Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the ST this evening and noticed the o/s xenon didn't do it's usual auto adjust. Once driving, the beam on the o/s was only lighting about 5 meters of the road ahead. Luckily the n/s was providing some cover. Git home and double checked the lights against my wall, the o/s isn't adjusting when the lights come on. Any ways of checking for faults? I know the sensors ate in the wheel arches, not sure what they look like though. Any idea how much Ford charge to sort these?

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
There's one in the passenger front wheel arch, and one on the rear beam.
Not sure if one does one headlamp and the other does the other headlamp.

Worth checking they aren't misaligned before taking it to Ford.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's one in the passenger front wheel arch, and one on the rear beam.
Not sure if one does one headlamp and the other does the other headlamp.

Worth checking they aren't misaligned before taking it to Ford.
The thing is it was working fine last night, seems to have just failed. I'll give it a few days to see if it'll heal itself. Then I suppose I better get it sorted as it's an MOT failure I believe...

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
Pretty sure the sensors work together so the problem is specific to that headlight.
This type of failure has been reported before and it is not unknown for it to correct itself.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fingers crossed, I don't want to be splashing out just after Christmas, no doubt Ford will charge an arm and a leg!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure the sensors work together so the problem is specific to that headlight.
This type of failure has been reported before and it is not unknown for it to correct itself.
I've just had a thought, prior to the leveller failing, I had difficulty getting on a driveway so had to bump up onto the kerb, putting the car at an angle. I'm wondering if this had put the sensor out maybe?

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
I can guarantee that you won't want to replace the control box as it's mega-expensive

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
Is the control box situated in the headlamp then?
No, there are three key components - sensors (attached to front/rear suspension), control box (in the car) and drive motors (in the headlights).
Your problem sounds headlight related.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No you can get the motor seperate and fits easy.I will look in garage tomorrow as might have some spares I can send to you
That would be awesome mate. I'm going to disconnect it tomorrow and investigate, see if it will miraculously start working again!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right, I decided to have a listen to the headlamps to see if the motors were working. N/S can be heard to fire up nicely, however the O/S can be heard for a split second then it stops. My theory is that when I went up onto a kerb the other day, the light adjusted to suit, but is now jammed in that position (downwards). I'm not sure how these motors work, but hopefully with some persuasion it can be released so that it will work again. Anyone know;

A - How to get to the motor
B - If they are sold separately and where
C - How to replace it???

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I had a look but forgot I sent them to another member the motor is held in place with couple of torx screws and a ball joint pushed in

1 - 20 of 22 Posts