Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
CP320
1,645 Posts
From an engineering perspective, bad.
I think this is very fair. In terms of aesthetics, some people think the wider stance looks better. I personally think that trying to mimic the RS look doesn't end well at all but I respect people's choice in the matter.

Wheel spacers are unquestionably bad when it comes to handling, tyre wear etc and even dangerous if they snap off when driving.

·
Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, Collins CP2
1,523 Posts
I think this is very fair. In terms of aesthetics, some people think the wider stance looks better. I personally think that trying to mimic the RS look doesn't end well at all but I respect people's choice in the matter.

Wheel spacers are unquestionably bad when it comes to handling, tyre wear etc and even dangerous if they snap off when driving.
I'm sorry but whilst I respect your opinion I totally disagree.

1. I never wanted to make my st look like an RS, I just wanted to fill the arches.
2. My tyres are wearing normally just like they did before spacers.
3. Handling has not had any ill effects, turning circle feels slightly worse but was never good in the first place.
4. Snapping off, like anything in life buy cheap spacers and bad things can happen.
Please show snapped eibach spacers.
If spacers are so dangerous then they would be banned.

I get from an engineering point of view more strain is bad, but when you feel this is happening you simply replace them.
More strain is put on any st by upping the boost, don't see many owners keeping the boost standard just in case bad things may possibly happen.
Rant over
Peace ✌

·
Registered
MK3.5 ST-2 (Frozen White)
444 Posts
I have them on mine and will highly recommend them. For me, it’s looks better than standard and mine certainly corners better at speed than any car I’ve had in the past without them. Personal choice really, do what you feel is right for you.

·
Registered
ST225 - CP340
1,254 Posts
Had to stick 20mm spacers on the front (previously ran 15 front/20rear) due to bbk and the car was horrible to drive. Tramlined badly as well as bump steer - it was noticeably worse after switching from 15 to 20.

Now running wheels with a smaller offset and it's made a massive difference. Handling is amazing now. Granted the arches aren't filled as well - so aesthetically the car isn't as nice - but boy the handling is better!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you buy the straight up metal ones from the likes of halfords or ebay they can be bad as they have a tolerance to the hub and a tolerance to the wheel. This tolerance added up actually places the weight of the car on the studs/ bolts and cause horrific vibrations.

A spacer like an St suspension dzx actually use a composite spigot ring which is an extremely tight and exact fit to the wheel and hub and is passed via the TUV board in Germany. They've actually been tested on race cars during the 24hr nurburgring race to great effect.

It may be worth looking into these before truly condeming a spacer. I myself don't like them on track cars due to the loads put through the car in general. However on a road car, as long as they are not ridiculous and are fitted correctly then they are perfectly fine.

Just as a bit of background on myself I worked in the R&D, motorsport and technical department of KW suspensions for 5 years so I'm more than happy to answers any questions people may have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.