Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps,

I have googled the **** out of this minor annoyance I am having but I cannot find a solution...

On startup I let the car warm up before setting off but most mornings about 20 seconds down the road (I am always in 2nd doing 10 mph) no accelerating I get a very brief vibration and almost a grinding noise for a split second through the accelerator pedal.

It does it once then thats it. Weird. Its always something when the car is cold and appears to happen at the same spot in my commute.

To the ST boffins what on earth is this? Should I be worried? is it normal?

Only had the car a fortnight so forgive my ignorance.

Cheers Guys!

· Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
27,785 Posts
The engine needs to achieve normal operating temperature as soon as possible and the best way to achieve that is by driving it.

Unnecessarily idling a cold engine increases wear and adds to air pollution.

· Registered
4,371 Posts
The engine needs to achieve normal operating temperature as soon as possible and the best way to achieve that is by driving it.
Unnecessarily idling a cold engine increases wear and adds to air pollution.
I always thought a few mins idling was ideal.
I've done that to all my cars ...helps in my opinion ..
Not starting a big debate but I'd do the same after a proper blast too ..which is mandatory.

· Registered
560 Posts
I religiously depress the clutch on start up on cold warm the engine for a minute or two with gentle blips to get the oil circulating and cool down for couple of minutes so the oil doesn't cook and damage the turbo,always have with my spots cars for years and never had a problem with worn oil as I changed it every 5 thousand miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.