Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Just a quick post, just wondering what's the current trend towards motor oil. Would I be better running fully, or semi synthetic, or stick with a mineral based product. I used to use Fuchs when I had my Rx-8 that I bought through Opie oils, I may look into their products available.

Nige

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(nilitara @ 2 Feb 2010, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi guys

Just a quick post, just wondering what's the current trend towards motor oil. Would I be better running fully, or semi synthetic, or stick with a mineral based product. I used to use Fuchs when I had my Rx-8 that I bought through Opie oils, I may look into their products available.

Nige

You should only be using either Semi-Synthetic or Fully Synthetic in an ST! If you change it regularly then almost any known brand is fine! I personally have been using Fords own but would be equally happy using Halfords own! Make sure its the right viscosity though! 5W30 for Semi Synthetic and i think 0W40 for Fully Synthetic!

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
Silkolene Pro S is supposed to be very good, but as yet, they don't do any 1ltr bottles.

Amsoil ASL 5W-30 for me. Fully synth, but a POA base rather than ester.

Redline is another very good oil too.

Don't just go for any old 5W-30 as the engine requires one with HTHS (2.9 to 3.5). Also check an oils technical spec for one with a minimum 200C flashpoint. The likes of Motul, Fuchs and Gulf do Ford specific oil.

All of the above are available form Opie Oils.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
QUOTE(carmadhainesy @ 2 Feb 2010, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fords own for, which as just changed from semi to fully synthetic about £45 per gallon, which is not enough i may add when doing oil change...As i found out!

£45 for 4.5 litres, that's up there with Redline, Amsoil and Silkolene Pro S....I wonder who blends it for them.

You need @7 litres for the ST

·
Registered
364 Posts
QUOTE(Lancastrian @ 2 Feb 2010, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>£45 for 4.5 litres, that's up there with Redline, Amsoil and Silkolene Pro S....I wonder who blends it for them.

You need @7 litres for the ST
Thanks for the info, will save me walking to the local garage for another 3ltr's next time i change the oil...

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
QUOTE(rob2006 @ 2 Feb 2010, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>?? they do.. i have 3 sitting in the garage that i bought from opie.

Do you have the 5W-40 ? I spoke with them on Friday about oil choice and they admitted they haven't had any stocks of the 1ltr bottles yet as the 5W-30 is so new.

·
Registered
81 Posts
QUOTE(Lancastrian @ 2 Feb 2010, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you have the 5W-40 ? I spoke with them on Friday about oil choice and they admitted they haven't had any stocks of the 1ltr bottles yet as the 5W-30 is so new.

yes 5-40 is what i've got. I thought thats what you were refering to in your post.

I suppose i cant use that in the ST then?, My car was serviced before i bought it and its only done 1000ish miles since then so its not something i've bothered to look into yet, I have about 9lts off the stuff.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I used to have Silkolene Pro S 5W/40 in my garage that I used in my Civic Type R. Also had the 1L top up bottles.
Great oil but not the correct grade for the ST so it got donated to someone on here who could use it in one of their other cars.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would use only what Ford say, that is 5w30 oil that meets Ford specs. Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A1 being the best as its now a Fully syn spec according to Castrol technical.

0w40 is only listed for the RS...so I personally wouldn't use that grade. Whether it makes a difference or not is anyones guess as its almost technically the same engine.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
QUOTE(rob2006 @ 2 Feb 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yes 5-40 is what i've got. I thought thats what you were refering to in your post.

I suppose i cant use that in the ST then?, My car was serviced before i bought it and its only done 1000ish miles since then so its not something i've bothered to look into yet, I have about 9lts off the stuff.

Rob

Although the 5W-40 may be acceptable in the ST, it should only be used until you can get 5W-30 in.
The ST engine requires an oil with a high temp/high shear viscocity of between 2.9 and 3.5cP (ASTM D 4683 @ 150°C, 1.0 X 106 s.-1), no figures provided on the data sheet.
The flash point of the Silkolene Pro S is also below 200C, which seems to be indicative of ester based oils. A higher flashpoint temperature will help in preventing the oil glazing on the pistons and cylinder walls.
Importantly though the Kinematic Viscocity Index at 100C is 14.9 and that definately falls outside the requirements, even though the oil is ACEA A3 type specification. The cold crank viscocity is also borderline.

Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 is more than adequate for standard cars or those with a mild tune, however it has an even lower flash point, which would worry me. It's that ester base again.

Ian

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
why not use Silkolene with the correct grade? opie oil has them and its relatively inexpensive.

To be fair oil properties are not constant. Grade wise they tend to get thicker with use. I think 5w-40 is what any 5w-30 oil will be after 3-5k miles.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
Oh-kay. Just spoken to Castrol Technical Helpline and it was suggested that the Edge Diesel 0W-40 would be a better bet than the Edge Sport 0W-40, with Edge 5W-30 being the preferred oil.

Magnatec 5W-30 isn't actually an ester based oil, but has ester additives.

A POA based 5W-30 oil would be the preferred option for maximum protection.

The 0W-40 now going into the RS is to Ford spec WSS M2C-937A.

The WSS M2C-913B which is the oil specification for the ST has been superceded with a 913C specification to ACEA A5/B5 standards.

So, if your car is still under warranty, purchase an oil to Ford WSS M2C-913B specification, or a good quality 5W-30.
If it's out of warranty, then a 5W-30 oil with a POA base(ACEA A1/B1 or A5/B5), or a 0W-40 to Ford WSS M2C-937A.
However the 0W-40 will not allow extended drain intervals and should be changed at 6000 miles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.