Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last Monday I started to notice a damp/musty smell in the boot of my ST. I today had a look and noticed that there was a couple of trickles of water coming from the vent in the pillar of the boot on the drivers side (only) - I have attached a pic of the pillar / water droplets. There was no other signs of water coming from anywhere else.

I have looked online and seen instances where other ford owners have traced this back to leaks in the vents behind the rear bumper.

So before taking the bumper off of the car, does anyone have any other suggestions of what this could be? The only water coming in seems to be from this vent, then the water seems to have congregated in the access point behind the light cluster on the drivers side.

If the only suggestion is the vents behind the rear bumper, is there a guide that I can follow in order to do this, including the removal of rear parking sensors? Also, are there any specific tools needed for this job?

Thanks In advance

Matt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Just seen your post @Matthew and noted the drips coming through the drivers' side rear vent.

I helped my friend with some internal trim removal a while back when we were messing about with his roof mounted aerial and noted on his Facelift ST3 Estate that the rear screen washer hose is routed in that area of the roof lining. I wonder if yours might be in the same spot and have failed or split somewhere...

Possibly worth further investigation before you look at pulling the rear bumper off as the internal plastics and roof lining may be easier to work with (if you have a set of suitable trim removal tools) and if indeed my suggestion makes any sense. It's a possibility at least given where the water's dribbling through.

Maybe some more knowledgeable folks on here can chip in with their thoughts. Good luck getting it sorted...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just looked in the back of mine (a 16 plate estate) and that vent is so high up it would seem impossible for water to be thrown up from underneath, no matter what might be missing/failed behind the bumper or wheel arch.

I'm with Rohan, it is very close to where the pipe out to the rear wash is hidden away - at least on mine the pipe that bridges the gap between body and tailgate is well over to the right so the pipe almost certainly runs inside the right roof gutter.

But, as Alb says too, it's very close to the roof area.

Is it worth putting some bright food dye into the washer bottle at a high enough concentration you could see it in individual droplets and seeing what happens when you run the washer.

Or if you have access to industrial type stuff (like I used to), or know someone who does, a drop of florescence and a UV light (for both the washer bottle and around the roof area).

·
Registered
93 Posts
In my old mk3 zetec s I had water in the boot what you have to do is get under the rear of the car in each corner there are 2 black grommets if you pop the one closest to edge of the car a lot of water will drop out leave the grommet out there should be some white cotton insulation inside you can pull this out I used pliers I would advise to pull it out so the water can get straight out the hole and not gather do this on each side of the car, there is another way to do this which is take the back bumper off and there will be 2 vents on each side of the cat unclip 1 vent on each side of the bumper take the insulation out and pop out the grommet leave the insulation out and grommet out and 0ut everything back together, hope this helps, andy

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had this problem on a mk3 2013 ST, that i bought last week. Its almost certainly the side vents underneath the indicators.

There is a fairly easy way to check without taking the bumper off. Watch this video here and at approx 1:50 he shows you a bung that is underneath the bumper and to each side. You can pull it out with pliers. If theres water in either side (or both in my case) then the leak is coming from the vents.

The rear bumper is easy to remove. On my ST there were just 10 small bolts holding it in.

This video describes the bumper removal steps. The only thing of note was that mine also had two small bolts further up in the wheel arch behind the wheel arch liner but they are easy found.

I used black silicone to seal around the vents, once removed and cleaned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No problem.

Attached below if anyones interested.
Hi. Sorry to uproot an old thread but I think I'm going to need to do this on my 63 ST that I have purchased this week.

There's water in the spare wheel well so I'm assuming this is the reason.

How easy is this to do I'm no mechanic but willing to try if it's just screws and clips, and do I need to wait for the sealant to dry before putting the car back together?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, CP320
1,291 Posts
Hi. Sorry to uproot an old thread but I think Im going to need to do this on my 63 ST that I have purchased this week.

Theres water in the spare wheel well so Im assuming this is the reason.

How easy is this to do Im no mechanic but willing to try if its just screws and clips, and do I need to wait for the sealant to dry before putting the car back together?

Thanks.
I fixed this recently on the wife's mk3 pfl *** x, it's not a difficult job to do really, as already said pull the bungs first just to check.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts