Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Have searched previous threads so I hope this isn't a repost.

My AC is no longer cold. I suspect a re-charge is required. Tbh I am not a huge fan of using A/C but I should really get it working again. I have a 65 plate ST3 and my local, friendly AC recharger advises the car is right on the boundary of old/new gas.

They're advising it's either 1234YS (new gas type) or R134A (old gas type). There's a £70 difference so I'm keen to learn!

Where can I confirm this? I expected a sticker on the top of my radiator area but I only have rad fan hazard labels there.

Thanks

Alan

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,585 Posts
I would suspect it's the old type as the car would have been type approved before the change, but as @PaulG says there should be a sticker somewhere telling you.

A lot of companies 'cheated' this change by having facelift models type approved as the pre-facelift 'plus minor changes' because apparently the new gas type is more flammable and needs extra fire supression which they didn't want to spend money on.

·
Registered
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
2,275 Posts
I cant understand why anyone wouldnt use ac, especially with warm weather, even in the winter , it acts as a dehumidifier and demists the windows, if you have ac, you are advised to use it for a minimum of ten minutes every day, to keep the oil pumped around the system, to prevent damage to parts of the system through lack of use.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If there is no sticker, ring Ford dealer, they should be able to tell from the VIN.

BTW just for information. The refrigerant was changed in new cars a few years ago as R134a is a high CO2e (carbon dioxide equivalent; it's the new way of measuring greenhouse gases) version and the new ones, there are two commonly used now, have virtually zero CO2e.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Plus, the new stuff is double the price, just another way of making more money from the motorist.
That will (is) changing all the time with refrigerants, though. I would expect that as of today R134a will be more expensive than the R1234s. It's an easy way of phasing out the "bad" refrigerants. I am in the industry but don't deal with cars so can't confirm. With other commercial refrigerants, as soon as a new one is released (and they keep changing every five minutes lately) the cost of the old "bad" equivalent triples in price overnight.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Mk3 had R-134a when released and I don't recall any subsequent change.
I doubt that the later cars had 134a, but might be wrong. IIRC 2015-16 was when everyone changed to the R1234s. It will be a Climate Change policy not just a manufacturer's decision. Unless, as you said earlier, they could get away with not changing until model revision time.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,585 Posts
I believe that once a car is type approved with a certain type then it doesn't have to be changed mid-model if the regulations change, hence the way some manufacturers are cheating the rules.

My C43 was built in 2019, but it has R-134a refrigerant in the A/C. Although the face lifted C-Class saloon has a model designation of W205, it was actually type approved as an updated W204 so Mercedes didn't have to use the new type of gas and provide the extra fire supression under the bonnet. W204 is what it says on the label in the door shut, but the VIN has W205 in it

Reactions: Alb

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Plus, the new stuff is double the price, just another way of making more money from the motorist.
It was supposed to be cheaper - I remember all the fuss about it at the time. However, that hasn't turned out to be the case!

I recently had the RS re-gassed, and mine was the oldest car there (17 plate) - the number of 18 and 19 plate BMWs and VWs was quite a surprise.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 2015 FL (build date: 02/2015) and i have just successfully re-gassed with R134A. There is nothing on the slam panel or the manual or anything clear online from what i found. I did read however that the low pressure port is longer on the 1234YS and so the R134A quick release won't latch on to it to prevent the wrong gas being used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spoke with my local Ford dealer. They don't offer A/C recharging but recommended the local auto shop several miles from me. They did advise that older gas types have black port caps whereas newer gas have green port caps. Mine are black which suggests R-134A but the proof will be in the pudding!

·
Registered
342 Posts
They're advising it's either 1234YS (new gas type) or R134A (old gas type). There's a £70 difference so I'm keen to learn!
Hey Alan, can I ask how you got on with this? I'm the same and hardly ever use the a/c but due to the baking temps I've gone to use it over the weekend and its just blowing warm. Did you figure out which gas it was and did it make a huge difference getting it re-gassed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ST4ME very sorry for the delay. Used the local auto spares place who did the job in 30 mins. Had the big cylinder of R-134A waiting on the counter when I arrived. Re-gassed no problem and was cold as ice.

Cut to - started losing effectivess after a week and then non-existent. I clearly have a leak or perished seals somewhere. It's not priority for me to solve just now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.