Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just waved good bye to my Samsung tv, it went into Currys (Tech Guys) for a repair and when I got it back the base and case were scratched to
and there was some kind of glue all over the back of it.

So I have to get a new one through their What ever happens guarantee, the fellas have just taken the old set away and we had a quick chat about tv`s in general and they told me they wouldnt dream of getting another Samsung set, as they "get loads" of returns.

Now Im wondering what is the best telly to get? Still dont know how much Currys are going to give me for my old set, has anyone else had any experiences of this form of replacement with Currys?

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
I,ve had panasonic tv's for years with no issues! Lad has 40" samsung 1080p lcd for 2 years now with no issues, younger lag has lg lcd, and I use a toshiba lcd in bedroom, again all with no issues! The only difference I feel is sound quality, the panasonic is streets ahead of all my other tv's.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had a 40 inch Samsung 6 Series LCD (Top of the range) for 15 months and it failed beyond economical repair! Yet I have had one of their 32 inch tv's in my bedroom and it has worked without problems for over 3 years so far..(touch-wood)
It is luck of the draw really as to wether you get a reliable one or a lemon..
I have compared all of the replacement options for the Samsung and out of all of the makes, the samsung led has the best picture by far in my opionion, so I went for one of those. A 5 year warranty is a must so either get John Lewis to do a price match with the cheapest shop you can find locally then you will get a free 5 year warranty or get a tv from the cheapest website you can find and go for a 5 year warranty from Barmey. They did my warranty for about £77.00!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
get a 100hz sony bravia ive just got one and OMG the picture is crazy. its makes everything kind of look 3d lol i cant explain what i mean but compaired to the parents panasonic and my brothers LG there is a differance. im not just saying it. i only bought it due to the fact i like my sony quaily and name but didnt dream the picture could be this differant.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have 42" samsung from currys which went faulty, after the tech guys made 3 visits and change all the guts in the tv they found it to be a faulty scart lead

I have a polariod lcd tv in the bedroom, it wasnt cheap but the picture/quality is excellent.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(paulgod @ 28 Dec 2009, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had a 40 inch Samsung 6 Series LCD (Top of the range) for 15 months and it failed beyond economical repair! Yet I have had one of their 32 inch tv's in my bedroom and it has worked without problems for over 3 years so far..(touch-wood)
It is luck of the draw really as to wether you get a reliable one or a lemon..
I have compared all of the replacement options for the Samsung and out of all of the makes, the samsung led has the best picture by far in my opionion, so I went for one of those. A 5 year warranty is a must so either get John Lewis to do a price match with the cheapest shop you can find locally then you will get a free 5 year warranty or get a tv from the cheapest website you can find and go for a 5 year warranty from Barmey. They did my warranty for about £77.00!

Have to get another set from Currys due to the warranty, we get issued with a voucher to go and get a new set but I have a feeling we are going to be out of pocket, the lads who took set away say we will possibly only get upto £400 poss £450 max!!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have always bought Panasonics and they are brilliant. However, I stepped away from them two weeks ago and treated myself to A Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500 and its absolutely awesome. Its full 1080p/24p and 100hz, and uses the Bravia 3 engine. Its only an LCD but gets amazing reviews from most magazines. My dad has a Panasonic 42" plasma, and it doesn't even come close to the Bravia. They really are amazing TV's.

Got mine from Digital Direct with 4 year warranty. Sony Bravia

Unfortuantely is another £150 in Currys. Currys & Comet etc really are a compelte rip-off.
KDL-40W5500 - Currys

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
QUOTE(chrisd @ 28 Dec 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have always bought Panasonics and they are brilliant. However, I stepped away from them two weeks ago and treated myself to A Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500 and its absolutely awesome. Its full 1080p/24p and 100hz, and uses the Bravia 3 engine. Its only an LCD but gets amazing reviews from most magazines. My dad has a Panasonic 42" plasma, and it doesn't even come close to the Bravia. They really are amazing TV's.

Got mine from Digital Direct with 4 year warranty. Sony Bravia

Unfortuantely is another £150 in Currys. Currys & Comet etc really are a compelte rip-off.
KDL-40W5500 - Currys

yep thats what ive got. i just cant justify how differant the pic quality is.

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 28 Dec 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its got to be panasonic best picture quality and reliability by far.

Sony bravia would be second.

Until I got the Bravia, I would have been with you 100%, but seriously, there are very very few LCD TVs that would be compared to a Pany Plasma, but the Bravia is more than up to the task. All the quality of a Plasma with non of the drawbacks with screen burn etc.

Heres HDTV's review of the unit. HDTV Review

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
QUOTE(chrisd @ 28 Dec 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Until I got the Bravia, I would have been with you 100%, but seriously, there are very very few LCD TVs that would be compared to a Pany Plasma, but the Bravia is more than up to the task. All the quality of a Plasma with non of the drawbacks with screen burn etc.

Heres HDTV's review of the unit. HDTV Review

I have a Sony KDL32 in the bedroom and agree the pic is fantastic, not a big difference over the panasonic, but having owned several panasonics over the years it woul be the reliability that pips it for me.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Samsung for me, i've got 2 atm a 32" which i've had for about 5 years and a 40" which i've had for 2 years with no problems from either tbh. The pic quality on the new 100hz Samsungs are unreal, the only other flattie i'd look at would be a Sony bravia, as usual mate it's down to presonal preference

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 28 Dec 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Sony KDL32 in the bedroom and agree the pic is fantastic, not a big difference over the panasonic, but having owned several panasonics over the years it woul be the reliability that pips it for me.

Panasonics have always been good for reliability. My dad had a 28" CRT for something like 15 years. It got dropped during a burglary and still plodded on for years. Hopefully the Sony will be as reliable. It didnt really worry me to be honest with the 4 year guarantee. I would also recommend Digital Direct, I have had a few TVs from them over the years and its a 1st class service.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Atm we have 5 Samsung tv`s and until 5 weeks ago didnt have any issues with them. Our 40" went
s up with the power pack giving up, common problem according to others, but the picture was spot on and the others in the house have been trouble free.

We had all Sony before the Samsung and they were great but all CRT, now that LCD/Plasma have replaced them Im reluctant to change from Samsung, to get the equivelant Sony would cost us a few hundred quid more. I dont see why we should be out of pocket just cos Currys have ******* our telly.

We will have to see what valuation they put on ours, it cost us the best part of £700 3 years ago so its just a waiting game now.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
fella at work has had awful probs with his samsung from curry's , peeps are amazed at how cheap big screen telly's are these days ! I really thought my panny was a steal at 2.5 k 4 years ago , but i tell you what , i look at big screen telly's these days & they look really tacky & plasticky . i reckon build quality is the main reason telly's are so cheap these days , panasonic's all day long for me .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.