Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST-3
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

When I picked up my Focus ST a couple of weeks ago it had wind deflectors fitted and on the way home I could here whistling coming from outside the window. Thinking it was maybe the wind deflectors I took them off. However the whistling noise didn't go away.

Earlier today while out in the car I put the window down and the whistling was a lot more prominent. So when I got home I checked out the windows, trim, etc and I think I found the problem.

I checked the passenger side and that trim piece is firmly fixed. But as you can see in the image below the driver's side seems to have come away slightly as indicated by the arrow. I think the wind is hitting this gap, which in turn is creating the whistling noise.

Looking at it I get the feeling that it's all part of the mirror assembly. Can anybody tell me how this is fixed and how easy it is to remove?

Thanks.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Amber

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Hi all,

When I picked up my Focus ST a couple of weeks ago it had wind deflectors fitted and on the way home I could here whistling coming from outside the window. Thinking it was maybe the wind deflectors I took them off. However the whistling noise didn't go away.

Earlier today while out in the car I put the window down and the whistling was a lot more prominent. So when I got home I checked out the windows, trim, etc and I think I found the problem.

I checked the passenger side and that trim piece is firmly fixed. But as you can see in the image below the driver's side seems to have come away slightly as indicated by the arrow. I think the wind is hitting this gap, which in turn is creating the whistling noise.

Looking at it I get the feeling that it's all part of the mirror assembly. Can anybody tell me how this is fixed and how easy it is to remove?

Thanks.
Try this:

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST-3
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That Youtube video really helped a lot.

I was able to loosen the Mirror assembly and reposition it slightly higher to eliminate the gap.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST-3
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, did this fully resolve the problem? I have similar irritating issue. Thought it was the wing mirror cover. Can't get rid of whistle when hitting 50/60mph. Cheers.
Hi. I thought that repositioning the mirror assembly would resolve my issue but sadly it didn't. I did find the problem however. It turned out that the mirror assembly on my car was aftermarket. A genuine Ford one has a rubber grommet which sits between the mounting point and the mirror assembly. This stops the wind rushing through the gap and producing the whistling noise. The aftermarket mirror did not come with this grommet. So I simply purchased a genuine Ford Mirror and had it fitted. Problem solved. No more whistling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I thought that repositioning the mirror assembly would resolve my issue but sadly it didn't. I did find the problem however. It turned out that the mirror assembly on my car was aftermarket. A genuine Ford one has a rubber grommet which sits between the mounting point and the mirror assembly. This stops the wind rushing through the gap and producing the whistling noise. The aftermarket mirror did not come with this grommet. So I simply purchased a genuine Ford Mirror and had it fitted. Problem solved. No more whistling.
Both my mirrors have the rubber part underneath and I've also purchased a new Ford drivers side mirror brand new and it still whistles! 🤯🤯 I find it strange anytime its wet there is no whistle. Water must fill a gap somewhere.. cheers tho! 👍🏻

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST-3
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both my mirrors have the rubber part underneath and I've also purchased a new Ford drivers side mirror brand new and it still whistles! 🤯🤯 I find it strange anytime its wet there is no whistle. Water must fill a gap somewhere.. cheers tho! 👍🏻
I diagnosed the problem by applying masking tape to different areas of the mirror each time I went out. Through a process of elimination I was able to narrow down exactly where the noise was coming from and that was how I also discovered that the mirror was aftermarket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts