Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, how do you guys wash your ST's!? I'm pretty basic when it comes to cleaning, my routine is as follows;

Hose car down
Wash all over with Zymol car shampoo / wax
Chamois dry / clean door shuts
Polish with Autoglym super resin
Apply 'tyre shine'

What's your routine? And what products do you swear by!!?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I pull up at my local serbian/kurdish car wash...shout out the window...hi pal, number 3 please put the window back up and listen to some tunes while they wash/wax, degrease the wheels clean them chamois the car off then if i am feeling flush get them to hoover the inside polish the glass inside and out and shine the dash up clean the door shuts and gel the tyres so they like new....pay the guy £8 and drive away.....not a bad job at all...they go over the wheels and body a few times...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I wash the wheels, rinse, rinse the car, wash, rinse, clay bar, dry, HD cleanse, 2 thin coats of HD wax, dress tires, polish glass, every 6 months. Each week I wash the wheels, rinse, rinse car, wash, rinse, semi dry, top up wax with aqua wax and buff, dress tyres, polish glass. Every two months I put on another layer of HD wax in stead of aqua wax. After 6 months I do the clay bar and HD cleanse thing again

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I wash the wheels, rinse, rinse the car, wash, rinse, clay bar, dry, HD cleanse, 2 thin coats of HD wax, dress tires, polish glass, every 6 months. Each week I wash the wheels, rinse, rinse car, wash, rinse, semi dry, top up wax with aqua wax and buff, dress tyres, polish glass. Every two months I put on another layer of HD wax in stead of aqua wax. After 6 months I do the clay bar and HD cleanse thing again
Think i am missing something here!?????......ah yeah a driveway to wash it on Lol..

·
Registered
962 Posts
I pull up at my local serbian/kurdish car wash...shout out the window...hi pal, number 3 please put the window back up and listen to some tunes while they wash/wax, degrease the wheels clean them chamois the car off then if i am feeling flush get them to hoover the inside polish the glass inside and out and shine the dash up clean the door shuts and gel the tyres so they like new....pay the guy £8 and drive away.....not a bad job at all...they go over the wheels and body a few times...
Absolutely!! Once the roads clean up in spring I'll probably do it myself but until then the local polish lads are more than good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Absolutely!! Once the roads clean up in spring I'll probably do it myself but until then the local polish lads are more than good enough for me.
They always do a good job....cant fault em......and its a bit posh..one guy washes cars in his suit!....and trainers haha

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Noooooooo, dirty water, dirty clothes, bloke who doesn't give a
about your car
probably better for the paint not to be cleaned at all
seriously pal....they do a good job and they always changing the water...i wouldnt take it there if it was bad

·
Registered
549 Posts
I try and avoid the immigrants. They use the same mitt for everything! Plus they're lethal with a pressure hose, they've blown the weights off my mother in laws wheels before on her VXR! I used to take my ****ter to them, but not the ST
I actually enjoy washing my car....Sad I know!lol.

·
Registered
335 Posts
1. Rinse car
2. PH neutral Snow foam car (when it's really dirty)
3. Wash and wax with Meguiars
4. Dry car
5. Clean wheels
6. Clay bar using quick detailer (every 4 or so washes)
7. Polish with Autoglym super resin polish
8. Seal with Meguiars liquid wax (inc. wheels)
9. Meguiars tyre gel (smells so good makes you want to drink it haha)

steps 7 and 8 mean alot less cleaning for a few weeks

I have created a topic showing the results i got from washing this way.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow some of you guys really go to town on your cars! Must take ages!! Takes me at least an hour to do it my way, although I do it very week to keep the salt off. I leave detailing until the summer

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
My method is
1. Hose car down..
2. Wash with zymol car shampoo..then rinse
3. Dry with a car valeting microfibre towel
4. Then polish with meguairs ultimate polish..( every couple of months I'll use a paint cleaner before this)
5. Then apply Dodo juice bananarama wax and polish off.
6. Just started using armour all tyre snow foam as I don't believe in these nasty silicone based tyre gels and liquids as they get into the pores of your sidewalls and over a period of time will cause the rubber to crack and desperate ...not good with the temps rising and dropping.
Oh then to finish meguairs glass cleaner for the windows
And autosol for the pipes.

