Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I am new to this. I have recently brought a 2017 focus st and I am finding that the turbo boost is going nearly to the red and have been told it shouldn't be doing this. Is this standard or has someone had it mapped?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sounds a bit odd to me.

Both my 2016 and 2018 Focus ST3's boost (depending on gear) to about the middle of the boost gauge on the dash (IE. about half way).

Out of interest. Bought from a garage? or private? Either way, you need to find out if it's been modified. If only because your insurance company will want to know and should you be unlucky enough to have to make a claim, then they might well refuse to honour your policy due to an undeclared modification!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
How will they ever know it's been modded if he doesn't tell them, it's kind of invisible.
Depends on what (if anything) has been done. Might be more than just a re-map and if things in the engine bay are not stock, then any insurance assessor worth their money could/would notice this. Should the OP be unfortunate enough to have to make a claim. Plus insurance companies tend to take a much closer look at a claim if the driver is a relatively young male driving a high performance car. Unless things have changed since I worked for GA.

Not saying it's likely to happen. Just not worth taking the risk in my opinion.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've posted video on YouTube have a look

Unless the boost gauge is faulty, then definitely looks like something's been done to the engine.

If it was me, I'd be straight onto the garage to try and find out what the story is here. At worst, I would have thought that a decent technician should be able to check the relevant files in the ECU to see if it was running a stock map. No expert here though myself.

·
Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS
3,004 Posts
Hi there I am new to this. I have recently brought a 2017 focus st and I am finding that the turbo boost is going nearly to the red and have been told it shouldn't be doing this. Is this standard or has someone had it mapped?
Mapped I would say both my pfl and FL when std would only boost to about half way but when mapped almost full boost...just enjoy I would mate :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Standard boost is 1.2 BAR / 18 PSI.

Max boost I ever got with MR300 is 1.43 BAR / 20.82 PSI.

Boost gauge goes upto 2 bar so normal stock max boost would put the needle just over half way.

You should get that checked out, too much boost could blow your engine.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Standard boost is 1.2 BAR / 18 PSI.
Max boost I ever got with MR300 is 1.43 BAR / 20.82 PSI.

Boost gauge goes upto 2 bar so normal stock max boost would put the needle just over half way.
You should get that checked out, too much boost could blow your engine.
Agreed. Even on MR300 with full supporting mods it would boost to 3/4 max. Either your gauge is ******* or theres an old map left on the car which is rather aggressive on boost. If its the latter I would be more concerned about running this map with the likelihood that all of the supporting mods the prior owner had fitted were removed prior to selling. Unless you notice aftermarket parts left on the car? If so should answer the original question for you.

If in doubt get it checked out. Pushing that much boost without supporting mods Id be worried about blowing pistons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts