Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,just want ure opinion on some work issues....where i work were paid on job time, the job i do is window cleaning,so for example we would have an office block to clean and we would be given say 16 hours to clean it between 2 people.....now if this job takes longer we dont get paid for the extra hours that we put in,so if it takes 18 hours we still only get 16 hours between us is this right??? as it feels like were working for nothing
do we have the right to say ive done my 16 hours between us im not finishing it unless im paid the extra??
also i give up alot of my saturdays to work which isnt in my contract,but feel that were not getting anything extra... if were out say 12 hours they will only pay us say 10 hours this is happening week in week out and its very frustrating as when u work it out u over the week we could be £100 out of pocket:( plus they charge extra to the cliant because its the weekend anyway
also with reguards to work vans,a lad at work had a small crash in one of our vans he told the boss about it and he "said not to worry these thing happen" and that was the last that he heard about it until this month when they told him that they had taken £50 out of his wages to cover some of the cost,he has to pay £250 in total. there is nothing in our contract or workers hand book that says if we have a crash or damage the vans we would have to pay for the damage, can they just make u pay for it with out u having signed something to say that u would pay said money,and take money out of ure wages before asking u/telling u

hope this make sense any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Im afraid this is the way the country is heading! We get the same at work! We get normal time for working weekends and they actually had the gall to tell us that they were offering a fantastic incentive of time and a half if we worked Christmas Day ffs! The sad truth is that if you dont do it some Eastern European will so expect things to get worse rather than better!

·
Registered
732 Posts
you could try and fight it but i think your employer could make things more difficult for you. As fishface says, With the way the country is at the moment, there is a queue of people waiting to do your job, most would do it for minimum wage too. So imo I'd either just get on with it or start looking for another job!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im afraid this is the way the country is heading! We get the same at work! We get normal time for working weekends and they actually had the gall to tell us that they were offering a fantastic incentive of time and a half if we worked Christmas Day ffs! The sad truth is that if you dont do it some Eastern European will so expect things to get worse rather than better!
that is very true about the eastern europeans doing it for alot less,but are we within our rights to say right i have done my contracted hours im not doing anymore unless im paid? im not asking for extra money i just want to be paid for what hours im working......it seems that the place i work like to change the rules to suit them

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you could try and fight it but i think your employer could make things more difficult for you. As fishface says, With the way the country is at the moment, there is a queue of people waiting to do your job, most would do it for minimum wage too. So imo I'd either just get on with it or start looking for another job!
but who works say 12 hours and gets paid for 8-10 hours...in my book thats never right,i dont mind doing the work just want to be paid what i feel im owed....or ill just do my contracted hours....it is a tough one as there are people who would do my job for alot less than what i get paid to do it..just very frustrating

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I would say the only problem is if your work has given their client a price for 16 hours then pay you 18 hours there's no profit. If they price it higher somebody will come along and under cut them. Unfortunately this is the way everything is heading,I would rather get paid 16 hours than none.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I think the issue with your type of work, is that it would be very easy to take the
. If you simply got paid by the hour, you could work slowly and get more money. What I assume the company you work for has done is taken an average over the last few weeks/months/years and determined that "x" building takes "y" amount of time to clean, and pays you according to that average.

What I would do is approach a manager and approach the subject, in a calm way, explaining that for whatever reason, certain buildings are taking longer to clean and that you would like to be compensated for this. Make sure you keep records of everything you say and your manager say and if you get fired you could use this as a basis for a wrongful dismissal (ie you were fired for asking to be paid for the hours you actually work).

·
Registered
794 Posts
With all the cuts going on in the public sector, I ended up working so hard in one year that I finished with 56 hours unpaid overtime and 18 days of annual leave untaken. Needless to say I didn't hang around long after everything started to hit the wall. That being said, I did spend the horrid year training myself up for a different job altogether, so switching was a lot easier than it might otherwise have been.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
that is very true about the eastern europeans doing it for alot less,but are we within our rights to say right i have done my contracted hours im not doing anymore unless im paid? im not asking for extra money i just want to be paid for what hours im working......it seems that the place i work like to change the rules to suit them
You are probably well within your rights but the company will just tell you to do one and give the job to some other mug that will do what they want! I presume youre a contractor? If so you have virtually no rights!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are probably well within your rights but the company will just tell you to do one and give the job to some other mug that will do what they want! I presume youre a contractor? If so you have virtually no rights!
i have a contract with my employer,have worked for him for 10 years loyalty counts for nothing these days
havent even had a pay rise in 4 years because they plead the recession every year
maybe its time to look for a new job.....where do we stand with reguards to paying for the van damage when its not in the contract do we have to pay it??

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
i have a contract with my employer,have worked for him for 10 years loyalty counts for nothing these days
havent even had a pay rise in 4 years because they plead the recession every year
maybe its time to look for a new job.....where do we stand with reguards to paying for the van damage when its not in the contract do we have to pay it??
You would need to speak to somebody who knows the law about stuff like that matey! If youre a proper worker rather than a contractor though you should be in a better position on most counts!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
hi all,just want ure opinion on some work issues....where i work were paid on job time, the job i do is window cleaning,so for example we would have an office block to clean and we would be given say 16 hours to clean it between 2 people.....now if this job takes longer we dont get paid for the extra hours that we put in,so if it takes 18 hours we still only get 16 hours between us is this right??? as it feels like were working for nothing
do we have the right to say ive done my 16 hours between us im not finishing it unless im paid the extra??
also i give up alot of my saturdays to work which isnt in my contract,but feel that were not getting anything extra... if were out say 12 hours they will only pay us say 10 hours this is happening week in week out and its very frustrating as when u work it out u over the week we could be £100 out of pocket:( plus they charge extra to the cliant because its the weekend anyway
also with reguards to work vans,a lad at work had a small crash in one of our vans he told the boss about it and he "said not to worry these thing happen" and that was the last that he heard about it until this month when they told him that they had taken £50 out of his wages to cover some of the cost,he has to pay £250 in total. there is nothing in our contract or workers hand book that says if we have a crash or damage the vans we would have to pay for the damage, can they just make u pay for it with out u having signed something to say that u would pay said money,and take money out of ure wages before asking u/telling u

hope this make sense any info would be appreciated
Asuming you are paid hourly and for example you are contracted for 39 hours per week buy your boss, You are entitled to a over time rate after your normal working hours. Ps if like you say you cannot do a particular job in 16 hours and it takes 18 hours ask your boss to set up a time and motion who will be able to see how long your job actually takes.

If you are salary paid normaly in your contract it will state either you are paid for extra hours dont or you dont get paid any extra.

If you are paid hourly and it does not state in your employment contract that you are not paid for any hours worked over then he has to pay you for your total hours worked, Eg if you have done 12 hours and hes only paid you for 10 hours. If your company takes any moneys from you they legally have to inform you firstly and also you can agree a set ammount weekly that they can take from your wages if it is a substantial amount that they want to take eg...say you pick up £300 per week and your boss tells you hes taking £50 that week before you get paid, if you feel thats too much you can agree a smaller amount to be taken over a longer period rather than one lump sum, as you would say i cant afford this ammount in one week. try here it will tell you everything you need to know mate, its always good to be clued up on these kind of things https://www.gov.uk/b...t-working-hours but read your contract....remember if what you have a concern about is not in your contract it normally will not apply. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Asuming you are paid hourly and for example you are contracted for 39 hours per week buy your boss, You are entitled to a over time rate after your normal working hours. Ps if like you say you cannot do a particular job in 16 hours and it takes 18 hours ask your boss to set up a time and motion who will be able to see how long your job actually takes.

If you are salary paid normaly in your contract it will state either you are paid for extra hours dont or you dont get paid any extra.

If you are paid hourly and it does not state in your employment contract that you are not paid for any hours worked over then he has to pay you for your total hours worked, Eg if you have done 12 hours and hes only paid you for 10 hours. If your company takes any moneys from you they legally have to inform you firstly and also you can agree a set ammount weekly that they can take from your wages if it is a substantial amount that they want to take eg...say you pick up £300 per week and your boss tells you hes taking £50 that week before you get paid, if you feel thats too much you can agree a smaller amount to be taken over a longer period rather than one lump sum, as you would say i cant afford this ammount in one week. try here it will tell you everything you need to know mate, its always good to be clued up on these kind of things https://www.gov.uk/b...t-working-hours but read your contract....remember if what you have a concern about is not in your contract it normally will not apply. Hope this helps.
thanks mate,ill have a read of ure link....im contracted to 40hrs per week and payed by the hour,i always do more than 40hrs a week plus i do nearly every weekend for no extra other than them paying u for the day eg no overtime money which i think is wrong because they charge the client a weekend rate so they pretty much charge the client double but pay us the same
i can understand that they need to make money but i think just time and a half would be pretty fair but they wont...the only thing they do is pay us £2.50 extra p/h but for example we do a job where we would have had 10hrs pay without the £2.50 extra when the £2.50 extra came in he cut the time to 8hrs pay so in reality we are no better off and getting no extra so he is paying out no more money to when he was paying us 10hrs

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Unfortunately as everyone has said your in a sticky situation with the current economic climate you may be cutting off your nose to spite your face by bringing this all to the boss's attention as he may just say sorry thats the way it is like it or lump it and then make things very difficult for you so in effect pushing you out rather than dismissing you.

With regard to the van damage something has to be agreed by the employee and the employer before any money is taken from you wages, if this wasn't then the employer cannot take anything and it must also be agreed that any damage to company property is the employee's responsibility in writing and has to be signed by the employee also.

I could go into detail about my job where we have 6 different pay rates for exactly the same job with a difference of just over £200 a week from top grade to bottom grade (lucky for me I'm on the top rate)but it the current economy and our wonderful government that has got us into this position and the idiots who cannot just spend what they earn but spend spend spend and then cannot pay it back.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Taking money out of your wages without your permission is illegal deductions of earnings mate.

·
Registered
509 Posts
as already stated - if your boss quotes a price of 16 hours and gets paid for that, he'd loose money paying you 18.
If he quoted 18, another company would probably under cut his prices and he'd loose business.

Its a
deal mate, but I dont think you'd be onto a winner if you compained. He might even suggest your taking the p*** taking an extra 2 hours on a job - ive known similar to happen to friends.

Although working for him for 10 years means he will probably respect you coming to him to discuss things. Its a tough one to call though.

As for vehicle damage - i once had a car crash into my van and drive off. My employer told me to get it fixed or he would get it fixed and take it from my wages.
So i took it to halfords, bit of filler and some white paint. and just did it myself - by time van was dirty you couldnt even tell.
Bit cheeky but he paid me minimum wage anyway so couldnt afford to do pay. Had to keep some food on the table eh!

Anyway, enough rambling, im sure that you have to agree to have money taken from your wage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts