Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently dry mine with the meguirs drying towel thingy but it only gets the majority of the water off and i have to wipe over the car with another rag, which always leaves little scratches. They always polish out but i dont want to polish it every time i wash it. I tried my microfibre cloths and they are useless at drying! any ideas would be great. I also heard that shammy's are a no no?

thanks in advance, Steve.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Here is a link to an interesting topic about drying towels with different peoples recommendations:

http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/Drying-Tow...ml&hl=donna I'm still using the same brand that I mention in the post and get on just fine with it.

As for shammys being a no-no, I would guess that because any grit left on the car hasn't got anywhere to go in a shammy it could cause scratches in the same way that people say sponges and water blades do, whereas with the drying towel any little bits of grit left are magically sucked up into the weave of the towel so don't damage the paintwork.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
i hate them water blades!! scratched my last car with one of them! i use a sonus drying towel, started to go off it abit because it seemed like it wasnt being as good as when i first got it until i applied dodo juice polish n wax then washed it with their shampoo it dried the water up very easily so i think its down to what other products you use to wash your car with that make the towel work its best

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(gizm0 @ 16 Feb 2010, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i hate them water blades!! scratched my last car with one of them! i use a sonus drying towel, started to go off it abit because it seemed like it wasnt being as good as when i first got it until i applied dodo juice polish n wax then washed it with their shampoo it dried the water up very easily so i think its down to what other products you use to wash your car with that make the towel work its best

No offense intended here but you probably brought a
one! I went to a detailing day a few years back and was shown the differences between the rubber types (the blade bit). Spend anywhere over £20 on one and you'll be ok, mine is the Autoglym one and the rubber is really soft, I'd say impossible to scratch the car.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
a nice CLEAN artifical shammy. there is a skill to getting a car dry without water marks ect... ive mastered it due to 5 years being a valeter and 2 years detailing

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
QUOTE(DaveCHCI @ 16 Feb 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No offense intended here but you probably brought a
one! I went to a detailing day a few years back and was shown the differences between the rubber types (the blade bit). Spend anywhere over £20 on one and you'll be ok, mine is the Autoglym one and the rubber is really soft, I'd say impossible to scratch the car.

none taken but mine was autoglym too...it ended up in next doors vegetable patch (dont like my neighbours) lol

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
QUOTE(gray @ 16 Feb 2010, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>a nice CLEAN artifical shammy. there is a skill to getting a car dry without water marks ect... ive mastered it due to 5 years being a valeter and 2 years detailing

Seconded. - I find the AG synthetic chamois by far the best, Tried 80% of the top end drying towels on the market and am still to find one that out performs the AG Chamois.

·
Registered
577 Posts
MF's are by far the safest and most effective. I would not use a chamois on mine, let alone an aqua blade.

Craney, if your MF towels aren't working they sound like they're wrecked. Washing with fabric conditioner will kill MFs as it removes the static in them that keeps the fibres apart so that they can absorb.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(RichFST @ 17 Feb 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>MF's are by far the safest and most effective. I would not use a chamois on mine, let alone an aqua blade.

Craney, if your MF towels aren't working they sound like they're wrecked. Washing with fabric conditioner will kill MFs as it removes the static in them that keeps the fibres apart so that they can absorb.

Yeah the missus did wash them with a fabric softner! wont be doing that to my new ones though!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I use a waffle towel to get most of the water off, then finish with a microfibre towel. I do not get left with any water marks, just great results. I now would never use a sponge or leather chamois.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts