Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight while driving home i suddenly realised there was a very loud screeching, metal scraping type noise coming from the driver front wheel area, no change in the feel of the car just this horrendous noise, i reckon its the wheel bearing, although not 100% - cars to go in at 8am tomorrow with no guarantee they can get it looked at before the weekend - typical as my daughters due a baby (well actually she was due 4 days ago) and the Mrs is flipping out as we have no car in the case of an emergency (ie daughter goes into labour). The noises doesnt occur when the car is stationery but always when its moving.

Does it sound like the wheel bearing? - anyone?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Possibly. Other one it could be, depending how old your ST is - the earlier ones were fitted with dust shields behind the front discs, if yours has these you may have a stone or debris trapped in there and rubbing on the disc?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 28 Jan 2010, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Possibly. Other one it could be, depending how old your ST is - the earlier ones were fitted with dust shields behind the front discs, if yours has these you may have a stone or debris trapped in there and rubbing on the disc?

I would say what Troy has said. It seems to happen to my ST quite often. One way to free the affending object is to reverse the car quickly in a safe place of course. This works for me 80% of the time. The other way is to push the disc guard away from the disc which you can still do with the wheel on with a long screwdriver

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
It could also be the bearing in the alternator braking up, mine did this then went quiet again. The alternator failed a couple of weeks later.

·
Registered
138 Posts
mine made a horrendous noise from the passenger wheel arch when the gearbox went, wasnt long after the noise started that I lost 3,5 and 6 gears

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi, whatever the outcome would love to know as i got same prob sounds awful, its come and gone a few times which makes me agree with stone theory.

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE(carmadhainesy @ 2 Feb 2010, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, whatever the outcome would love to know as i got same prob sounds awful, its come and gone a few times which makes me agree with stone theory.

Hi I hit a pot hole 15 mins after picking up my brand new st, seems to make a greating noise first thing in the morning and then what appears to be lots of raod noise ?? do you find that with the ST's ( i know they have big wheels and tyres ) I have had it back to the garage and they say its OK just cannot get my head around the noise, will up the radio perhaps.

Cheers

Brett

·
Registered
364 Posts
QUOTE(Brettsie @ 4 Feb 2010, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi I hit a pot hole 15 mins after picking up my brand new st, seems to make a greating noise first thing in the morning and then what appears to be lots of raod noise ?? do you find that with the ST's ( i know they have big wheels and tyres ) I have had it back to the garage and they say its OK just cannot get my head around the noise, will up the radio perhaps.

Cheers

Brett
If there is a noise it shouldn't be there simple, maybe jack the car up before you drive it for the 1st time as the noise will be at its worst , which gives you a better chance of finding the problem.
Could be something simple like the dust gard around the disk rubbing slightly. .Maybe change the wheel with one from the back to start with, but for noise to be there continuously is more likely to be wheel bearing me thinks. Also check for grease around the shaft joints as could have split boot thats dried up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
QUOTE(Si @ 4 Feb 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>+1
I think it's the disk thats breaking up from the top edge, after so long there becomes a lip which i think starts breaking, this could see bits of steel jaming between the gard and the disk maybe...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HI

Yup indeed it was as stone trapped under the sheild - ive an 06 plate and on the way to the garage the next day it stopped - i still put it into the garage though as at the time i had no idea what was causing the noise or whether it would come back, and they said my brakes were low anyway - so got new brake pads fitted - at least i know where to look now just in case another stone gets stuck - what a horrendous noise it made though i thought at first it sounded like an expensive repair, and it was all down to a stone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts