Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunatly someone reversed into the focus the other day and dented the rear quarter, scratched all the bumper and everything - anyway its gone in for repair and ive got an Astra 1.8 SRi as a hire car.

Now i was hoping i would hate it... but to be honest it aint bad!! im loving the 35mpg lol.

Its got me thinking - do i really need a big 2.5T to ride about in costing me an arm and a leg!? plus my next insurance is looking to be over 1k again as it seems to have rocketed so im seriously considering a change back to something cheaper.

Im hoping when i get the ST back ill wonder what the hell im on about lol.

The culprit:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I also enjoy driving other cars and have thoughts, the fiesta hire car was a good example but as soon as you get back in the ST nothing else seems to matter it puts the smile back into driving it, to hell with the MPG

·
Registered
662 Posts
Have you gone MAD ?!?!?

Quickly - someone living within a 50 mile radius go drive past this mans house so he can hear the 5 pot singing again, hopefully this will shock his system back to some sort of normality!!

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
QUOTE(davo1983 @ 22 Jan 2010, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I also enjoy driving other cars and have thoughts, the fiesta hire car was a good example but as soon as you get back in the ST nothing else seems to matter it puts the smile back into driving it, to hell with the MPG

I have to agree with you on the Fiesta as I got a courtesy car a while back and just loved the way I could chuck it around (partly because it wasn't mine
) but soon had a reality check getting back in the ST

·
Registered
269 Posts
I test drove the exact same car before buying my ST. I thought it was a good car untill i came to my senses, i hope you do the same mate. The day i buy an astra is the day no other make is available.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The ST will feel like a rocketship when you get it back. However, I have to concur about the economy benefits of a less thirsty vehicle. Choose one that gives you near-ST levels of performance (60 in 6.7s, 148mph top end, wodges of torque..
) and enjoy 45mpg and some sexy 'ar*e-out' action on any roundabout you choose..

·
Super Moderator
Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line Tech 230
8,092 Posts
QUOTE(Gav @ 22 Jan 2010, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The ST will feel like a rocketship when you get it back. However, I have to concur about the economy benefits of a less thirsty vehicle. Choose one that gives you near-ST levels of performance (60 in 6.7s, 148mph top end, wodges of torque..
) and enjoy 45mpg and some sexy 'ar*e-out' action on any roundabout you choose..

Oil burning German example by any chance ???

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i must admit, im missing 2 things - the turbo and the armrest!

1.8 feels sooo slow compared to the ST! but then it is down 100bhp with no turbo so its bound to feel slow.

Those diesels do sound good gav! im defo havin a diesel after the ST i reckon. The facelift focus zetec s's look nice!

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE(Glenster @ 22 Jan 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i must admit, im missing 2 things - the turbo and the armrest!

1.8 feels sooo slow compared to the ST! but then it is down 100bhp with no turbo so its bound to feel slow.

Those diesels do sound good gav! im defo havin a diesel after the ST i reckon. The facelift focus zetec s's look nice!

The word "Diesel" should not be mentioned on this site!!!!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Glenster, I think you've got your "sensible head" on today. It probably happens to most of us occasionally. The one that says "why is this car costing me a fortune to run? I could save loads of money with some thing more sensible. Its only a car. does it really matter?" etc etc.

The trouble is "sensible head" has no passion, no emotion and no soul. It purely works on logic and practicality. If everyone listened to their sensible head there would be no ST's, RS's, Imprezas, Evo's, VXR's etc. We know they don't make sense logically but we love them with a passion that goes beyond common sense.

2 years ago I allowed "sensible head" to take over and I traded in my 2004 Impreza WRX Prodrive for a brand new 1.8 TDI (120 bhp).
After the novelty wore off of having a new car (about a week), I HATED IT. Only had it 3 months and lost a fortune trading it in.

Take it from someone who's been there, DON'T DO IT!!!!

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
We had a SRi 200bhp and tbh I thought it was the muts until after 15k miles the gearbox went and we changed to the
, and guess what?

What I thought was great (ie the Astra) was suddenly put into perspective.

`nuff said.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I've got a diesel and i LOVE it!!!!!!!! I have extra money every month, it has a fair amount of torque too and its only 90bhp lol. If you get one thats 150bhp+ you'll love it and have more money, which when u get a bit older and want to be buying a house etc is very handy in todays climate. Who cares what car you drive, unless youre as deep as a puddle.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Liz-Whizz > I agree about things like the banzai Jap rockets, but the amount of fuel the ST consumes for the amount of performance it delivers is poor. Christ, a 6.0 V12 Aston Martin will deliver 15-18mpg. The ST's economy really is shockingly bad for an output of c.230bhp.

Compare it to the new TT RS which is also a 2.5T 5-pot - that will average high-20s to low 30s, almost 50% more economical.

Oh, and I'm still not bored with my diesel yet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.