And I forgot meguairs ultimate detailer for when it gets dusty ..but normally results in me just washing it again anyway

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
seriously pal....they do a good job and they always changing the water...i wouldnt take it there if it was bad
Sorry mate but ifs anything like the one I used to go to, they use cement cleaner on your wheels which will eventually lift the paint and cause them to bubble, then just look at the way they wash it, they will rinse the sponge maybe once or twice during the wash so in effect they are moving grit that's trapped in the sponge all over the bodywork and scratching the
out of your paint, I agree for some its convenient and I was one of those people but since having my car detailed and machine polished and seeing just how bad the paintwork really was and having my wheels refurb'd the only person who touches my paintwork is me

My wash routine go's little like this

Spray prewash on whole of bottom of the car working my way up and eventually covering whole car
Spray prewash on wheels, once a month I will use a proper wheel cleaner as my wheels have been removed (more than once) and sealed/waxed so take very little to get clean
Setup jet wash
Jet wash off whole car including the wheels
Wash using 2 buckets with grit guards and lambs wool MIT
Wash wheels using separate noodle MIT
Jet wash whole car after wash
Pat dry car with drying towel ( not shammy leather)

Now I either go over it with a QD to remove any water marks or will go over it with a wax, I currently have dodo juice purple haze and hybrid supernatural hybrid and I must say the hybrid is excellent also have a tub of R222 and a few autosmart waxes (reminds me I have enough waxes now and must stop buying)

I then use the QD on the wheels which also helps with keeping them clean as it acts like a wax on the faces so beads well and dress the tyres

I then move onto the doors, boot and bonnet shuts and the inside

Once a month I go over the engine

Twice a year the car is clayed and fully stripped back and then it gets a polish, sealer and wax coat after

May seems like a lot of work but the results speak for themselves and its well worth it and I find it sadly rewarding

Here she is after a quick wash and a coat of supernatural

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Noooooooo, dirty water, dirty clothes, bloke who doesn't give a
about your car
probably better for the paint not to be cleaned at all
But with all due respect this thread seperates the caring to the non caring about our beloved and blessed motor vehicles.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Sorry mate but ifs anything like the one I used to go to, they use cement cleaner on your wheels which will eventually lift the paint and cause them to bubble, then just look at the way they wash it, they will rinse the sponge maybe once or twice during the wash so in effect they are moving grit that's trapped in the sponge all over the bodywork and scratching the
out of your paint, I agree for some its convenient and I was one of those people but since having my car detailed and machine polished and seeing just how bad the paintwork really was and having my wheels refurb'd the only person who touches my paintwork is me

Spray prewash on whole of bottom of the car working my way up and eventually covering whole car
Spray prewash on wheels, once a month I will use a proper wheel cleaner as my wheels have been removed (more than once) and sealed/waxed so take very little to get clean
Setup jet wash

Now I either go over it with a QD to remove any water marks or will go over it with a wax, I currently have dodo juice purple haze and hybrid supernatural hybrid and I must say the hybrid is excellent also have a tub of R222 and a few autosmart waxes (reminds me I have enough waxes now and must stop buying)

I then use the QD on the wheels which also helps with keeping them clean as it acts like a wax on the faces so beads well and dress the tyres

Twice a year the car is clayed and fully stripped back and then it gets a polish, sealer and wax coat after

May seems like a lot of work but the results speak for themselves and its well worth it and I find it sadly rewarding

Holy
mike!!.....you fancy doing mine?.....I be honest and i think i go get the asylum seekers to do it is because i have no driveway..its basically on the street and the guy next door is always cleaning his vectra and i always laugh at him rain or shine he's cleaning it......I need to buy a good bit of cleaning kit and do it myself...think its just laziness but i guess if i had a drive and nice weather i would probably enjoy doing it

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts

Setup jet wash

And you call me an ocd'r....lol

·
Registered
418 Posts
i usually take it down to asda carpark, pay the nice man 3 quid and when im done shopping go home and admire all the swirl marks

Here's what i do: rinse with jet washer, snow foam, rinse again, wash (2 bucket method), rinse, clay it if i can be bothered, rinse again, towl dry, apply wax.
could do with some paint correction doing at some point but i don't fancy trying that myself lol

1 - 20 of 55 Posts