they can give it a good lick

Still chin up mate

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
put the maf sensor back the way you had found it and take it back to the garage and complain that the job had not been done correctly and if the maf is the wrong way around what else is wrong? the car had gone into the garage ok other than the oil leak and has now come back out with a problem

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(converted chris @ 4 Feb 2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>put the maf sensor back the way you had found it and take it back to the garage and complain that the job had not been done correctly and if the maf is the wrong way around what else is wrong? the car had gone into the garage ok other than the oil leak and has now come back out with a problem

The only problem with doing that is i went straight back down to the garage and told them afew things about there workmanship
. They are aware that my car only went in for the oil leak and now i have this problem. If i know it's the maf for sure then i'll just replace it but i don't want to spend £117 on something i may not need

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
nobody local to you that you could borrow one off? that way you can try one that proven to work before spending out. also have a good look at all the connectors and make sure there in correctly and the wires are not broken

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(converted chris @ 4 Feb 2010, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>nobody local to you that you could borrow one off? that way you can try one that proven to work before spending out. also have a good look at all the connectors and make sure there in correctly and the wires are not broken

Not at the moment but i'm working on that. A couple of people have had alook at the car quickly to make sure things are all connected but i shall have another good look myself tomorrow.

I did notice that it now sounds like i have a dump valve when giving it the beans. This could just be something i haven't really noticed before or can't remember as the car hasn't been well for awhile

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
Ben it is your Maf, mine was doing random esp faults and misfire, i was told no its not the maf it will be the map or turbo solanoid, change them, still the same, got
off with not being able to find the fault, changed the maf and bingo.

I also had new plugs, boost test, to go with the map and turbo solanoid, head scratch " strange it can't be the maf" four months later, i changed the maf myself.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 4 Feb 2010, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ben it is your Maf, mine was doing random esp faults and misfire, i was told no its not the maf it will be the map or turbo solanoid, change them, still the same, got
off with not being able to find the fault, changed the maf and bingo.

I also had new plugs, boost test, to go with the map and turbo solanoid, head scratch " strange it can't be the maf" four months later, i changed the maf myself.

the joys of the CAN-BUS electrical system, the MAF circuit must be linked to the ESP?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
QUOTE(Gardener @ 4 Feb 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all

I have yet another problem with my car. This year so far i have had the oil diaphram give up and the camshaft seals go which also meant a cambelt change. I now have an ESP System Fault which doesn't go away when i switch the engine off and back on again.

Today Ford plugged there computer into the car and it came up with a steering wheel sensor which needed adjusting which they did quickly but made no promises would work. I asked if they had a spare maf sensor laying around to try just to rule that out. To my disbelief they said an ESP System Fault would never and can never be caused by a faulty maf sensor. At that point i left the garage. On my way back home the ESP System Fualt popped back up so i popped into a private garage. I explained to them about the maf sensor and they told me the same as Ford. They then plugged there computer in and kiss my tin hat it was bringing up the maf sensor.

From there i went home and thought i would do my best to clean the maf. At this point the car is still telling me ESP System Fault. The first thing i noticed was that the maf sensor had been put back in the wrong way round by Ford. There is a clue which way it shoud go with a big arrow and air flow writtern next to it. I did my best to clean it which i couldn't really do to well then popped it back in the right way round. I started the car and the ESP System Fault had gone. I was SO pleased but after a journey of around 20 miles it was back and won't go away again without pulling the kam fuse. My DS handset isn't picking any fault codes up

Would i be right in saying it could be maf related because if it was something else there would have still been a ESP System Fault after i plugged the maf back in?

Many Thanks

Ben
im on my fouth maf sensor it went again last week

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(converted chris @ 4 Feb 2010, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the joys of the CAN-BUS electrical system, the MAF circuit must be linked to the ESP?
The ESP system uses the MAF reading as feedback for when it's controlling torque as part of an ESP intervention, so if the MAF goes
-up the ESP system can't do it's sums properly. I'm 99% certain you'll see an ESP fault if you run the car with the MAF disconnected.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
yes Troy, there is definitely ESP fault if you disconnect MAF. I changed MAF as well sometime ago for no apparent reason (clutch was to blame at the time, not maf) but now I also get ESP system fault and MAF circuit fault is coming up on OBD device. I am wondering if MAF needs to be programmed into ECU when it has been replaced? On some other cars i believe it is the case.

It seems strange that old maf lasted almost 3 years with no faults and the new one went off in a bit more then a month.

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
QUOTE(vladSTer @ 4 Feb 2010, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yes Troy, there is definitely ESP fault if you disconnect MAF. I changed MAF as well sometime ago for no apparent reason (clutch was to blame at the time, not maf) but now I also get ESP system fault and MAF circuit fault is coming up on OBD device. I am wondering if MAF needs to be programmed into ECU when it has been replaced? On some other cars i believe it is the case.

Vlad did you pull the KAM fuse after you fitted the new maf? i don't have any fault codes showing on mine?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
QUOTE(vladSTer @ 4 Feb 2010, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yes Troy, there is definitely ESP fault if you disconnect MAF. I changed MAF as well sometime ago for no apparent reason (clutch was to blame at the time, not maf) but now I also get ESP system fault and MAF circuit fault is coming up on OBD device. I am wondering if MAF needs to be programmed into ECU when it has been replaced? On some other cars i believe it is the case.

It seems strange that old maf lasted almost 3 years with no faults and the new one went off in a bit more then a month.

1.9 cdti vauxhall engines need to be told there is a new maf fitted as this reset's the learnt values in the ecu, maybe the ford ecu is the same

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.