Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now and again the window wipers wont turn off... doesnt happen when your just cleaning your windscreen or rains for short periods... if I've had them on a while then sometimes they don't turn off... on three occasions they wouldn't turn off even after I'd turned the engine off! I had to restart the engine and put them into high speed, then turn off to get the ******* to stop (repeating until it does). Occastionally on intermittant, the timing gets completely random ( I dont' mean when you change the intermittant timer or when you stop at the lights).

Is it a problem with the window wiper control unit or is an Earthing Problem? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I had this with the rear wiper once but hasn't happened for a while, it wouldn't stop I didnt even have any wipers on all I did wash wash the rear window and the wiper was still going 15min later. I stopped the engine and it was fine after that

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Does the ST use a relay to turn the wipers on?

This could be faulty and sticking on even when you turn the wipers off, other than that it could be a short in the wiring somewhere, a faulty wiper stalk or some sort of control issue from the GEM which would be a tricky one to find without taking it to a dealer.

If there's a relay doing the wipers try swapping it with another one in the junction box (pick something that's not going to cause big problems) and see if the fault stays with the wipers or moves to the new circuit you swapped with.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 24 Dec 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If there's a relay doing the wipers try swapping it with another one in the junction box (pick something that's not going to cause big problems) and see if the fault stays with the wipers or moves to the new circuit you swapped with.
Apparently uses Relay 8 (std speed) and Relay 9 (hi speed) in the CJB which is the junction box below the dash in the passenger footwell - if it's easy to identify which relays these are then try swapping them - as far as ican see they should be identical relays, you can check code numbers on them to be certain. Handy to mark up which is which so you don't mix them up if there is a problem with one of them.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 24 Dec 2009, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Apparently uses Relay 8 (std speed) and Relay 9 (hi speed) in the CJB which is the junction box below the dash in the passenger footwell - if it's easy to identify which relays these are then try swapping them - as far as ican see they should be identical relays, you can check code numbers on them to be certain. Handy to mark up which is which so you don't mix them up if there is a problem with one of them.

No harm in trying... i think my alternator isnt sounding healthy either... if the relay doesnt work then I can always get the dealer to look at that as well as the alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.