Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm gutted my 9 month old ST has got a leak, trouble is Ford on initial testing found it was leaking but then the next day it didn't, or the next!

They dried out the carpets and said to keep an eye on it, and yes you guessed it, the footwells are soaking again!

Has anyone else had this problem, I have done a quick search on the forums but the weirdest thing is the car rarely mists up, which seems a more common issue?

Looks like its back to Fords for another leak test.

·
Registered
327 Posts
have you changed your rear lights from standard, i had the same thing with my old impreza, took it to a garage and they told me my heater matrix had gone. after some private i work i found out when i washed the car the water was leaking in to the boot because i hadnt sealed the new rear lights propley and when under braking the water would run under the carpet into the front footwells and cause the problem your having, just a thought.

·
Registered
484 Posts
mk1 focus had the same problem, it was the pollen filter/housing . dont think its a prob wae mk2 but its worth a shout.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I park the car slightly uphill, its the rear driver footwell thats the wettest, the lights are standard and I'm not sure the matrix has gone as there is still a fair bit of coolant in the expansion tank, plus the water doesn't smell sweet.

I will however be telling Fords to sort it out before the 1 year water ingress warranty finishes in 3 months!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Could be the rear door seal or the membrane behind the door panel?

Is there any water marks on the plastic sill inside the door/ over the carpet?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no, there are no water marks unfortunately. its booked in for the end of this week, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick update (for those that are interested), Ford still cannot find any leak! I'm becoming a bit annoyed now, thew carpets are soaking/frozen with water/ice so I've told them not to put the carpets back in or they'll start to rot/smell etc and I'll drive the car for a while to see if I can trace the water in real world conditions.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Last car i had that leaked was a ST170
I tried the usual with the pollen filter cover, door seals, etc but it turned out to be the windscreen!
The screen had been replaced at some time and the sealant around it had a slight gap and using a hosepipe you could just see it seeping in at the bottom corner, this then spread aroung the footwell (took weeks to find the cause).
I take it the dealer has tried a pressure wash over all window/ door seals/ rear lights/ aerial/ etc?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update on the problem, I found the leaks but not exactly where they were originating from within an hour (well done days!/ 5 attempts) of having the car back the run marks were on the lower part of the a pillars where the floorpan begins to rise into the inner arches/bulkhead.

Having identified the runs I took it back to Fords showed them that if they had lifted the soundproofing away from the footwells in the front they would have seen it immediately ('we looked everywhere!') and booked it back in.

They applied a flexible sealant to the actual inner wing/bulkhead joins and its now bone dry (so far!).

Why it took them so long is no mystery to me imo, lack of diligence and thought tbh on their part. it took me an hour, they took 5 attempts and still were none the wiser, or couldn't be

still its dry!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts