Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so in the bad ice on mon morn i was driving to work at a nice steady 40mph

i saw a frozen ice patch on a bend and didnt want to suddenly swerve or break....so just carefully carried on

my two nearside wheels hit it and for a split second my car went all over the road, before correcting and driving on without problem

anyway i noticed my esp system failure light on a few miles down the road

i got to work...switched off, and when i drove home 8 hours later it was still on.

the next morning when i turned the engine on, the light was gone ... and hasnt re-appeared

so what can this mean?

i have an intermitant fault?

or the slip caused a brain fart in the computer, wich is now corrected?

anyone else had anything like this??

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
QUOTE(Thunder#59 @ 17 Feb 2010, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>so in the bad ice on mon morn i was driving to work at a nice steady 40mph

i saw a frozen ice patch on a bend and didnt want to suddenly swerve or break....so just carefully carried on

my two nearside wheels hit it and for a split second my car went all over the road, before correcting and driving on without problem

anyway i noticed my esp system failure light on a few miles down the road

i got to work...switched off, and when i drove home 8 hours later it was still on.

the next morning when i turned the engine on, the light was gone ... and hasnt re-appeared

so what can this mean?

i have an intermitant fault?

or the slip caused a brain fart in the computer, wich is now corrected?

anyone else had anything like this??

I have had the exact same symptoms.

The ESP System Failure would light, and stay on for approximately 15 miles. If you stopped and started the car within those 15 miles, the light would remain. It was only after driving around 15 miles and THEN stopping and restarting the car would the light go out.

After MUCH digging around, tightening things, changing things etc etc, it was eventually found that these were the first symptoms of a failing MAF sensor. Eventually the MAF failed altogether, leaving the ESP System Failure message lit continuously.

I obviously can't say for sure that is the same problem on your car, but it certainly SOUNDS similar.

Best of luck getting it resolved.

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
QUOTE(Thunder#59 @ 17 Feb 2010, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks choccy

could this be wgy i only get 19mpg when driving like an old lady?

Not sure.

Best bet is find a tame Ford dealer and get it plugged into their IDS system for a diagnostic check.

I know for a fact that my dead MAF (and a number of other faults, like ABS etc) won't show up on a standard port scanner (like a DS handset/Scangauge) - they are not OBD error codes, and so the only way to get at them is to use the proper Ford IDS system.

When my MAF went, Rambo drank fuel. However, when I posted about this, a number of people said that if the MAF went, the car should actually be more frugal with fuel..........

Go figure....

EDIT --> Yours could simply be a case of one of the wheel sensors missing a count on that patch of ice, and causing the ESP/ABS module to get confused. After a subsequent continuous period of detected counts, the ESP/ABS module would have decided that all is, in fact, well with the world and reset the error. A missed wheel sensor count error would still be stored in the ECU, and again is stored in a portion of the ECU only accessible with the Ford IDS system.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I had the same issues. My ESP light would come on at random times and the car would only boost to 1/4 and then after a while the car would go back to normal but the ESP light stayed on for the duration of the journey. Really annoying on a motorway as i felt i had been thrown back into my moms old fiesta 1.4
I changed the MAF and it worked for a bit and the problem came back. then i changed from Gen2 to DSCI induction kit and it is all working correctly
Maybe that is the answer. if not get it anyway as the DSCi sounds epic

Hope you get it sorted mate.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
QUOTE(choccymonster @ 17 Feb 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure.

Best bet is find a tame Ford dealer and get it plugged into their IDS system for a diagnostic check.

I know for a fact that my dead MAF (and a number of other faults, like ABS etc) won't show up on a standard port scanner (like a DS handset/Scangauge) - they are not OBD error codes, and so the only way to get at them is to use the proper Ford IDS system.

When my MAF went, Rambo drank fuel. However, when I posted about this, a number of people said that if the MAF went, the car should actually be more frugal with fuel..........

Go figure....

EDIT --> Yours could simply be a case of one of the wheel sensors missing a count on that patch of ice, and causing the ESP/ABS module to get confused. After a subsequent continuous period of detected counts, the ESP/ABS module would have decided that all is, in fact, well with the world and reset the error. A missed wheel sensor count error would still be stored in the ECU, and again is stored in a portion of the ECU only accessible with the Ford IDS system.

My first thoughts on it would be as you said Choccy about the ESP/ABS module because if a car is ran on a RR it gives a ESP fault because of the rear wheel not rotating with the fronts and take a few miles or turning the ignition off and on again so would tie in to hitting black ice

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Mine has recently had the same problem, and is actually over the local Ford dealers as we speak (well type anyway) and will be on the IDS System sometime today.

The ESP SYSTEM FAILURE warning came up on the dash console the day after I had a CAIS fitted, and has not gone away since
. I've not had any traction control since, which is a bit scary considering that it's -1° outside today.

I bought a new MAF Sensor from Fords (cost £117) and have changed that but the ESP SYSTEM FAILURE still comes up every time I turn on the ignition.

There doesn't appear to be any difference at all with the boost pressure or mpg.

Initial thought's from Fords is that they think it might be the ABS Module (which is located behind the battery), but the ABS Module apparently comes in two pieces, and there's no way of knowing what piece has gone.

I'll let you know what Fords come back with this afternoon.

By the way, I started my own thread on a similar subject just a few days ago. Here's the link: http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/Esp-System...-Wo-t62949.html

Ian.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mine still hasnt come back on again

but i got it checked out and the fault was MAF

so its had a clean, and will have to see how it goes from here

1 - 11 of 11 Posts