Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Formerly Azionamento
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done an Advanced Driving course because...
£139 - that's too much58.33%
Won't learn anything813.33%
Don't know what's involved/where to start2846.67%
I will but haven't got round to it1118.33%
Other - please post comments813.33%

·
Formerly Azionamento
2,759 Posts
I'm a great advocate of all drivers continuing to improve their road driving skills after passing the L-test. The IAM and ROSPA (both charities) do excellent 'Advanced Driving courses' across the UK - which cost at most, £139 all-in.

I'm curious why car enthusiasts (like anyone here) don't do our courses as to me it's a no-brainer.

I'd be really interested in as many forum members as poss. completing my poll (no rude comment please about 'wheel-shufflers and flat caps!')

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have never really thought about it to be honest.

However there was advanced driving course at my local private airfield today for Bentley drivers.(Bet that was not cheap)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
At that price I'd do it, just assumed it was going to be a lot more than that, plus not sure how to go about it. Have always wanted to learn how to drive 'properly'

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'd love to do it and if you are telling me that the whole thing is only £139 then I am all for it. Wher do I sign up??

I had figured it would cost £458580976 an hour for instruction and it would take 344580720875 hours to get good enough etc.

·
Formerly Azionamento
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(yoinkster @ 23 Feb 2010, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd love to do it and if you are telling me that the whole thing is only £139 then I am all for it. Wher do I sign up??

I had figured it would cost £458580976 an hour for instruction and it would take 344580720875 hours to get good enough etc.

www.iam.org.uk

Yep £139 for the course including test and year's membership.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I consider myself a safe enough driver tbh,no crashes and i put this down to being a mature family man who takes no risks at all. Still think advanced is a good idea though for new drivers as our current system is poor and after passing a test it takes a couple of years to become competent although some people i know are still sh###t drivers after years. Just look at the tailgaters and people who dont know how to indicate.MILLIONS>

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
QUOTE(martine @ 23 Feb 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>www.iam.org.uk

Yep £139 for the course including test and year's membership.

sounds good, I'll check it out. From your first post, you made it sound like you work for them? Cos you know, that £139 is dead steep, but a discount might convert me

·
Formerly Azionamento
2,759 Posts
QUOTE(yoinkster @ 23 Feb 2010, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sounds good, I'll check it out. From your first post, you made it sound like you work for them? Cos you know, that £139 is dead steep, but a discount might convert me

I am a volunteer - like most in the IAM and ROSPA. I teach people for the fun and satisfaction of getting them through the Advanced Driving Test and I meet some great people - some of which drive nice cars! It's only £139 because of people across the country doing their bit...a commercial course would be £500 - £1000 I reckon.

Once you pass you get access to a special insurance deal and for me it's the cheapest I can find...but the main reason for doing it is to improve my skills (never ending) and enjoyment from driving skillfully, progressively and safely.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Best upgrade I ever made to my car was me.

I've done several advanced driving courses and took really good stuff away from all of them which I still practice to this day.

·
1,285 Posts
I am lucky that I get excellent driver training at work so no need to take any further courses in the outside world as such.

The training I receive is intense but it helps me in every day driving around town as well as driving at work so it has joint benefits!

I also qualify for further insurance discounts as well when renewing my car insurance

The IAM is a great organisation and would higly recommend anyone who can afford it to do it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Can't really see the point for driving on the roads.

I have done 40K miles per year, for the last 8 years with no problems.

I see plenty of people that could do with doing it though

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I've been driving for about 7 years, which is nowt to some folk on here
but as I enjoy the odd 'spirited' blast now and then I believe I could do with some extra tricks/knowledge up my sleeve should the worst happen. At least that's my tuppence anyway

·
Formerly Azionamento
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(Mart170 @ 24 Feb 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've been driving for about 7 years, which is nowt to some folk on here
but as I enjoy the odd 'spirited' blast now and then I believe I could do with some extra tricks/knowledge up my sleeve should the worst happen. At least that's my tuppence anyway

Yes that's a healthy attitude I'd say. It doesn't follow that people with several years accident free are actually good drivers...they might be lucky or they might not be exploiting opportunities to drive progressively (and I don't mean tearing round the countryside). 'Spirited' driving is fine - 'inappropriate' speed isn't.

Advanced driving courses cover many things but usually a mixture of developing some specific skills (gear-chaning, use of brakes, steering etc) but also more general 'higher level' stuff like really good observation, anticipation, planning etc.

Anyone who claims they won't learn anything is incredibly arrogant or perhaps self-delusional
. I've driven with some really excellent drivers (better than I) and they all claim to be learning all the time.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
QUOTE(martine @ 24 Feb 2010, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes that's a healthy attitude I'd say. It doesn't follow that people with several years accident free are actually good drivers...they might be lucky or they might not be exploiting opportunities to drive progressively (and I don't mean tearing round the countryside). 'Spirited' driving is fine - 'inappropriate' speed isn't.

Advanced driving courses cover many things but usually a mixture of developing some specific skills (gear-chaning, use of brakes, steering etc) but also more general 'higher level' stuff like really good observation, anticipation, planning etc.

Anyone who claims they won't learn anything is incredibly arrogant or perhaps self-delusional
. I've driven with some really excellent drivers (better than I) and they all claim to be learning all the time.

Every time we all step behind the wheel of a car we are learning, thats what my old man used to tell me, so far 9 years accident free driving, but id love to do an advanced driving course.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It never hurts to brush up on your skills. I have been driving for 16 years now and know I have picked up some bad habits over the years. I have been lucky that I haven't had an accident *touch wood* for 5 years (a deer ran out in front of me on the A9) and haven't had an accident involving another car for over 10 years but, as I am sure we've all experienced, sometimes it can be a close call!!!!

I will be digging into how to get on an advanced course for sure.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts