Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
OK so cars been funny the last few days and im thinking its the boost solenoid but decided i would bug you guys and see if there could be anything else.

Mrs just came in and said the car was being jumpy. so i took it out for a quick run.

normal driving seems OK but soon as any heavy acceleration is used there's no power then sudden power. so took it up a small but of dual carriageway and watched the boost gauge it goes right up to 1.2 then drops to nothing and on lift off you get a blow off noise. which im putting down as boost leak.

so tomorrow im going to check the hoses for a leak but not exactly sure what how to do it. not long after i got the car i removed the symposer pipes so i can rule the diaphragm in that being faulty out. will double check my plug is still tight though.

am i right in thinking that its the boost solenoid at fault here?

is it worth upgrading or just buying a ford part?

can it be done easily DIY or best to go into a garage.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
went into ford today and ordered a new solenoid. wont get it until thursday/friday will i be ok using the car or best leaving it until i change the solenoid.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
changed the solenoid think im looking for something thats not there but anyway. the usual irritating whistle seems slightly louder and it sounds as if its dumping the boost slightly on lift off.

watching the guage from 1,2 and 3rd boost doesnt go over 1/4 then 4,5,6th it goes up to half seems to hold boost ok through all gears.

as said dont know if im noticing things because im looking for something or if there actualy is anything up.

could the recirc valve be on its way out?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
change the solenoid first as a good starting point
solenoid has been changed that cured what i was getting in my original post. Im now asking if what im getting is normal and im just picking up on it because theres been a fault or if theres something more to it

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
try a battery disconnect for about 3 hours to clear the ecu

stock should peak 3/4 on the gauge and drop to half

recirc valve only seems to leak sometimes at high boost levels say 1 bar and above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts