Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can pretty much guess the answer already lol but had my service done today and ford say there is some excessive 'play' in the rear anti roll bar

A lot of people on here upgrade these to the whiteline RARB's which are £140ish right?
The ford one is about £40.

Shall I just go for the whiteline one?

·
Registered
988 Posts
There's the 24mm Whiteline adjustable bar and Elevate 25mm fixed which are the two most popular, might aswell get the Elevate one as you are only going to put the Whiteline on it's hardest setting and leave it, one of the best mods for the ST, keeps it ridiculously flat in the corners!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It won't be the bar per se but probably more the mounting points.
I did ask this but he said no it's the actual bar, will go underneath tomorrow and double check not sure if he really knew what I was going on about

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Can't see how there's excessive play in the bar, it's a solid piece of metal?
It must either be a drop link or the mounting bushes? Or they are just talking rubbish as ford garages tend to do.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Or it may be the actual bushes which hold the bar in place. I doubt it though cus it'll be alot more than 40 quid.

Drop links are about 30 notes so that's what they're probably on about.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Done 31k, its the only thing that didnt get a green on fords 'health check'
I'll have a look in a minute and report back

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just re-read the report "O/S/R anti roll bar link excessive play"

I've been under the car though and it feels fine can't see any play in it whatsoever

Obviously I'm only jiggling it with my hand but thought it would at least move slightly if there were 'excessive play'

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Although. Thinking about it again. I think you test drop links with a bar by trying to prize them apart.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I've got 2 drop links on the back seat of my car at the moment, I had 3 but fitted one to my car, want to buy one? Lol

Drop links are available from GSF car parts for about 15 each including the nuts.
From Ford they are 31 and they charge you extra for the nuts.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
I've got 2 drop links on the back seat of my car at the moment, I had 3 but fitted one to my car, want to buy one? Lol

Drop links are available from GSF car parts for about 15 each including the nuts.
From Ford they are 31 and they charge you extra for the nuts.
Like most things to do with suspension its not good practice to only change one side!

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Like most things to do with suspension its not good practice to only change one side!
I know mate, the reason I did it was because I changed the other only a couple of months earlier when I fitted Eibach springs so was already in a position where I had one new one and one old one, I could only get one at the time. When I swapped the RARB I took the opportunity to swap the other so I've got two new ones now.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right I DIDN'T need to jack the car up

BUT I was pulling at all of the metal bolts and the bar not the rubber thing on the very end of the bar and indeed the drivers side one is a little bit wobbly compared with the opposite side

Here's the bit I'm on about (I stole the picture from the RARB guide so thanks for that
)

Ford have quoted me something like £80 all in but didn't have the part in stock

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
That's the drop link mate, as I said its about 35 parts cost from ford give or take a couple of pound or 15 pound elsewhere.

Also as Fishy said its best practice to swap both sides, Ford have quoted you for 1 side.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
are they easy to do yourself? can anyone give me a rough 'how to'?
Jack the car up, use axle stands so it cant fall on you! Undo the nuts on each end of the droplinks, remove droplinks by moving them about untill you can get them out, put new ones on and do up the nuts! They have a 5mm allen key hole in the ends if you need to hold the shafts while you undo the nuts! I would put a smear of silicone grease on the new ones when you fit them! After a few weeks just check the nuts are still tight! Job done!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts