Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to take my ST to a inner city tesco carpark yesturday as I was looking at a job close by. I parked it well away from the shop entrance in a clear row of car parking spaces. I thought it would be nice and safe out of harms way...

So why is it that on my return with only a half full car park some :censored: in a beat up fiesta parked in the space right next to me. What is wrong with people!!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I get it all the time! came back the other day and there was some lads from an old fiesta standing by my car. I like to think they were just admiring it but u never know, had i come back any later, some parts might have been missing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I get it all the time! came back the other day and there was some lads from an old fiesta standing by my car. I like to think they were just admiring it but u never know, had i come back any later, some parts might have been missing.
Happens to me also.

I also once had a rather sarcy note left on my windscreen saying I shouldn't park across two bays.

It was Asda @ 10pm and I was parked right at the back

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
1) So you wasnt being a customer of Tesco but you were using their carpark, then you dont like it when someone parks next to you?
2) A Fiesta (or any other car/bike etc) has just as much right to park next to you as anyone else, plus they were probably actually a Tesco customer at that time.

Not sure why it matters that it was a beat up old Fiesta if I'm honest, would it have made a difference if it was an £135,000 Aston Martin that had parked there?

People who park over two spaces really wind me up, it's just ignorant to expect people shouldnt park next to you - get over yourselves lads.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Personally i never park across 2 bays and it winds me up big time if i see people do it in a busy or full car park, but if you are in a massive supermarket car park with hundreds of empty bays either side of you, cant see it being too much of an issue?

·
Registered
103 Posts
People who park over two spaces really wind me up, it's just ignorant to expect people shouldnt park next to you - get over yourselves lads.
It's not something I do during peak shopping hours. But at 10pm when the carpark is empty, I couldn't care less

I was posting purely for the irony. Hardly annoying anybody when there's nobody there am I?

·
Registered
241 Posts
1) So you wasnt being a customer of Tesco but you were using their carpark, then you dont like it when someone parks next to you?
2) A Fiesta (or any other car/bike etc) has just as much right to park next to you as anyone else, plus they were probably actually a Tesco customer at that time.

Not sure why it matters that it was a beat up old Fiesta if I'm honest, would it have made a difference if it was an £135,000 Aston Martin that had parked there?

The point is that people in beaten up old cars are less likely to be bothered about opening their car door onto your pride and joy. It won't neccesarily follow that the same thing wouldn't happen if a new car parks next to you but IMO its more likely. If they don't give a **** about their own car, their not likely to be too considerate when it comes to being careful when opening their door against yours. If I had a tenner for every time I've seen it happen, I'd be quite well off now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The point is that people in beaten up old cars are less likely to be bothered about opening their car door onto your pride and joy. It won't neccesarily follow that the same thing wouldn't happen if a new car parks next to you but IMO its more likely. If they don't give a **** about their own car, their not likely to be too considerate when it comes to being careful when opening their door against yours. If I had a tenner for every time I've seen it happen, I'd be quite well off now.
Indeed. If I need to park in a busy car park, I'll purposefully drive around and find the nicest cars to park next to. I can't be alone. Hopefully

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I admit I don't have the cheek to park across 2 spaces (as much as I wish I could!) however at 10pm I can't see it being a problem!

I always park at the back end of the carpark in the most open space possible. Failing this I will park next to the nicest car possible
purely for the fact that I'd like to think they care as much as I do and won't ding my car.

I have no problem with people doing the same to me as it prevents a banger from doing the damage! So Killsta I'm with you on that one!

As Liz says, if someone doesn't give a rats
about their car they are hardly going to be bothered about ours! So it really bugs me when you make the effort to park your car in a 'safe' spot only for a mpv full of booster seats to park a foot away from your door

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's normally people in flash cars that don't give a
, saw a brand new M3 driver ding a car on Tuesday.
Absolutely right. Anyone could damage your car with their door. I just work on the theory that its slightly less likely to happen if the car next to you is a decent one. I also park well away from other cars if I can and will NEVER NEVER NEVER park next to any car thats got a child seat in the back!!! I am not afriad of walking and therefore look for the furthest spaces away from the shops.
BTW nothing against child seats, I have one in my car!

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
top bit of advice from lizz-whizz and i to have a child seat in my

deserves a rep and thanks me thinks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well i have found out that it doesn't matter if you park in 1 or 2 spaces, on the end or near the front as i have had my car dented in all of the situatons. Sad times!!
So i think you just need to look for the biggest single space possible and hope for the best. Oh and i always watch out for child seats and OAP's (no offence to parents / OAPS)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am not saying it is their fault, but I find kids the worst as they don't appreciate what they have done.
The other day I was polishing a scratch out of my nearside wing, when a car pulled up, a kid got out and dinged my offside wing.
Now I know shouldn't, but I wanted to give him a slap

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Absolutely right. Anyone could damage your car with their door. I just work on the theory that its slightly less likely to happen if the car next to you is a decent one. I also park well away from other cars if I can and will NEVER NEVER NEVER park next to any car thats got a child seat in the back!!! I am not afriad of walking and therefore look for the furthest spaces away from the shops.
BTW nothing against child seats, I have one in my car!
I always tend to find that old 4x4's, harrassed parents and kids seats are the worst! I also avoid at all costs!

Bit of a generalisation i know but i speak (type) from personal experience!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

As I said the car park in question is a inner city Tescos, this particular car park was only given planning on the agreement it could be used for the town centre, so I had just as much right to park there. I have the 20p ticket if needed. But that a side I have no problem with parking in a any Tescos for free seeing the amount of money that company makes.

My point isn't that the owner of the other car didn't have the right to park next to me, of course they did it was more the fact WHY. I don't understand if you have a row of empty spaces why park right next to another car on your drives side?? This has happened a few times so isn't an isolated thing. That fact it was a beat up fiesta I can see has been answered by others, my nice new door panel the fez rusting dented :censored:. I wish there would have been a 135K aston I would of been quite happy with that may have even taken pictures.

Happily in this case no damage was done so I can only asume the fez owner was considerate all be it a little lonely.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Maybe the Fiesta driver just wanted to park next to a decent car to make theirs look better.

If parking dents bother you as they do me, then you need to spend time picking the best parking spots wherever you go - I have parking areas for every town or city we go to in the ST so I know it will be safe and/or ding free - it's taken me more time to find them but I'm happy to do that to save my bodywork whilst also thinking of others.

All we need to do now is stop the idiots without kids using the parent/toddler spaces in supermarkets, forcing people with kids to have to park in normal spaces and risk dinging peoples cars, but we've covered that in detail before.

PMSL at choccy, I was going to mention him but decided not to.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts