Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t had my ST very long, only covered 2k miles since I’ve had it, it’s come to me wearing 3 different budget brands and a continental sport contact 5 on the nsr.
I am going to replace all four tyres over the Xmas period, I have currently decided on Michelin Pilot Sport PS2’s with the Porsche ‘N’ rating, according to Porsche the ‘N’ rating stands for Nurburgring where the tyres are tested and the N rated tyres are the only ones that pass all the necessary requirements to be fitted to a Porsche.
I am well aware the I am driving a Ford Focus and not a Porsche before the comments start rolling in!
My thought process is that if this particular model is good enough for Porsche to make their tyre of choice in this size then it must be the best, or is that a load of rubbish?
Does anyone have recommendations of which Michelin’s I should fit.
I basically want to fit the best tyres money will buy for spirited road use, no track days.
Advice welcome 🙏🏻

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PS4’s are the best I’ve had on mine , my mate has got the PS4 and there isn’t a lot of difference tbh except the price 🤔
Yeah the PS2’s I’ve been looking at are more money but I did wonder if it’s more of a sales/marketing deal/ploy Michelin have with Porsche for the PS2’s rather than it actually being a ‘better’ tyre

·
Premium Member
Alan St500
1,421 Posts
Yeah the PS2’s I’ve been looking at are more money but I did wonder if it’s more of a sales/marketing deal/ploy Michelin have with Porsche for the PS2’s rather than it actually being a ‘better’ tyre
I would say for fast road/stuck behind lorries the PS4’s is all you'll need bud they have been an awesome tyre for me 👍

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS4’s are the best I’ve had on mine , my mate has got the PS4 and there isn’t a lot of difference tbh except the price 🤔
you are the third person to recommend the PS4’s to me today.
I had a brief chat with a friend earlier, I told him I was probably getting the N rated PS2’s, he said he would get the PS4’s too.

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
398 Posts
I went from 2 cons and 2 avon to 4 new ps4's and i'm not going to others as i've done 6k on them and they for some reason still look new, noise has nearly gone as well.

Most times you can get a great deal on all 4 ps4's , 114 a peace but i got 25% off due to getting all 4 done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went from 2 cons and 2 avon to 4 new ps4's and i'm not going to others as i've done 6k on them and they for some reason still look new, noise has nearly gone as well.

Most times you can get a great deal on all 4 ps4's , 114 a peace but i got 25% off due to getting all 4 done.
Thanks for the advice, another vote for the PS4!
Glad I came on the forum for advice for this.
I’m lucky, as I work in a garage I do get them at cost price, however every penny counts and the PS4’s are cheaper and obviously come very highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
2016 ST-3 2.0 EcoBoost 250PS Stealth
208 Posts
I’m lucky, as I work in a garage I do get them at cost price, however every penny counts and the PS4’s are cheaper and obviously come very highly recommended.
Just to be clear, there is the PILOT SPORT 4

and the PILOT SPORT 4 S

General opinion is the PILOT SPORT 4 S is the superior tyre. In my experience, changing to the PILOT SPORT 4 S was like night and day.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Must be an empty garage you work at if you weren't aware that pss4's are currently some of the best tyres of choice on the market.

Anyway they get my vote as well. I've just fitted them on my mk2 but done 28k with them on my rs with a little life still in them. They are good tyres.

·
Premium Member
Alan St500
1,421 Posts
you are the third person to recommend the PS4’s to me today.
I had a brief chat with a friend earlier, I told him I was probably getting the N rated PS2’s, he said he would get the PS4’s too.
I know a wheel refurbishment / bodyshop owner and he recommended them to me as he said they are the only tyres that he has never seen cured or cracked and they grip like merry hell 🥰

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Must be an empty garage you work at if you weren't aware that pss4's are currently some of the best tyres of choice on the market.
Anyway they get my vote as well. I've just fitted them on my mk2 but done 28k with them on my rs with a little life still in them. They are good tyres
“Must be an empty garage I work at if I weren’t aware blah blah blah” … what’s with your attitude!! Some one have a bad day? Mrs not putting out? Course I was aware, hence my question regarding Michelin tyres, I was putting it out there on opinions. You sausage! 🙄😆

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, CP320
1,288 Posts
I know a wheel refurbishment / bodyshop owner and he recommended them to me as he said they are the only tyres that he has never seen cured or cracked and they grip like merry hell 🥰
I can send you pics of ps4 cracking. Quite well known for it.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I had PS4 tyres on my last car, they transformed it from the Bridgestones it left the factory with. The PS4S tyres on the ST seem very good but I don’t have a comparison with anything else. Neither type either lasted long enough or will last long enough to properly comment on any cracking, but I haven’t seen anything in 2 years / 40,000 miles on the PS4 or 2 years /16,000 miles on the PS4S.

·
Premium Member
Mk3 ST305
184 Posts
Perhaps I'm swimming against the tide, but having tried PS4S's and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5, I personally favour the Goodyear's. Admittedly it's subjective, but I think the F1's handle better and provide more feedback in the wet.

·
Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, CP320
1,288 Posts
Ps4 no idea which one but the cracking was bad, had to throw away a perfectly good set of tyres. Mitchlins attitude was poor.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Perhaps I'm swimming against the tide, but having tried PS4S's and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5, I personally favour the Goodyear's. Admittedly it's subjective, but I think the F1's handle better and provide more feedback in the wet.
I also prefer the F1s for the exact same reason and since you can get them fitted at around £80 a corner they're fantastic value imo.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts