Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My laptop seemed to be on its last legs so have gone to get a new one today however it has windows 8, urggggg!!! What is it with the silly tiles trying to make it look like a mobile phone type thing, it is a frigging computer not a fashion accessory!!! I do not want apps on my laptop! I did try to down load a couple of game s for my son but it says something about Xbox Live account, if they think I am paying for that just to use some cheap games on my laptop a couple of times, they know where they can stick it! Also my carriage return button will not move my cursor down on this forum so I can not create new paragraphs (sorry, to those with a clue about computers, is this something I can change?) Sorry not a fan!

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
I don't see the point of putting Windows 8 on a non-touch laptop, just doesn't make sense to supply them like that. You don't have to pay for the Xbox account, it just gives them a way to gather billing details etc for when you buy stuff - whether you download free or paid for games. For paragraphs I think it's Shift + Enter, possibly Ctrl + Enter.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see the point of putting Windows 8 on a non-touch laptop, just doesn't make sense to supply them like that. You don't have to pay for the Xbox account, it just gives them a way to gather billing details etc for when you buy stuff - whether you download free or paid for games. For paragraphs I think it's Shift + Enter, possibly Ctrl + Enter.
Thanks for the suggestion but neither worked

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
The Enter button doesn't work for me either in IE (on this forum anyway), however it works fine in Firefox (which is miles better anyway).

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will just have to put a load of spaces between my paragraphs. So readers can take a breath

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Windows 8 is great for touch devices, that's what it was designed for. It is a radical change though, takes a bit of getting used to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you using the 64 bit version of IE or the normal IE? Also, are you using the 'app' IE or the desktop version?

I have found that using the app causes alsorts of issues with websites and also, the 64bit version of IE should be banned

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
You can run a programme that restores the Windows 7 look and feel. It starts behaving like a proper computer after that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've having problems with Spotify which is annoying me to no end. That, coupled with numerous BSODs mean that as soon as I get a day off I'm going back to win7!

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
I would imagine your BSODs are down to device drivers, manufacturers/MS have this issue with every new version of Windows, about time they learned to keep up.

·
Registered
614 Posts
on the mrs new laptop, she couldnt use windows 8, i went right into the bottom left hand corner and there was a desktop icon, clicked that and now it looks and acts like windows 7

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Windows 8 isnt bad is it lads, im getting a new laptop. Ive currently got vista on my pc and i hate it. Much prefered xp.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts