Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My ST is due a service. (3rd year Major service).

I went down to puma build for an inspection on the car after buying at the weekend and they recommended i go for a fully synth 0w-30 oil.

What brand is everyone using in their car? TBH ill more than likely take the car to puma build for a service although they're closed for Christmas and it needs a service asap.

Thanks,

Russ

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE(Rustie @ 22 Dec 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi guys,

My ST is due a service. (3rd year Major service).

I went down to puma build for an inspection on the car after buying at the weekend and they recommended i go for a fully synth 0w-30 oil.

What brand is everyone using in their car? TBH ill more than likely take the car to puma build for a service although they're closed for Christmas and it needs a service asap.

Thanks,

Russ

Ford Recommend Castrol Magnatec A1 5w30, although some dealerships use whatever they can get the cheapest. It costs me £50 for an oil and filter change at my local dealer, and you cant even buy fully synthetic for that price. The Magnatec 5w30 is good stuff but I get mine changed every 6k anyway. Not worth taking it anywhere else or getting my hands oily for that price

·
Registered
720 Posts
QUOTE(chrisd @ 22 Dec 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ford Recommend Castrol Magnatec A1 5w30, although some dealerships use whatever they can get the cheapest. It costs me £50 for an oil and filter change at my local dealer, and you cant even buy fully synthetic for that price. The Magnatec 5w30 is good stuff but I get mine changed every 6k anyway. Not worth taking it anywhere else or getting my hands oily for that price

Does Ford not actually recommend their own Formula e 5w-30 semi-synthetic first and foremost?
This is what I have been using for past 2 years and will keep using for duration of my ownership. Does the job just fine.
I believe the Catrol Magnatec 5w-30 meets Ford specification as well as does Halfords own brand of 5w-30.

You will receive differing opinions, but I believe the 5w-30 semi-synthetic is more than sufficient if you are carrying out the scheduled services.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
QUOTE(GJM @ 22 Dec 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does Ford not actually recommend their own Formula e 5w-30 semi-synthetic first and foremost?
This is what I have been using for past 2 years and will keep using for duration of my ownership. Does the job just fine.
I believe the Catrol Magnatec 5w-30 meets Ford specification as well as does Halfords own brand of 5w-30.

You will receive differing opinions, but I believe the 5w-30 semi-synthetic is more than sufficient if you are carrying out the scheduled services.

This is what my local ford dealer sold me when i was after a 1lt top up

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
This topic has come up loads of times since i joined here,

Some people use really expensive oil and other use cheap

Ford minimum recommendations are 5w30 semi synthetic, as long as you buy oil that meets ford minimum specs then you will be all good.

I use GM 5w30 Fully synthetic as i get it cheap and if its good enough for vxr vauxhalls then its good enough for my ST

Bottom line, buy what you can afford.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I contacted Castrol UK about this the other day on behalf of Ford and in a dumbed down explaination I got the below response:

Ford Formula E 5w30 is a semi-syn oil which has now been replaced by Ford Formula F 5w30 which is a fully-syn oil. Both meet Fords original spec B but only the Formula F 5w30 meets the new revised WSS-M2C-913C spec. Ford Formula F 5w30 has been introduced to deal with the harsher conditions modern oils face with emissions regs and so on.

Castrol Magnatec A1 5w30 is classed as a fully-syn oil and is "superior" to the newer Ford Formula F 5w30, it is also rated to WSS-M2C-913C spec. All of the oils are fine to use but the Magnatec will offer more protection during spirited driving due to the special anti-wear additives.

They also said they do not recommend any other grade of oil to be used, or anything of a different spec to WSS-M2C-913C (or the original 913B spec) as Ford engines are designed for this specific oil which is different to most other manufacturers, and use of the wrong spec could damage the engine.

The reason the RS uses different oil is because of the internal changes of the engine and it was developed for use with 0w40 Castrol Longtec from early production.

Of course what you put in your cars is up to you - but thats the official word on the matter so to speak.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you check fords website, they do actually recommend castrol magnatec 5w30. If you check castrols site, they recommend the same. As mentioned by others, ifyou buy a topup, it will be ford stuff as they only get supplied the castrol on drums. Looking at the data sheet for magnatec a1, it has similar properties to the castrol edge 5w30. It actually has a higher flash point than most expensive fully synthetics such as motul / silkolene. If you go to halfrauds, it will cost more than 50quid to buy 7 litres of magnatec a1.

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE(mbaker @ 23 Dec 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>4 Litres of Magnatec 5w30 A1 is £26.09 plus delivery from Opie Oils...

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-754-castrol-ma...ed-by-ford.aspx

I have used these guys before and they are spot on...

Or a service pack with 7 litres of Magnatec and a filter for £40.15 plus delivery...

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-44825-oil-and-...k-fordc72a.aspx

£52.60 including delivery. So its approx the same price to have it done at Ford and a genuine stamp in your service book.

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE(mbaker @ 23 Dec 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>£46.12 delivered wit hthe discount but yeah, fair point.. Do all Ford garages charge the same though??

To be honest mate, I think they would probably price match if you say another garage is £55 using genuine parts. They will get the oil at bulk prices in drums, and the filters are pennies to them, so most of the £50-£60 will be labour costs (profit) anyway. My lcoal Ford do it for £54 and do it while I wait. I book mine in for 8.30am on my way to work, and its out the garage before 9am.

·
Registered
720 Posts
QUOTE(NickC @ 23 Dec 2009, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I contacted Castrol UK about this the other day on behalf of Ford and in a dumbed down explaination I got the below response:

Ford Formula E 5w30 is a semi-syn oil which has now been replaced by Ford Formula F 5w30 which is a fully-syn oil. Both meet Fords original spec B but only the Formula F 5w30 meets the new revised WSS-M2C-913C spec. Ford Formula F 5w30 has been introduced to deal with the harsher conditions modern oils face with emissions regs and so on.

Castrol Magnatec A1 5w30 is classed as a fully-syn oil and is "superior" to the newer Ford Formula F 5w30, it is also rated to WSS-M2C-913C spec. All of the oils are fine to use but the Magnatec will offer more protection during spirited driving due to the special anti-wear additives.

They also said they do not recommend any other grade of oil to be used, or anything of a different spec to WSS-M2C-913C (or the original 913B spec) as Ford engines are designed for this specific oil which is different to most other manufacturers, and use of the wrong spec could damage the engine.

The reason the RS uses different oil is because of the internal changes of the engine and it was developed for use with 0w40 Castrol Longtec from early production.

Of course what you put in your cars is up to you - but thats the official word on the matter so to speak.

Hope that helps

After reading this I checked the last oil I got from Ford. I asked for For Formula e and was charged for Formule e, but it is the Formula F that they have given me.
Didn't realise, as the label is similar.

Magnatec is same spec. and same grade. I do not go in for all this fancy advertising that it provides better protection. There are loads of 'super duper' oil additives on the market that claim this and that, but most have been debunked and shown to be a waste of money.

Their is no substitute for ordinary, plain old oil that lubricates the engine in manner it was designed to in my opinion. But everyone to their own.

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE(GJM @ 23 Dec 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Their is no substitute for ordinary, plain old oil that lubricates the engine in manner it was designed to in my opinion. But everyone to their own.

Different oils (even of the same grade) have different properties. The better, usually more expensive fully synthetic oils are better at handling higher temps delivered by turbo cars. I agree totally that under normal driving conditions, the ford stuff will be more than good enough. If you have a tuned car (dreamscience, mountune, bluefin etc) your going to want a better oil that performs under the extra heat/load.

This is why the datasheet for any oil will specify its viscosity at certain temps, usually 40degress and 100 degress. As I understand it, the lower the value at 40deg means it will flow better when cold, and the higher the value at 100deg means its more stable under heat. The poorer oils will get thinner when hot (providing less protection) and thicker when cold (causing more wear when starting from cold). The magnatec A1 will have a better heat tolerance, and will flow better when cold that the Ford Formula F.

If you look throught the datasheets on Opie Oils website for oils such as Motul / Silkolene and the Castrol Edge Sport, they will all offer superior heat tolerance to the lesser/cheaper oils. As with most things, you get what you pay for. I think the magnatec is a good all rounder.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE(GJM @ 23 Dec 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After reading this I checked the last oil I got from Ford. I asked for For Formula e and was charged for Formule e, but it is the Formula F that they have given me.
Didn't realise, as the label is similar.

Magnatec is same spec. and same grade. I do not go in for all this fancy advertising that it provides better protection. There are loads of 'super duper' oil additives on the market that claim this and that, but most have been debunked and shown to be a waste of money.

Their is no substitute for ordinary, plain old oil that lubricates the engine in manner it was designed to in my opinion. But everyone to their own.

The info I posted was from the horses mouth internally so to speak, so its not biased in anyway.

There must be some difference in the oils otherwise Ford wouldn't waste thousands of pounds redeveloping all of its oils to reduce emissions and increase performance/mpg.

To be honest oil is oil in most cases when you refer to standard cars as long as its of the right grade for the temperature conditions of the market the car is used in, but if you do get
about it there is a difference - whether any of us will ever notice depends on how the car is treated/used but IMO I will always use what the manufacturer recommends.

HTH

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE(NickC @ 23 Dec 2009, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The info I posted was from the horses mouth internally so to speak, so its not biased in anyway.

There must be some difference in the oils otherwise Ford wouldn't waste thousands of pounds redeveloping all of its oils to reduce emissions and increase performance/mpg.

To be honest oil is oil in most cases when you refer to standard cars as long as its of the right grade for the temperature conditions of the market the car is used in, but if you do get
about it there is a difference - whether any of us will ever notice depends on how the car is treated/used but IMO I will always use what the manufacturer recommends.

HTH

Nick
I was not saying your post was biased. I was saying mine as as I work for Castrol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone know of a particular garage type that sells Magnatec (e.g. like Esso sells Mobil1)? The fuel card I get from work includes oil so all I'd pay is the tax on the value of the purchase rather than the full price.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts