Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
i,ve used the search and still no wiser, i remember on my last ST raising the lights as they were a bit low after eibachs, now all i can find is 1 white plastic allen key style of nut to turn on top of each light, i,ve tried turning it both ways but there seems to be no movement in the lights at all, any one have a pic pointing to the right screw/nut that i need to turn, i really need to start seeing were i,m going as this morning in the snow they were terrible

·
Registered
441 Posts
There are two 7mm allen screw sockets to each light, the outer ones will move the light up and down the inner one's will move the left to right.

To higher them you need to turn the outer ones clock wise direction, try turning them 3 or 4 turns with the car about 1 meter away from the wall, you will see them moving.

There is a thread on here that shows the correct distance from the wall and set up. see the ' how to do section '.

Hope this helps.

Edit Alan /\ /\ /\ /\ beat me to it /\ /\ /\

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but this is the thing, i remeber there being 2 last time but now i can only find 1 on each side ,exactly the same as shown in the link on the post above, btw yes they level on starting up they are just too damn low

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Take your car to the local MOT station and ask them nicely and they will adjust them correctly for you using a beam setter (For a small fee, the garage i work at usually charges a fiver), adjusting them against a wall is ok to adjust them roughly but you require the use of a beam setter to do it properly.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
garage is deffo the way but i was just after a quick fix for now

btw could the abs / traction control going mental in the snow bring on the mil light? mines just randomly lit up on the way home tonight, cars running fine so just wondered if 30 minutes of wheelspining might have set it off, will do the kam fuse thing in the morning and see if it clears it

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I had this problem, there are 2 yellow hex nuts on each headlight, the one you want is circled yellow ( it is down there )

I found it hard to find an allen key long enough to reach it so i used a pencil and a pair of pliers

You need to turn it anti clockwise about 8 full rotations, then tweek it as necessary

Attachments

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
QUOTE(goonturbo @ 18 Dec 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It could possibly bring the mil light on, was testing an a2 this morning and the EPC and MIL light came on after 5 minutes of traction loss.
thought it could be this as i dont exactly drive like an old woman and i,ve had no bother with the light then tonite i,m wheelspinning for 20 miles and it comes on {wonder if the cars protesting as its not used to going so slow
}

QUOTE(Michael @ 18 Dec 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had this problem, there are 2 yellow hex nuts on each headlight, the one you want is circled yellow ( it is down there )

I found it hard to find an allen key long enough to reach it so i used a pencil and a pair of pliers

You need to turn it anti clockwise about 8 full rotations, then tweek it as necessary

that might be it then, i only give it 2 or 3 turns and when nothing happened i gave up {tho i can still only see 1 white plastic hex bolt on each light}

·
Registered
853 Posts
QUOTE(loko @ 18 Dec 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thought it could be this as i dont exactly drive like an old woman and i,ve had no bother with the light then tonite i,m wheelspinning for 20 miles and it comes on {wonder if the cars protesting as its not used to going so slow
}
that might be it then, i only give it 2 or 3 turns and when nothing happened i gave up {tho i can still only see 1 white plastic hex bolt on each light}
ive got the same problem,going to have a look tomorrow,can you comfirm its anti-clockwise to lift the beam?

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,837 Posts
I did this and it took about 7 turns to get it where I wanted it.
If it's too high, other drivers will let you know very quickly
(After 2 years I was never flashed once).
Just put it back to default for the MoT if you feel the need.

·
Registered
853 Posts
QUOTE(Alb @ 14 Feb 2010, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I did this and it took about 7 turns to get it where I wanted it.
If it's too high, other drivers will let you know very quickly
(After 2 years I was never flashed once).
Just put it back to default for the MoT if you feel the need.
ive done it,to clear any confusion its the nearest adjusters to the wing(the outer ones) and to lift the beam up its CLOCKWISE,i moved mine up 5 turns in the garage then poped to my mates mot station and they were a pass,only just though

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
The levelling sensors will compensate to get the headlights pointing level compared to the attitude of the car but they've no way of telling that the car is now 20-25mm lower. So it's common to need to manually offset the headlight position with the adjusters to get them pointing where you want them.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 15 Feb 2010, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The levelling sensors will compensate to get the headlights pointing level compared to the attitude of the car but they've no way of telling that the car is now 20-25mm lower. So it's common to need to manually offset the headlight position with the adjusters to get them pointing where you want them.

thats what i was told by pumabuild when they did mine the first time and they were spot one, then the second time around pumaspeed did them and he said they didnt need doing as they adjust themselves and they were that bad i paid to get them adjusted at my local garage

G

·
My lights had been really low since I brought the car, I've fiddled about with the manual adjustments for ages and couldn't get it right.
In the end I took it to my local MOT centre in Chelmsford where they kindly sorted it out for the sum of £5.

For the sake of £5 I now have the xenons working as a pair and lighting up the road like I have never seen before, if I am honest they are that much much better and I don't need to use my full beam like I used to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts