Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the Durashift 5 speed automatic exactly? Is it a fluid clutch?
Also, I know the Powershift is a twin clutch system but why is it still slower than the manual when VW's DSG box is slightly quicker than the manual? Why can't Ford do the same thing?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
If the Durashift name applies to the same type of system across all of Ford's range then it's what's known as an ASM or Auto Shifting Manual transmission.

So instead of being a torque convertor type auto box it's a manual box and clutch with additional hydraulic and electronic controls to operate the clutch and gear change in such a way as to work like an auto.

My brothers 02 plate Transit has this set-up. When it decides to change gear it operates the clutch, lifts off the throttle itself and you feel a pause as the next gear goes in. It changes down itself in the same way. Gear selection (neutral, drive, reverse) and some gear modes are changed with an electronic control panel on the dash. Supposed to be more fuel efficient than a tc type auto. Except any fuel savings were wiped out when it cost £1500 to replace the goosed Hydraulic Pressure Unit

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 28 Feb 2010, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If the Durashift name applies to the same type of system across all of Ford's range then it's what's known as an ASM or Auto Shifting Manual transmission.

So instead of being a torque convertor type auto box it's a manual box and clutch with additional hydraulic and electronic controls to operate the clutch and gear change in such a way as to work like an auto.

My brothers 02 plate Transit has this set-up. When it decides to change gear it operates the clutch, lifts off the throttle itself and you feel a pause as the next gear goes in. It changes down itself in the same way. Gear selection (neutral, drive, reverse) and some gear modes are changed with an electronic control panel on the dash. Supposed to be more fuel efficient than a tc type auto. Except any fuel savings were wiped out when it cost £1500 to replace the goosed Hydraulic Pressure Unit

Vauxhalls Easy Tronic is the same set up

1 - 3 of 3 Posts