Ford Focus ST Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Hi all, I am starting a group buy thread for the Wavetrac Diff.
will be some time yet before any can be ready but getting started and I hope some of the forum sponsors can get on board to help supply and fit these diffs around the country.

for those of you that don't know about the Wavetrac Diff it is like a cross between a geared diff eg Quaife ATB and a plated diff
but with the benefits of both. Eu4n explained it well in a different thread:

[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)]A Quaife differential [/background]is[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)] 'fit and forget'[/background]
[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)]A Wavetrac differential [/background]is[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)] 'fit and forget'[/background]
[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)]A plated diff [/background]isn't[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)] 'fit and forget'[/background]

[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)]A Wavetrac is like a Quaife but with more benefits of a plated diff (think of it as between a Quaife and plated diff). For example it works in a 'zero torque' situation where one wheel has zero grip, in this situation a Quaife wouldn't transfer drive to the gripping wheel but would spin the wheel with no grip. The Wavetrac can deal with 'zero torque' situations like this and would still be able to transfer drive to the wheel with grip.[/background]

[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)]The Wavetrac site explains it very well: [/background]http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm

[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)]Think of it this way: you have one wheel on ice and the other on tarmac, the wheel on ice has no grip and is spinning.[/background]
[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)]With a Quaife diff you're stuck, because once wheel has zero grip it can't send drive to the gripping wheel.[/background]
[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)]With a Wavetrac diff you're going to get traction and be able to move off. The Wavetrac can deal with once wheel with zero grip and still transfer drive to the gripping wheel. A Quaife can't do this.[/background]
I will add prices once I get confirmation from Wavetrac to buy direct so at the moment its to see who is interested and confirm orders later.

Minimum order is 10 units and the larger the number the greater the discount.

Those interested

1 - Doodlemcdoo (focusstoc & focusrsoc)
2 - Jacques (focusstoc)
3 - Kev. (focusrsoc)
4 - Eu4n (focusstoc)
5 - Monkeytrousers (focusrsoc)
6 - J114YER (focusrsoc)
7 - Scoop (focusrsoc)
8 - Loops (focusstoc)
9 - 2bar (focusstoc)
10 - Tim Warren (focusstoc)

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)]here is a post and [/background]link[background=rgb(236, 236, 236)] from a evo forum on how they rate the Wavetrac[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]

[background=rgb(239, 242, 246)]I finally got to drive wavetrac on the track- significant improvement vs quaife. It is significantly "smoother" in how the power transitions when you are rotating the[/background][background=rgb(239, 242, 246)] car in a corner. The biggest surprise was how the car pulled me around when I put 2 in the dirt. It is easier to drive under poor traction conditions.[/background]

[background=rgb(239, 242, 246)]As far as daily driving, it doesn't seem to effect it much. Noises are quieter than quaife. It howls a tiny bit when i break[/background][background=rgb(239, 242, 246)] 475 lbs torque range on my e85 map but zero slippage or problems of any kind. I got almost 2k miles now at this power level on the diff and it just hooks up at the end of the day...[/background]

[background=rgb(239, 242, 246)]Hope that helps. This thing is staying in my car...[/background]
[/background]

· Registered
4,749 Posts
If this were available when I got my Quaife, I would not have looked at Quaife lol

One of the problems associated with the Quaife not working with a wheel in zero traction is if you harden the suspension, add anti roll bars and reduce the articulation of the front, it can start lifting the inner wheel under hard cornering. One reason not to use a bigger front anti roll bar. The Wavetrack removes this limitation. Perfect for those who want to hit the track.

I'd say, for a weekend track toy, use a Wavetrack, 24mm Whiteline FARB and 25mm Elevate RARB with coilovers and polybushes, it would be magic!

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If this were available when I got my Quaife, I would not have looked at Quaife lol

One of the problems associated with the Quaife not working with a wheel in zero traction is if you harden the suspension, add anti roll bars and reduce the articulation of the front, it can start lifting the inner wheel under hard cornering. One reason not to use a bigger front anti roll bar. The Wavetrack removes this limitation. Perfect for those who want to hit the track.

I'd say, for a weekend track toy, use a Wavetrack, 24mm Whiteline FARB and 25mm Elevate RARB with coilovers and polybushes, it would be magic!
Also perfect for the daily driver car here with all the wet and more so with snow and ice but won't say no to your track setup :p

· Registered
6,481 Posts
Looks like a good alternative. As a plate diff user, one thing I will say is that it doesn't really make a difference on normal tyres. Even on track tyres the diff isn't really doing what its good for. Its takes grippy slicks to really make a worthwhile improvement over the Quaife ATB. So if you're a road user or a light track user, I wouldn't bother. It'll kill your driveshafts too

· Registered
26,588 Posts
If its such a massive problem then why are Quaife still making the ATB diff?

· Registered
6,481 Posts
I would also ask what type of diff it is, e.g. my plate diff is a 1.5-way type which offers a degree of locking under acceleration and deceleration. So on corner exits you open the throttle to increase grip and turn in because the diff locks, you then wind off the lock as you straighten (let go of the wheel under full throttle and the car keeps turning
). Under braking and deceleration, the diff also locks to give much improved stability. The Wavetrack may offer drive when 1 wheel is off the ground but does it really act like a plate diff?

· Registered
6,481 Posts
If its such a massive problem then why are Quaife still making the ATB diff?
The Quaife is more than adequate. Over time it began to annoy me but then our use isn't really normal is it? I can't really tell the 2 apart when I'm on the road or when I have less grippy tyres on. The Quaife allows the front of the car to wash out of a corner under acceleration but the plate diff does the same if the tyres aren't gripping well.

· Registered
26,588 Posts
The Quaife is more than adequate. Over time it began to annoy me but then our use isn't really normal is it? I can't really tell the 2 apart when I'm on the road or when I have less grippy tyres on. The Quaife allows the front of the car to wash out of a corner under acceleration but the plate diff does the same if the tyres aren't gripping well.
Ours just seems to spin the inside tyre up a bit rather than the front sliding although with the treaded tyres on at Silverstone you could get some pretty lurid front end slides lol! I think Kraig might have witnessed a couple!

· Registered
7,127 Posts
My brother has a wavetrac on his VXR corsa and loves it, he can easily out perform me in the twisty's now where as before it was pretty close but since having the dif fitted I've got no hope even though he has less horses than me

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.