Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you have read I've brought a nice damaged st well she has no oil due to little crack in sump so wat oil do I need to put in the old girl to make her purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
As some of you have read I've brought a nice damaged st well she has no oil due to little crack in sump so wat oil do I need to put in the old girl to make her purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
If its standard - castrol magnetec 5w30

Modded - Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge 0w40

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I just put the upgraded oil in any way

As I can c it's got a intercooler and exhaust as far as I can c

·
Captain Slow
16,275 Posts
Mines not gone bang yet running 0W-40 Castrol stuff for two years now

[Gone and said it now!!]

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Im needing to do an oil change on mine too.. anyone know any deals on at the moment for 0w40 and is it 6L i need?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Halfords are doing 20% off Castrol edge at the mo, which is the equivalent towhats in the RS (RS uses Castro lEdge professional, which meets the same specs but is generally only available through the dealer network....) If you buy this, dont be surprised if its fluorescent green, as the Edge pro stuff is.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_169697_langId_-1_categoryId_165581_zygonArticleNum_252080_zygonGenericCode_000000_zygonId_14553046_zygonManPartNum_C+0W40+A3B4+EDGE

Thats even cheaper than Opie oils at the moment....

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Definitely 5w30 recommended for standard, but for mapped ST's then nearly all tuners and Ford would recommend the equivalent to what the RS is running which is generally the Castrol Edge Professional 0w40

0w40 is a thinner oil than 5w30 which means less friction, both of which is beneficial particularly on start up.

As for the temperatures most the UK is not sub zero or Kalahari so a 30 or a 40 isn't going to play a massive part in it, the weight of the oil being the 0 or the 5 is probably more important but to be honest, neither is going to kill a turbo any quicker than the other on a car that is being used on the road

I use Castrol Edge Professional purely because i asked Collins to do an oil change when they were looking at my oil filter housing and that is what they put in all the mapped cars as a matter of course, but i suppose any 0w40 will do the job, much the same as any 5w30 would substitute for whatever Ford throws in them.

Price

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I would but I'd go for the Fuchs race oil (for the life of me I can't remember the right name of it and the bottles in the shed)

It's what I've just changed mine to an although a little more expensive than the castrol with oil I feel you get what you pay for and it's a critical part of keeping the engine in tip top condition on the inside

1 - 20 of 53 Posts