Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right ive noticed that when car is at idle and stood around car i can hear a kind of whinning/sqeaking noise similar to a screeching cam belt noise but no where near as bad, kinda like a electric motor?
Also the missus had her first drive today
and she said when driving slow she could hear a kind of whistle

Any ideas ?

cheers

·
Registered
592 Posts
Mine makes a simliar noise at idle, but its not noticable when driving and it isnt loud outside of the car but ih ave been told the it could be the power steering pump as its elctronically powered apperently.

Alternators commonly oack up on
s around the 3year old mark, and that makes quite a bad sound, normally the battery light will come on if its that.

Sorry i cant help any more

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info. Been too busy today but will try the dipstick tom after work. No i have no lights on dash at all.
Im out of warranty but i took additional cover out when i bought the ST which is with Nationwide Autocare, this should cover it right?

cheers

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
depends on the specifics of your extended cover but it should cover it.

Out of interest is your car standard or remapped?

Also if the oil filter housing has bust then i wouldn't be using the car much, and certainly not on boost.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right just been out to the car. Started her up in garage god it was an awfull noise that quietened down when revs dropped, popped bonnet and it sounded like loads of mice. seemed to be coming from around the alternator area!!! unscrewed oil cap and there werent loads of suction but i put my had over and it has a bit, did dip stick that was fine noise didnt stop either way.

Am i cool and safe ha

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
QUOTE(L333 FOW @ 23 Jan 2010, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Right ive noticed that when car is at idle and stood around car i can hear a kind of whinning/sqeaking noise similar to a screeching cam belt noise but no where near as bad, kinda like a electric motor?

Any ideas ?

cheers

If your diaphram had gone you would have a loud whistling noise much louder then a belt squeeling. Sounds more like a noisey alternator .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
right i think that clears it being the diaphram then, what else could it be? it does it even when warm def from left had side of engine bay, was only yesterday the missus said she heard a whistle when she was driving which i agreed with but never heard before.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
right drove to and from work with my ears and eyes wide open. The noise on tick over is like a sqeek sqeek sqeek sqeek which gets quieter when revs drops. then when driving slow there is a very faint whistle and can still slightly hear the sqeek sqeek. The oil pressure on tick over is at 5bar then while driving 60-70mph very carfully for 17miles on motorway it sits at the 3/4 mark if i let of and slow down it decreases. Then is i come to a standstill it sits inbetween 1/4 and 1/2. When i got home i listerned again still sounded same then when i turned ignition on the engine stops but the noise continues for few seconds then dies out???

Any ideas please

cheers

·
Registered
452 Posts
QUOTE(L333 FOW @ 23 Jan 2010, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Right ive noticed that when car is at idle and stood around car i can hear a kind of whinning/sqeaking noise similar to a screeching cam belt noise but no where near as bad, kinda like a electric motor?

Any ideas ?

cheers

i got in tonight from work and just as i pulled into my road i got exactly the same noise. it sounded awful. i came straight onto here and the first thing i seen was ur thread, had a look and you described the noise exactly the same. went and tryed the old removal of the dip stick and the noise completly went, you could hear the sucking when i took it out. well anyway my neighbour is taking it to his garage tomorrow for a proper look and then ill find out the damage
, ill let you know the outcome. hope you get urs sorted mate.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
see mine continues when i take dipstick out and no suction at all. Im thinking its either nothing at all to worry about or its the alternator on its way out. Just wanna try decide if its serious or not so i can decide if to rush it into the garage or not?

lee

·
Registered
452 Posts
i couldnt believe it when i came on and there was a thread at the top with exactly the same prob!!! im not driving mine cause dont wana risk damaging it. i had my altinator changed about 5 months ago cause it packed in, but my car died on me within an hour of me first hearing the altinator whining, cost £270 for part and fited plus recovery cause i couldnt drive the car, got realy good deal.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.