Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im on the look out for another car and been looking at the focus sts as it has everything i want and does everything i need and just wondering what are they like to live with i wouldnt want a standard one maybe touching 300 bhp as i like to do track days and 1/4 racing so its gota be able to handle what ever i give it so would 300 bhp be ok to live with without killing me or getting me banned also whats the cost of running one as a daily drive ie insurance car tax n dont forget the petrol

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(j4ffa @ 3 Jan 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hey guys im on the look out for another car and been looking at the focus sts as it has everything i want and does everything i need and just wondering what are they like to live with i wouldnt want a standard one maybe touching 300 bhp as i like to do track days and 1/4 racing so its gota be able to handle what ever i give it so would 300 bhp be ok to live with without killing me or getting me banned also whats the cost of running one as a daily drive ie insurance car tax n dont forget the petrol

My insurance is £500 with 300bhp of mods declared. Petrol is terrible to be honest
I fill up every week £53ish and it gets me 220-250 miles.

A 300bhp is faster than what the 0-60 stats suggest (sub 6 seconds) in my opinion as it due to traction with FWD. Once rolling it really shifts - in gear acceleration is fantastic and embarresses much more expensive machinery

Chris

·
Registered
74 Posts
+1 on that. Insurance was not too bad actually, I was surprised, I pay just under 400 notes with an SP30 aswell.

Fuel is a killer!! But well, well worth it. I used to hate my drive back home to Luton but actually quite enjoy it now!

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
QUOTE(j4ffa @ 3 Jan 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hey guys im on the look out for another car and been looking at the focus sts as it has everything i want and does everything i need and just wondering what are they like to live with i wouldnt want a standard one maybe touching 300 bhp as i like to do track days and 1/4 racing so its gota be able to handle what ever i give it so would 300 bhp be ok to live with without killing me or getting me banned also whats the cost of running one as a daily drive ie insurance car tax n dont forget the petrol

I'm all out of breath reading that....

Tank of petrol gets me around 250-300 miles of mostly bimbling backwards and forwards to work (a 15 mile round trip of country lanes and queuing traffic when in town). Because I'm a priss and a sucker for advertising gimmicks, I tend to use Shell Optimax or Tesco 99.

For insurance, I pay around £470 with full NCB and the mods listed below.

Tax is whatever Captain Darling says it is this week.

·
Registered
588 Posts
they are good everyday cars will pootle along in 6th all day if you want.
the petrol is a issue it is very thirsty

getting more power is quite cheap pick up a 2nd hand DS or CR or BF for a couple of hundred, but if you are doing 1/4 racing be prepared to get a new clutch as it may not stand it I belive the RS clutch is about £950 fitted

·
Registered
379 Posts
they are a great car to live with, they drive so smooth and really pack a punch when you put your foot down.

as many people have already said the only downer is that it drinks like george best on a bender. I use it everyday an average 22-24MPG with normalish driving, and i did get 31MPG on a recent motorway journey with hardley any traffic.

If your worried about economy get something else. If you want a drivers car - get the ST!

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
As a day to day car the ST is spot on and very comfortable for long drive although as said is a little thirsty.

I would also say around 280-300bhp is just about right for the front wheel (without further mods) but it isnt the best for track use with it being so nose heavy in my opinion, once or twice a year maybe but for more regular use it would need alot spent on the suspension, diff and brakes to make it any where near good.

Dont get me wrong you can have fun on the track but not as much as I would like because as I use mine for everyday use I couldn't put up with the ride I had with coilovers on my last ST but it did corner well

·
Registered
269 Posts
The ST is an awesome car for the money, mine is a ST2 mountune 260BHP. Quick enough for me at the weekend and a lovely smooth car for my missus to drive to work in. I fill it with V-Power but it's each to their own. I love it! The only thing ill be changing it for is the RS

·
Registered
481 Posts
Its cheaper to insure, better on fuel and a nicer car to live with than my Imprezza
I just have Code Red at the moment but its plenty quick enough once moving. And the wife likes driving the car which was always a issue with the Scooby

·
Registered
57 Posts
We've had ours for a week now and so far we are very impressed, racked up 480 miles now and taking things steady for the first 1,000 as suggrested by Ford. We are seeing around 24 to 27 mpg at the moment, depending on journey but we have not yet given it the berries as we have our 4 month old daughter in the car so that may help. The wife is a more aggressive driver than e and demands a lot from a car and she loves the way the ST drove on the test drive.

So far we have more pros than cons, very comfortable to drive, we are impresed with the build quality with no squeeks or rattles, fits all three of us very well and good boot space for pram, shopping etc with that gorgeous overture of the 5 pot turbo.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The ST is the perfect car for me. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Really impressed me over Christmas.
Drove 350 miles back to Northern Ireland and got 33mpg sitting at 70mph the whole way.
The heated front screen is a brilliant feature at this time of year. Not sure how I lived without it.
Xenons are also awesome. Not many cars have them as standard at that price point.
The five pot turbo has soooo much mid-range torque, driving through scotland on the A75, it was the perfect tool for safe overtaking. And it sounds sooo good!
The bluetooth and usb option for £200 is a great way to manage your music and so convenient for using your phone in the car.
On the journey back down I sat in the outside lane of the M6 for most of it and the car is so quiet and composed at speed. Really relaxing. Still got 29mpg as well.
I get 26mpg on the commute to work.
Yea its hard on tyres and fuel, and a bit of a pain to work at, but you'd be hard pushed to get a better all-rounder that can cruise on motorways and blast b-roads at the same time, without having to rev the head of it.
The only things I'd improve would be the high seating position, lack of cruise control and the rubbish looking wheels. The facelift should have really had some multi-spoke wheels like the only ST170 or new RS.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If the bluetooth was only a £200 extra i have a good mind to find the previous owner of mine and give him a right good slap
Its the only thing that i do wish mine had fitted

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can drive it like a normal Focus and be very comfortable and love it as an all round car i dont find the fuel a huge issue but it is thristy but so worth is thrust me u will forget it when u put the foot down

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool cheers guys well im putting £20 a week in my rs2000 n getting 120 mile so sounds about the same for the st so this is ok for motorway driving and everyday but on the track and 1/4 mile it suffers

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
QUOTE(j4ffa @ 4 Jan 2010, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cool cheers guys well im putting £20 a week in my rs2000 n getting 120 mile so sounds about the same for the st so this is ok for motorway driving and everyday but on the track and 1/4 mile it suffers

I found that my
is pretty much the same on fuel as my
2000. So considering the huge difference in power I'm well happy with fuel consumption.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(colin-mck @ 4 Jan 2010, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The only things I'd improve would be the high seating position, lack of cruise control and the rubbish looking wheels. The facelift should have really had some multi-spoke wheels like the only ST170 or new RS.

I like the wheels. It's one of the things I wouldn't change on the car. The standard peashooters at the back and "takeaway tray" style silencer you can see from the back are the worst aesthetic features in my opinion

Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts