Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting my son an x-box for christmas, there seems to be 4 kinds avaliable, I think he would like to do online gaming , but i havn't a clue what to get (i'm still trying to get rings for that annoying headghog) Realy would appreciatte little advice on what to buy

Many thanks Neil

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(theboy @ 10 Dec 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The basic package does not allow you to save stuff as a harddrive is not included. If he is going to play online etc i would go for the Xbox Elite package. At moment its about £199 with 2 controllers and couple games.

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/Consoles/Xbox...?platform=14600

Thanks , so the arcade one you cant save games , but youcan on the elite one ?

http://www.game.co.uk/Consoles/Xbox-360/Xb...are-2/~r344758/

does This seems a good buy ?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
QUOTE(webbyst @ 10 Dec 2009, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks , so the arcade one you cant save games , but youcan on the elite one ?

http://www.game.co.uk/Consoles/Xbox-360/Xb...are-2/~r344758/

does This seems a good buy ?

Thats right, you cant save games on the arcade one. Deffo get the elite one. Not sure what deals are out there at the minute. Have a look here http://www.xbox360-offers.co.uk/ Also Argos sometimes have some good deals.

Edit - the one from game is a good deal as it comes with 2 cracking games.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That Game deal does look good as it's £85 for Forza and MW2 alone!! In fact I may buy that and give my old 360 console to my mum.

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
Stick with the Elite mate -these seem to have least problems with the R.R.O.D (Red Ring of Death)!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
QUOTE(Marc @ 10 Dec 2009, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Stick with the Elite mate -these seem to have least problems with the R.R.O.D (Red Ring of Death)!

Is this not fixed yet, I thought this was only with the early boxes, Mines happened 3 years ago.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Just realised the Elite STILL doesn't have Wifi which is a bit annoying!!

So you still have to fork out £60 for the adaptor. Not sure how people reckon the Xbox is better than PS3, my PS3 just works straight out the box with Wi-Fi and HDMI, my launch 360 is archaic in comparison, but at least it still works!!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Dream Weaver @ 10 Dec 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That Game deal does look good as it's £85 for Forza and MW2 alone!! In fact I may buy that and give my old 360 console to my mum.

So if i buy this , can he play straight away or is there additional leads & stuff to buy on top ?

we have a Panasonic 42"viera plasma non hi-def telly !

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I believe it only comes with a scart adaptor which is rubbish, so you would need to buy an HDMI lead to connect to your Panny.

Just get one off Amazon for £5 as HDMI is digital and the quality is the same for a £5 lead or a £500 lead. Some "experts" will tell you otherwise but it's nonsense, the £5 leads are fine.

You would also need to wire into a router if you want online gaming, otherwise you will need the wireless adapter which is £60

PS your Panny telly is 720p which is HD to all intents and purposes as no games are made in 1080p anyway.
I have the same TV but the 37" version. I use mine with the component HD cable which is good, but HDMI is cheaper/neater.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Dream Weaver @ 10 Dec 2009, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I believe it only comes with a scart adaptor which is rubbish, so you would need to buy an HDMI lead to connect to your Panny.

Just get one off Amazon for £5 as HDMI is digital and the quality is the same for a £5 lead or a £500 lead. Some "experts" will tell you otherwise but it's nonsense, the £5 leads are fine.

You would also need to wire into a router if you want online gaming, otherwise you will need the wireless adapter which is £60

PS your Panny telly is 720p which is HD to all intents and purposes as no games are made in 1080p anyway.
I have the same TV but the 37" version. I use mine with the component HD cable which is good, but HDMI is cheaper/neater.

Mant thanks DW , so you need a x-box router ? @£60.00 this is getting dearer & dearer maybe the ps 3 would be a better shout or is that just opening a whole new can of worms ?

·
Registered
481 Posts
The elite comes with HDMI and component leads. You dont have to go wireless, it comes with a ethernet cable or if you need a longer one any electrical wholesales will do them. I have lost count of how many 10m ethernet cables i have made for people

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(theboy @ 10 Dec 2009, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The elite comes with HDMI and component leads. You dont have to go wireless, it comes with a ethernet cable or if you need a longer one any electrical wholesales will do them. I have lost count of how many 10m ethernet cables i have made for people

so , you can run a lead from your pc to your console that is connected to your telly istead of the router ? i'm so confused as i see deals like the one i linked to & others that say £ 199 for the console alone ?

football kits were alot easier

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi buddy,

If you buy the 360 elite you are ready to go, (solo and online)

you will have two cables with the elite, Cable 1= HDMI this goes into your tv, Cable 2= ETHERNET this goes into your home hub, or router, for online play,

however if you want to play online wirelessly you have to buy the adapter this will cost around £60 pounds cheaper on ebay though.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yes you can run the lead into the back of the computer. Although the computer will have to be turned on to work xbox live. Its a lot easier to either wire up to the router or buy a wireless adaptor. Game or Gamestation sell these pre owned for about £30

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Chaps, the normal Elite comes with the HD/Component cables, but the particular deal that webby posted at Game for £199 doesn't come with any cables, look at the user comments on the link.

Yes I should have made it clearer that you don't need a wireless adapter, but if not it means running cables around and for me my Xbox and PC are 4 rooms apart. Fine if you don't mind cables running through your house but not if like me you like everything hidden or wireless.

Connecting straight to PC is no good unless you leave the PC on all the time, so you will need to connect to a ADSL router.

As an example, my ADSL router sits in the office and transmits my wireless network around the house - this is then picked up by my iPhone, netbook, laptop and PS3. If the xbox had wi-fi that too would pick it up, but it doesn't so I can either get the wi-fi adapter at £60 or run an ethernet cable down to my xbox which means lifting carpets etc.

Don't let the cable situation put you off that deal though from Game - as I said HDMI cables are £5 max and ethernet cables are a similar price for a decent length.

It depends how your PC/ADSL is all setup in relation to the Xbox position I guess, so tell us your house layout for consoles etc.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
If its just for gaming Neil i would go for the x box elite and ethernet cable.

But the sony ps3 is good value when you take into account the built in memory, free online gaming and blue ray player.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
QUOTE(Dream Weaver @ 10 Dec 2009, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>PS your Panny telly is 720p which is HD to all intents and purposes as no games are made in 1080p anyway.

Quite a few of my 360 games are 1080p, most of my others are 1080i

1 - 20 of 35 Posts