Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dont know if any one can help,, but my handbrake acts pretty strange,, sometimes when i pull my handbrake , it comes up 3-4 clicks, but other times its about 10 times

cheers

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
Have you checked the cable ends at the callipers and handbrake lever whilst it's being operated?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked nothing yet mate. it only been doing it for a few days and not had chance to get under

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
I'd start at the calliper end and just observe what it does if/when you replicate the fault.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mines doing the same thing, A garage looked at the cable and caliper when i was pulling the handbrake up. He didn't see what was causing it. He did tighten the handbrake cable and it was fine for a few days and then today it started again. Will see what the say tomorrow when replacing some bushes.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
Yes, it's all contained within the calliper hence the thought that it would be a good starting point.
If it is knackered, I don't think there's anything in it that's fixable.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Yes, it's all contained within the calliper hence the thought that it would be a good starting point.
If it is knackered, I don't think there's anything in it that's fixable.
Your correct if its knackered then it's a new calliper as I've just had to replace mine for this reason.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my list is getting bigger , looks like rear drop link, and rear calipers now,, better get shopping this weekend

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
It's not too difficult to source used callipers from someone doing a brake upgrade.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I had this problem before I upgraded my discs and it was the adjuster on the caliper the cable had in the past not been seated correctly and on occasion would slip so cause the handbrake to touch to roof more or less.

Since upgrading my discs and pads and re-seating the cable its been fine since

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would suggest that changing the pads would fix this. It sounds like the pads are sticking in the housing.

Do u leave the car parked with handbrake on for long periods? Or wash the car then not drive it?

I had it on mine and eventually it ripped the friction surface off the pad

·
Registered
201 Posts
The pads will be changed in march when its serviced. The car is used daily. Most of the time its fine but every so often it goes really high. Sounds like quite a common problem then. If a new caliper is needed i guess both need to be replaced.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would suggest that changing the pads would fix this. It sounds like the pads are sticking in the housing.

Do u leave the car parked with handbrake on for long periods? Or wash the car then not drive it?

I had it on mine and eventually it ripped the friction surface off the pad
i do, sometimes i can go 4-5 days without using mine,

·
Registered
323 Posts
i do, sometimes i can go 4-5 days without using mine,
I usually wash mine then put it away in my garage, sometimes for a week or more. I can leave the handbrake off and the car in gear when its tucked away to prevent it sticking on.

I would advise taking the pads out and cleaning all the sliding surfaces, sounds like pads sticking to me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)]Handbook (page 135 in 2008 edition) says apply footbrake firmly before pulling on the handbrake without using release button. Follow this instruction and it works fine.[/background]

[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)]Must be something about the way the H/Brake adjuster works, not a fault.[/background]

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've just had my discs and pads done. (Standard discs, ferrodo pads) and I think my handbrake is acting up. Sometimes it feels like it hasn't got a hold of the car and others it seems to be sticking on a bit. I heard it creaking when I pulled away this morning. Does that mean I need a new caliper? I hope not. My ST is costing me a fortune at the minute.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I had this problem before I upgraded my discs and it was the adjuster on the caliper the cable had in the past not been seated correctly and on occasion would slip so cause the handbrake to touch to roof more or less.

Since upgrading my discs and pads and re-seating the cable its been fine since
What discs and pads did u upgrade to mate?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts