Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone plasti-dipped anything with any success? Ive sprayed my rear diffuser gloss black but ive heard getting your front grills off is a nightmare and clips are likely to get damaged?...

Was thinking about plasti-dipping my Focus boot badge and front grills?... (95% sure ill spray but im just curious)

Has anyone got any tips for removing front Grills? I hear its just a case of gentle persuasion?...

Was also thinking about replacing my side badges. I know they are just stuck on so it sounds like a easy job!

·
Formerly Known As Shep4785
1,421 Posts
Has anyone plasti-dipped anything with any success? Ive sprayed my rear diffuser gloss black but ive heard getting your front grills off is a nightmare and clips are likely to get damaged?...

Was thinking about plasti-dipping my Focus boot badge and front grills?... (95% sure ill spray but im just curious)

Has anyone got any tips for removing front Grills? I hear its just a case of gentle persuasion?...

Was also thinking about replacing my side badges. I know they are just stuck on so it sounds like a easy job!
I removed my grills and fog surrounds about a year ago to plasti dip them, ended up damaging the bonnet lock so had it replaced when I had MR290 fitted. That was the only issue really, I think one or two clips on the lower grill bent slighty (didn't actually break).

It doesn't mean to say you will damage the bonnet lock it might just be me being heavy handed but they are fairly tempremental.

In regards to the plasti dip mine held up fairly well, a tiny bit has peeled on the front fog and I get a water bubble when I wash the car on the lower grill due to water getting behind a stone chip. I think painting is a better long term solution.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I plasti dipped my fez's grills and it held up really well for about a year then when I was jetwashing the front loads of it peeled off
It's a damn sight easier than painting I know that much, just clean and spray- no sanding/ primer etc etc

That said it's also more expensive than paint and will realistically need redoing as much as paint would so it's about 50/50 in the long run I'd say

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have done my front fog surrounds and rear to and both grills.
Works a treat, couldnt get lower grill off so sprayed in car with a couple of curtains stuffed down behind, that lower grill has lifted a bit because not fully sealed.
Sorrouds and upper grill still looking as day i sprayed them, been hand washed few times and even through a car wash and no probs.
I didnt want the gloss black look which is why i went for this, i did do a thread on painting them

Steve

·
Registered
435 Posts
Done mine couple weeks ago some say the bottom grill is a nightmare to remove but i removed the undertray and took me no more than 2-3 mins to remove with out braking a clip, and if I was you I would paint them lastst alot longer and cheaper

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Done my grills and fog surrounds and they all just peeled so I re sprayed fog surrounds with paint from halfrauds and they come out a treat need to re do grills when weather is better! I pulled bottom grill from bottom left corner broke 1 clip but then used flat head screw driver as u pull gently use screw driver to bend clips down and they come away perfect and with 1 broken clip always got a starting point when I want to remove it again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts