Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you had no experience of the ST , didnt know this club existed, you were walking past a garage saw an ST fell in love and bought it on the spot, you ring your broker and insure it, a week later you are involved in an accident with your car requiring major repair, but as you had no previous of the ST you didnt realise your car wasnt standard and had in fact been remapped with a full exhaust system etc, could you get away with saying you had no idea? would you still be legally covered and would you get your car repaired ?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
its just another problem for the insurance to wiggle out of. at the end of the day they can just void it. you lose loads of money for saving £xxx amount.
if you bought the car like it there is always that arguement with the garage for not telling you it was modified..
i see it as a tricky situation really..

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i was just thinking someone who didnt know the ins and outs of the ST could be easily caught out as there are quite a few modded cars about now and a fair few must find themselves on garage forecourts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
yeh ive seen a few st's in ford garages with a few mods. the garage normally takes it off and flogs it to the lads in the workshop lol but they do get through sometimes.
i have also had the odd year on some of my old cars when i couldnt get a good quote with the mods and havnt declaired them. naughty i know but ive done it and though if i bump this car there just gona sit and say its void....scary really..

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
As has been mentioned many times, an insurance agreement is based on upmost faith that the information given to arrange the cover is true and complete.

Anyone who has (hypothetically?) got themselves in to this situation will struggle to make a legitimate claim, especially if the remap and exhaust are now abundently clear to them (hypothetically).

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
QUOTE(loko @ 2 Feb 2010, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>you had no experience of the ST , didnt know this club existed, you were walking past a garage saw an ST fell in love and bought it on the spot, you ring your broker and insure it, a week later you are involved in an accident with your car requiring major repair, but as you had no previous of the ST you didnt realise your car wasnt standard and had in fact been remapped with a full exhaust system etc, could you get away with saying you had no idea? would you still be legally covered and would you get your car repaired ?
it happend to me a while ago im my bm, it was a 318is coupe with m3 every thing including wheels all that happend was they gave me a qoute with all the bits on and i had to pay the extra on the insurance or it wearnt getting fixed so i did and all was fine

·
Vendor
523 Posts
If you are very lucky you may get away with paying the additonal premium which would have been due of the mods were disclosed. If you are not so lucky, your claim is void.

It is down to you to make sure you are insuring what you say you are insuring, if that involves paying for an engineer to go over the car if you are unsure of mods then so beit.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(SkyInsurance @ 3 Feb 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you are very lucky you may get away with paying the additonal premium which would have been due of the mods were disclosed. If you are not so lucky, your claim is void.

It is down to you to make sure you are insuring what you say you are insuring, if that involves paying for an engineer to go over the car if you are unsure of mods then so beit.

of course the question was only hypothetical as i,ve just taken out my insurance with yourselves {and declared everything} dealt with luke, very nice chap

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Rich is right, a contract of the utmost good faith, however, if the mistake is innocent it would be a harsh company that would quash a claim. There is a simple methodology in regard to risk, as others have said pay for the risk retrospectively when this come to light, it is however a burden upon the insured to prove the bargain originally made constituted a contract of the utmost good faith. There is also a duty of care and conduct upon those engaged in a trade such as car sales to inform customers of these things, so if a claim were lost, then there would be a possible action for negligence and the associated loss, and no you cant disclaim these things out.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(Si @ 3 Feb 2010, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rich is right, a contract of the utmost good faith, however, if the mistake is innocent it would be a harsh company that would quash a claim. There is a simple methodology in regard to risk, as others have said pay for the risk retrospectively when this come to light, it is however a burden upon the insured to prove the bargain originally made constituted a contract of the utmost good faith. There is also a duty of care and conduct upon those engaged in a trade such as car sales to inform customers of these things, so if a claim were lost, then there would be a possible action for negligence and the associated loss, and no you cant disclaim these things out.

you certainly have a way with words si, i dont understand most of it but it does sound good

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
QUOTE(Craig_SG1 @ 3 Feb 2010, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So why declare it then?

would you pay to declare something that can be removed without trace within 2mins? i have due to the fact greenlight done all my mods for free so i took advantage of this....

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
It's not that simple though and premium doesn't go up that much anyway if anything when declared.
If you have a serious crash or it is stolen then crashed I don't know how it can be removed, also I don't think it is completely untraceable as it will probably show some form of date stamp where the Ecu has been altered.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I thought a garage could tell if you had had a map on. I took mine in for warranty work last year took the map off but the tech still knew that I had had a map on he asked me about it and said that i didnt need to take it off because the warranty work had nothing to do with the map.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts