Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
happy new year evry1!! got some time off work so decied to tint the windows in the
was just wondering wot evry1 thot and wot they would do like wot shades they would go for?and has any1 done it already any tips on taking door cards off?so i dont break or bend any thing!

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(flinty06dno @ 2 Jan 2010, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>happy new year evry1!! got some time off work so decied to tint the windows in the
was just wondering wot evry1 thot and wot they would do like wot shades they would go for?and has any1 done it already any tips on taking door cards off?so i dont break or bend any thing!

i went for 5% at the back and 50% at the front
didn't do mine my self tho

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(Chris @ 2 Jan 2010, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bearing in mind ANY tint that you put on the front windows will render your car illegal!

the place that done mine assured me that it was legal at that

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(Chris @ 2 Jan 2010, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When the car comes from the factory the glass is already tinted as standard and its tinted to the max that the law allows , well on the front it does, the backs can be done as dark as you like

oh well i have got away with it for 2 years now so i should be ok lol

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
QUOTE(shug1986 @ 2 Jan 2010, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>oh well i have got away with it for 2 years now so i should be ok lol

I thought exactly the same, but after 3 years i got pulled and had to remove then on the side of the road, didnt get a fine but quite easily could have

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(Chris @ 2 Jan 2010, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought exactly the same, but after 3 years i got pulled and had to remove then on the side of the road, didnt get a fine but quite easily could have

that's abit extreme i would have thought , at least i could tell them that the company said it was legal

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(shug1986 @ 2 Jan 2010, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i went for 5% at the back and 50% at the front

QUOTE(shug1986 @ 2 Jan 2010, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the place that done mine assured me that it was legal at that

Have a read of this!>>>>

Car Window Tinting Legal Requirements in the UK
Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) Statement

The UK Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Act details the legality of window tinting in the UK - and as amended specifies the minimum levels of light that must pass through the windscreen and front side windows.

For a legal window tint in the UK the specifications are:
a) Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985
b) The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.
c) The front side windows (to either side of the drivers' head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light, the vehicle is breaking UK Window tinting law.

The consequences of illegally tinted windows!

If you are driving with less than legally required light transmitting through the windscreen and front side windows, the following could happen ;

a) You could be stopped and fined - you are effectively handing the police a 'reason' to stop your vehicle - the car could be impounded if it is considered dangerous to drive and/or could be given a prohobition order until removed!

b) You will be required to remove the film (which will cost) and present your car to the Police confirming it has been returned to a legal status.

c) If you have an accident and it can be proven that the reduced vision caused by the illegal film was a contributing factor, you are likely to get part or full blame - even if it was not under normal circumstances your fault!

d) Even worse - your insurer - if they stand to be in a position where they are looking at full acceptance of liability (as you were at fault) - may determine that your insurance is invalidated! and you will be looking at footing the costs on your own for your own vehicle and any other damage to third party vehicles or property.

In summary, it might look great - and you may get away with it - in the same way that there are plenty of motorists with illegal exhausts or number plates - but is it worth the risk? It would be difficult for an insurer to maintain that a 'dodgy' number plate contributed to an accident - but how easy would it be to claim that the reason you did not see the motorbike is because you had illegally tinted the window ?

Still not convinced ? Think we are making this up to scaremonger you ? Take a look at the examples of customers whose windows fell short of the law.... http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/everything_else/2277.asp

Source>>> http://www.shropshiretints.co.uk/legal.htm <<<

Window tinting is in my opinion a dangerous thing to do! Im sure anyone else who rides a motorcycle will agree that most drivers really dont need any more excuses for not looking! The insurance implications alone should be enough to deter people from even thinking about doing it! As far as i am aware the ST windows are timted as far as it is legal to tint them from the factory! If you have now fitted 50% tints on top of that then you are at 80% tint! The maximum is 30%!

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
QUOTE(shug1986 @ 2 Jan 2010, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>that's abit extreme i would have thought , at least i could tell them that the company said it was legal

That wont work belive me
they have a new kind of tint meter now and if they put it on your windows and it registers more than 30 your nicked end of!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
but its still your car and still you that gets the fine ect. but hey who am i to speak with my fronts tinted.
to regards to the orininal post. i wouldnt even attemp to tint my own windows again. i did it on one of my old cars. its VERY tricky and can easily go wrong. its worth paying someone to do it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(Chris @ 2 Jan 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That wont work belive me
they have a new kind of tint meter now and if they put it on your windows and it registers more than 30 your nicked end of!

sound bad but hhey dont even seem that dark

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
QUOTE(shug1986 @ 2 Jan 2010, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i went for 5% at the back and 50% at the front

Are you sure you didn't get 5% at the front and 50% at the rear? Seems odd and I doubt any garage would state this as 'legal'

You got any photos of the car with the front windows up?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Serious case of deja vu..

It's all already been said in the posts above about legality. You can go as dark as you like on the back 3 (we have limo black on ours) but the front is a total no-no. Waste of money doing them just to have to rip them off again.

No doubt one of our resident police officers will be along to verify that what you have been told is correct and that excuses aren't accepted.

As for getting them done, go to a professional as they are easy to get seriously wrong and if they tell you the fronts are legal to do then they are doing it to get more money out of you. The guy we go to won't even touch the fronts!

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(Andy_ST @ 2 Jan 2010, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are you sure you didn't get 5% at the front and 50% at the rear? Seems odd and I doubt any garage would state this as 'legal'

You got any photos of the car with the front windows up?

yeah mate didn't realise they were down here you go
here is one with them half down as well

Attachments

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
QUOTE(shug1986 @ 2 Jan 2010, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yeah mate didn't realise they were down here you go
here is one with them half down as well

They look good mate, I don't think you'll have a problem with them the front windows don't look much darker than they do as standard

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(Andy_ST @ 2 Jan 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They look good mate, I don't think you'll have a problem with them the front windows don't look much darker than they do as standard

cheers mate i didn't think they were that dark

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(ST H16OPY @ 2 Jan 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not to hi-jack the post, what is the average cost of getting the tints done?

i got them done for £160 for the full car they were ment to be £180 but my uncle got me discount

1 - 20 of 27 Posts