Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 ST-1 and I want to buy a set of xenons that are from the same year but ST-3 will they fit straight in or will I have to do some sort of conversion if it works out expensive then I will not bother

·
Registered
647 Posts
you wont be able to use them to pass an mot the headlights them selves should fit bar the wiring i think but to remain legal you will need a level sensor plus headlamp washers

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
I've been told they're a straight swap, no loom work, nothing. Just plug and play. I'm contemplating it...

As for the legality... The current MOT wording:

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
It only states that if they ARE fitted, they MUST work. Not that you NEED them. I've been told by a few testers that it'll fail without them, but I can't see how. The only issue is that if you do fit the Xenons, the only way you can adjust them is by lifting the bonnet and doing it manually. Not something you'll want to do when three of your mates hop in the back seat, which means you'll blind oncoming drivers.

Reasons for Rejection - A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.
Note that it doesn't mention missing.

Source: http://www.transport...lsandguides.htm

·
Registered
647 Posts
the whole idea of the headlamp washers is they clean the lense and as there is no beam pattern on the lense the dirt on the lense will deflect the beam hence blinding on coming drivers

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Never understood the head light washer thing, with out some sort of wiper its pretty much useless I think.

·
Registered
647 Posts
the way you have to look at it is if you didnt need the headlamp washers why would all yes all manufacturers they do cars with xenons put headlamp washers on with all the expense and weight involved they just wouldn't do it

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
They way i look at it is..... when i wash it every week the head lamps are always dirty the same as the whole front of the car lol

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
its a requirement that the cars must be fitted with headlight wash and level sensors for when the cars are first built to get type approval. Just like DRL's on new build cars from 2009/10 onwards. Although cars with an older chassis pan such as the Focus that is classed as a "redeveloped car" the ruels dont seem to apply. This si sthe case with the new Vauxhall Mokka. its based on a Corsa D platform and therefore can use R134a aircon gas and not the new butane based AC gas.

I cant see there being any issues with fitting the factory xenon headlights to a car as its been fitted after production. The original bulbs are not blue like some of the chav sets on ebay. As if the lights are deemed to be too blue that can also fail the mot but thats down to the tester. As fr the self leveling i would connect that to the manual lamp adjust circuit so it can be altered off the switch in the car.

·
Registered
647 Posts
its a requirement that the cars must be fitted with headlight wash and level sensors for when the cars are first built to get type approval. Just like DRL's on new build cars from 2009/10 onwards. Although cars with an older chassis pan such as the Focus that is classed as a "redeveloped car" the ruels dont seem to apply. This si sthe case with the new Vauxhall Mokka. its based on a Corsa D platform and therefore can use R134a aircon gas and not the new butane based AC gas.

I cant see there being any issues with fitting the factory xenon headlights to a car as its been fitted after production. The original bulbs are not blue like some of the chav sets on ebay. As if the lights are deemed to be too blue that can also fail the mot but thats down to the tester. As fr the self leveling i would connect that to the manual lamp adjust circuit so it can be altered off the switch in the car.
ford at the moment wont use the new ac gas as there are floors in the testing on the basis of polution and dangerous to the occupants in the event of an accident

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@converted Chris is it easy connect to the manual lamp adjusters or will it be hard work I don't want to put like u say the chav sets u buy on eBay but I don't want to spend loads will the factory xenons go straight in if they do I can sort out the manual adjust at a later date

·
Registered
647 Posts
@converted Chris is it easy connect to the manual lamp adjusters or will it be hard work I don't want to put like u say the chav sets u buy on eBay but I don't want to spend loads will the factory xenons go straight in if they do I can sort out the manual adjust at a later date
im sure the wiring plug is different i maybe wrong but if i remember correctly mine was different to a base focus there might be a jumper loom you could fit i will ask tomorrow

·
Registered
253 Posts
I fitted xenons to my old laguna 2 all I did was swap the motors over for the levelling as I had height adjustment in the car everything else was plug and play if you know somebody with them already it may be worth trying it first before buying them

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Personally I wouldn't consider this because although washers and levellers aren't an MoT requirement they are there for a reason and that is to reduce the risk of glaring other motorists. I've been blinded too many times by other people with badly fitted and/or badly adjusted headlights to wish it on anybody.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts