Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else got or had their windscreen creak around the edges somewhere.

Mine was creaking this morning at -2 which I thought fair enough it's cold. But it was 10c on the way home and it was still creaking!

Any fix for this?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Your windscreen is bonded to the car, so i doubt very much its creaking mate, are you sure its not the trims on the a posts?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I've put my ear against the a pillar and their quiet. Seems to be coming towards the top of the screen. I thought it might the the scuttle panel creaking on the glass and thus transmitting the noise though the glass.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hello Trist,

i get this too. Its not all the time. But when it does creak sounds very worrying and not normal. Mine hasnt done it for a while now.

Have a search through the forum. Someone else may have had this problem. I will look later when I get home.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I was getting this last night, for the first time ever! Was a bit worrying but it went away after a bit. No idea what was causing it though??

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys

Maybe it's the temperature.

It's hard to describe, but it's like driving around on a late summers evening with those flys everywhere going splat on your windscreen, it's the same kinda sound.

Maybe it's the plastic cover at the bottom of the screen moving and the sound going through the screen.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Cheers guys

Maybe it's the temperature.

It's hard to describe, but it's like driving around on a late summers evening with those flys everywhere going splat on your windscreen, it's the same kinda sound.

Maybe it's the plastic cover at the bottom of the screen moving and the sound going through the screen.
Yeah I though it was little stones or grit bouncing off the windscreen, but couldn't see any. At least now I won't worry too much.

Though nearly lost my windscreen last night, a large stone/rock bounced off my bonnet onto my windscreen taking loads of paint with it - NOT IMPRESSED!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your right about little stones, does sound like that

Not good about the paint

One thing I did do the other day, the clips that hold the scuttle panel on I pushed them in tighter, so just now I've pulled the scuttle panel towards the front of the car. I could hear it move a bit. Maybe it was too tight.

I'll update tomorrow if I've solved it

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
guys check the rubber surround on the outside of your screens ,especially around the top where it joins to the roof .
some cars used to suffer from this comeing out and makeing a ratling sound,was caused by the screens being put in the cars slightly to low and therefore not makeing a good seal with the rubber and roof.
mates car had this and we just pulled the trim up ,put some bonding agent behind placed back down and secured with maskin tape overnight and hey presto no more rattles!
just a thought you might wish to check out .

·
Registered
976 Posts
Right I've checked my rubber. On the top left and right of the screen I can pull the rubber/plastic downwards towards the screen if that makes sense. It's still attached to the screen, but I can move it. But I cant pull it off without probably taking it all off.

Is this what you were talking about?

If I pull it off, how do I do it and how will I get it back on, looks a tight fit!

Whats this bonding agent you used?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
what you need to check is can you pull it out from between the screen and roof and not down from the screen as such ie does the rubber strip come completely off both the screen and where bonds to roof,bit difficult to describe .
will find out what bonding agent was we used as still have some in garage i think

·
Registered
976 Posts
Erm I dont think I can pull it off. Mine isn't bonded to the top of the car, only in the middle of the screen.

I'll just nip out and try pushing it upwards. brb - Edit, nope it wont come out.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok mine was slightly better today. But did still do it a little.

It deffo coming from the top of the screen, must be the trim moving on the window. Some bonding agent or glue should sort it I reckon, or warm weather

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok mine was slightly better today. But did still do it a little.

It deffo coming from the top of the screen, must be the trim moving on the window. Some bonding agent or glue should sort it I reckon, or warm weather
Hi Trist!

Mine is doing this noise too, its driving me mad

I noticed it doesnt do it when its raining (maybe the water lubricates it).

If anyone has a fix for this it would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine was exactly the same. if you hold down the windscreen watcher for long enough it will stop and the water lubricates it.

I must say after cleaning the car last week it's stopped on mine, maybe there was something lodged between the rubber and the screen. Maybe work giving your ST a good clean

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine was exactly the same. if you hold down the windscreen watcher for long enough it will stop and the water lubricates it.

I must say after cleaning the car last week it's stopped on mine, maybe there was something lodged between the rubber and the screen. Maybe work giving your ST a good clean
Thanks Trist! sounds like a good excuse to give it a good clean

1 - 20 of 33 Posts