Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I'm in a proper prickly mood today.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Apostrophes

It's been absolutely doing my nut recently.

It's not written "turbo's" (Don't claim it's a contraction of turbo{charger}s. You wouldn't write it as turbo', so dont put turbo's.)

It's not written "ST's"

For the love of god, if in doubt, leave it out.

I think I've got eye cancer now.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
QUOTE(razzleultra @ 30 Nov 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For the love of god, if in doubt, leave it out.

QUOTE(Si @ 30 Nov 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Talk about pitching over the audiences head lol

Oh come on!

If you're not sure of the rules, surely it's not too taxing to just not put one in in the first place!?

PS The question now is who'll get the most abuse ; me for my original post, or you for suggesting that apostrophes are above "the audience's" head.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(dave619 @ 30 Nov 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>that depends on how it's written!

For example.......

"ST's are great!" is wrong,

"the ST's a great car!" would be correct!

Yes, but on this site, 9/10 what they actually meant was "STs", e.g. "Saw five ST's on teh way homez last night!" (and yes, the lack of a subject is deliberate...
)

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(razzleultra @ 30 Nov 2009, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh come on!

If you're not sure of the rules, surely it's not too taxing to just not put one in in the first place!?

PS The question now is who'll get the most abuse ; me for my original post, or you for suggesting that apostrophes are above "the audience's" head.

Perhaps rather than stickers a copy of Eats Shoots and Leaves would be a more appropriate welcome to the club?

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(razzleultra @ 30 Nov 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, but on this site, 9/10 what they actually meant was "STs", e.g. "Saw five ST's on teh way homez last night!" (and yes, the lack of a subject is deliberate...
)

I think your just stuck up mate, wot does we need proper english for, slong as every one understands, u realy make me wander sometime

·
Registered
773 Posts
QUOTE(Si @ 30 Nov 2009, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perhaps rather than stickers a copy of Eats Shoots and Leaves would be a more appropriate welcome to the club?

I have that book - and it is fantastic for making sure letters are grammatically correct (apostrophe wise
)

*EDIT* spelling mistake corrected - but let us not forget..the conversation was punctuation, not spelling!!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(dave619 @ 30 Nov 2009, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm guessing I'm not the only really bored person on here today!

Maybe just a little

For my next post, I will be decrying the decline in gentleman's formal headwear and campaigning for a return to the pre-decimal system.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts