Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, jus recently noticed the seal running around the top the windscreen keeps popping out, no water is leaking in but when going above 50mph it makes a really annoying whistle. Have put it back in but keeps coming back out.... have also tried a bit of vaseline to hold it in but doesnt seem to be working. The car is still under warranty so perhaps a trip back to ford may be required? Any help would be much appreciated. ta.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(scunnyfanST3 @ 13 Dec 2009, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi folks, jus recently noticed the seal running around the top the windscreen keeps popping out, no water is leaking in but when going above 50mph it makes a really annoying whistle. Have put it back in but keeps coming back out.... have also tried a bit of vaseline to hold it in but doesnt seem to be working. The car is still under warranty so perhaps a trip back to ford may be required? Any help would be much appreciated. ta.

Wouldn't surprise me if they won't fix it
I bet autoglass have to fix it or they charge you. Can't see it costing much though

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
The bit that you mention is NOT a seal, its just a cosmetic trim.

When the screen is fitted there is a small gap between the edge of the screen and the body work, this is where the Trim sit's.

There have been issues in the past with the trim popping out, but as your car is still under warranty then take it back to your dealer, if for any reason he wont do it for you then there's an easy fix, just clean the trim as best you can, apply a little bit of glue and push the trim home and cover with a bit of masking tape while it dries out job done

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
had the same problem with mine a few months back i was on my way to profile automotive with a few more of the lads going down the a67 when it decided to pop out made a right high pitched noise s:censored:t myself

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Had the same with mine twice, managed to fix it myself in the end with windscreen PU sealant and a little syringe to work it into the recess in the seal then some putty to force it in place for a few hours. First time it came out pushed it back in place then couldn't get the soddin thing out again to bond it on proper

If you have a go at it yourself the PU might need warming up for an hour or 2 in this weather and you'll have to degrease the vaseline off it first.

It's a known issue for the dealers and they did have a TSB for fixing it with PU etc, they do give a range of build dates which are affected but cars outside this range have had the issue too.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Trim warranty is only a year I found out. My trim piece played the same trick on me and I thought I'd send her back as it was still under warranty - or so I thought - and was told to basically shove by my dealer even though I gently prodded him that "trim shouldn't go after a year regardless" and perhaps he may want to do me a favour to keep me onside. He just drew breath and said "Trim warranty is one year."

So I poked it back down, no glue or anything tricky, just some very forceful prodding and, touch wood, it hasn't popped out since and it's been about 4 months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts