Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

What's the easiest way of finding out the exact map your car has??

As some of you know, I bought an ST a while back from a Ford dealer, but the previous owner kept all documentation to do with the mods (still awaiting his reply in the post). I've since had it in a garage and found everything out, apart from the map? The dealership had some notes on the car, and they said its running 290bhp.

How can I tell which one I have?

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
There's no real way to tell what map you have without documentation.

I saw something on Facebook recently from Pumabuild where they were rebuilding an engine which had gone due to poor mapping and they said the tuners name was written into the map but didn't divulge who it was. So it seems that if you can access the code for the map then there may be a clue there assuming all tuners put their names into the map which isn't always going to be the case.

Really unless the previous owner can tell you your going to struggle to ever find out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's no real way to tell what map you have without documentation.

I saw something on Facebook recently from Pumabuild where they were rebuilding an engine which had gone due to poor mapping and they said the tuners name was written into the map but didn't divulge who it was. So it seems that if you can access the code for the map then there may be a clue there assuming all tuners put their names into the map which isn't always going to be the case.

Really unless the previous owner can tell you your going to struggle to ever find out.
And I guess that no billy bloggs can just tap in and do this?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it worth ringing the bigger tuners and giving them them the reg?
Spoke with Mountune and Bluefin. The reg hasn't been through it's workshops. Tried Dreamscience but it appears they are on their Christmas hollibobs now!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spoke to Bluefin again, i'm going down to one of their garages on Saturday. They're going to hook up and see if they can find out exactly who's it is

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right, I've just taken it down the garage. After speaking to Bluefin, they said the car had no Bluefin maps.

Turns out they were wrong, it has the Stage 3 plus

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Right, I've just taken it down the garage. After speaking to Bluefin, they said the car had no Bluefin maps.

How did the garage know this mate??

And what mods do you have?

Stingy
I thought bf stage 23 + made 320 nowerdays

·
Registered
587 Posts

Not sure it can be stage 3 + and only produce 290hp, my DS stage 1 car produces approx 280 ?

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
How did the garage know this mate??

And what mods do you have?

Stingy
I thought bf stage 23 + made 320 nowerdays
M'eh
Depends what dealership you get your bhp guesstimate from Alex.
Same as Collins CP260/265/270/275/280/285/290/295/300/305/310/315/320............or in your case maybe 330

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The garage I took it to was a bluefin associate. They told me on the phone that they could hook the laptop up and be able to tell if it was standard, bluefin, or possibly someone else with a specific tag from the reading. The guy read the ECU, phoned Michael at bluefin, gave him the tag and he said 'Oh, it is ours. It's a stage 3 plus'.

That's all I know at the moment mate, i'm waiting for them to send me more info on it.

As for mods, there is an uprated intercooler, AP racing paddle clutch, CAIS....i'm still finding out on a daily basis.....

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
M'eh
Depends what dealership you get your bhp guesstimate from Alex.
Same as Collins CP260/265/270/275/280/285/290/295/300/305/310/315/320............or in your case maybe 330
I go with 340 now pal. Got to up the bhp somehow......

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure it can be stage 3 + and only produce 290hp, my DS stage 1 car produces approx 280 ?
It was the dealership who said this, with no supporting paperwork.

CLearly, they're wrong. All is confirmed with superchips. It's 100% stage 3 +. It's their code

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stingy, apart from the mods mentioned earlier, is there anything else I could do with to get the best out of it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts