Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going through a washing routine thread i started to feel a bit guilty that mine is a bit basic and leave it to someone else i.e the asylum seekers..SO.........

Need some info on products and materials

A pressure washer...any recommendations?...a certain pressure?...or will any do maybe adjustable so i can use it around the back of the house?....

Steps?....

1.pre-wash??.....spray...whats these snow foam things?...recommendations
2.soapy wash shampoo with nice soft glove??..recommendations
3.rinse off with lance
4. wax?......again recommendations
5......alloy cleaner i can put on whilst cleaning car.....you see a pattern
6. tyre gel?.....

I know some of you are rather
about what you clean your cars with or in....i just want some good advice and recommendations for materials....
I have looked on the car care products website and i just got bamboozelled with all the different types of cleaning gear and would'nt know where to start....cheers guys

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
After going through a washing routine thread i started to feel a bit guilty that mine is a bit basic and leave it to someone else i.e the asylum seekers..SO.........

A pressure washer...any recommendations?...a certain pressure?...or will any do maybe adjustable so i can use it around the back of the house?....

Steps?....

3.rinse off with lance
6. tyre gel?.....

about what you clean your cars with or in....i just want some good advice and recommendations for materials....
I have looked on the car care products website and i just got bamboozelled with all the different types of cleaning gear and would'nt know where to start....cheers guys
I dont powerhose my car before washing just hose it down but i use either Autoglym shampoo/conditioner or zymol natural shampoo as these dont strip the wax. Using a microfibre mit - get these from halfords or tesco etc.

Autoglym Super Resin polish - applied with a foam pad and buffed up with microfire cloths.

I use Dodojuice Orange Crush which I think is absolutely fantastic for the price. I paid 30 quid and will do the car a good 10+ times. Try to do this every 6 - 8 weeks.

I Dont use alloy wax or anything i just clean with the zymol shampoo as i find they get dirty so quick anyway.

Tyre gel - used meguiars tyre gel once as I got it last week and gotta say it is gooood.

Hope that helps mate

·
Registered
11,382 Posts

Steps?....

3.rinse off with lance
6. tyre gel?.....

Re jet wash, only get one if you live in the country or will be snowfoaming, snowfoaming is not what many peopel make it out to be, it will not clean your car for you and will likely not make any noticeable differnece to your car unless it is filthy (having said that I still do it more often than not when I wash our lasses ST)

My advice re a jet wash is go for a cheap Karcher, I say that as you can get parts for Karchers easily and cheap as you do not need all the patio attachments etc for clenaing your car, it will be light to move around the car (the bigger they are the more hastle getting them in and out and around the car can be) and if it breaks after a couple of years you just go and buy a new one (you can get presure hose extensions form B&Q which are good value).

Re clenaing products,

I use PH neutral snow foam (it is really cheap)

I have tried many things over the years and curretly (have been for a few years) been happy with

Meguires Gold Class shampoo (make sure you mix it properly not just a dollop in a load of water), get this form halfords when they have a 3 for 2 offer or similar on

Wash mit is a sonus lambs wool, I prefer these over the megs on as it has 2 sies of lambs wool so you can rotate it after each aplication meaning you get 2 rinses before the same side touches the paint again (get them from ebay cheap)

When I rinse went washing I just use the hose not th presure washer

Wax, I did try Dodo juice once but was far from impressed with it, I use Swissvax paint cleaner and then Mirage wax, (I will be goign for best of show next).

Alloy cleaner, there is no need if your wheels are properly cleaned and sealed once or twice a year, your mnormal shampoo mix will do

I do not like tire gel but prefer a spay onto a spongeaplicator and wipe on, get can get cloggy in the groves/detail on the tire wall

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys.....Thanks for the insight, I am very novice at cleaning cars like i said i just get others to do it.....basically i just need a good shampoo?....a good wax and a good mitt?.....do i spray wax on or mix it with water?......or is it best to get it in liquid form and put it on neat?

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Hi guys.....Thanks for the insight, I am very novice at cleaning cars like i said i just get others to do it.....basically i just need a good shampoo?....a good wax and a good mitt?.....do i spray wax on or mix it with water?......or is it best to get it in liquid form and put it on neat?
Liquid 'wax' is easiest but hard wax is the best, to be honest it depends on your budget. If you are only looking to spend £15 £40 on wax go for liquid, above this you will be looking at hard waxes, Swissvax is hard wax starts from about £65, autoglym HD wax is about £35 -£40 form recolection.

I currently use Swissvax Mirage which use is about £120 a pot but that will last a good couple of years (based on applying 2-3 times a year). Nb you will also need a seperate polish and do this as well if you go for a hard wax

With a liquid you need to be waxing it every 2 to 3 months to maintain a decent finish/protection

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I use

Valet Pro Citrus Pre Wash to lossen the dirt first
Autosmart smart wheels which is a non acid based alloy wheel cleaner which is great even on baked on brake dust, the dirtier the wheel the longer you leave it and if only lightly dirty like mine I just spray it on and leave for 5 while I set my jet wash up and then jet it off but if really dirty then it can be agitated with a brush
Autosmart Duet Shampoo which has waxing and glossing agents in
Lambs wool MIT for bodywork, Noodle MIT for wheels
Microfibre drying towel
Autosmart Tango as a drying aid and for cleaning the door shuts and I use a diluted bottle as a QD
Autosmart Highstyle tyre dressing
Autosmart Finish on the rest of the plastics and for the interior
Bilt Hammer clay as just need water as a lubricant

The autosmart products are supposed to be trade products and are very effective for the price

I have various waxes and sealants but my chosen selection at the moment which gives me results I'm more then happy with are

Jetseal 109
Blackhole
Dodo Juice purple haze but have just switched to Supernatural Hybrid as the shine and durability seems to be better and its a wax/sealant in 1
Poorboys alloy wheel sealant but have swayed towards using the jetseal and wax on the wheels when I take them off and just use the Tango on a normal wash on the faces and Calipers to remove the water marks and aid with beading

This is just what I use and should not in anyway influence anyone else, I have used many many products in my years and find the above to be the best combination to give the results I LIKE and also some durability, I know there are far superior products that do cost a whole lot more than the products I use and it's each to there own on what they use and how much they spend on there products.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gives me an insight into whats decent and what to avoid cheers guys...trip to halfords tomorrow

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
gives me an insight into whats decent and what to avoid cheers guys...trip to halfords tomorrow
If you can hold on or just buy the minimum, as their 3 for 2 offer it normally starts soon after Christmas from recollection (I may be wrong but would hate you spending £70 or so when you could have got it for much less) can anyone else remember when it started last year?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I tend to stick with Zymol shampoo and Autoglym polish. If you're like me, and you're not a pro Valeter but want a clean car, I'd keep it fairly simple. I've never waxed a car, I sometimes use shampoo waxes to get a film on the paintwork. When polishing I've washed the car as normal with a hose / bucket / sponge & real chamois leather. I then T Cut any scuffs / scratches out using a cotton polishing cloth. I'll then apply a coat of Autoglym super resin polish, buffing it off panel by panel. Finally, I'll add a coat of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection to finish things off. I think the car looks great after this. You can get Autoglym products at a very good price on eBay!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Nice choice with the Zymol/AG combo. Bin the T0cut though and use Megs Scratch X2 instead. T-cut is too aggressive on paint and leaves marring behind. The SRP will fill in most scratches as well. The good thing about SRP is that it's a cleaner/filling polish and light protection as well in one product. The new formula has a slight cut and dusts less as well so a better product from the original. Combine that with the EGP and it's a great protection left on the car.
Thanks, I'll look at the Megs stuff when I get the chance. My only query is selecting the best polishing cloths...Cotton vs Microfibre!? I've always used cotton...

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I use mirage as have a few different cars, the reducing run off marks does sound good but I can not justify a high end wax for each car.

NB this stuff will last you for years so if you intend on your ST being a keeper then go for it, if not go for mirage or BOS.

I take it you use Iron X, best gear out there for white cars, I woudl not be without it (living in Sheffield and working near the few steel works left is not good for a white car)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just came back from halfrauds.....meguires gold class shampoo and mitt+ drying magnet towel......just need to decide on decent wax....any preference probably go for a liquid....i have a black st....is it me or am i a bit sad for looking forward to actually washing it and shining it up so i can see my face in it Lol.....is it worth waxing it everytime i wash it?....or is there no need?

·
Registered
253 Posts
i got a black st and must say this is the 1st car ive polished and waxed properly new to it lol, so far this week ive washed the car with autogylm shampoo then one at a time i've clay bar each panel autogylm srp on then autogylm super gloss protection then ive used mer ultimate wax, the wax suppose to give 6 months protection after clay bar the paint work time will tell but the paint is so smooth only done 3/4 the car so far 2 hours aday taken 2 days

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use mirage as have a few different cars, the reducing run off marks does sound good but I can not justify a high end wax for each car.

NB this stuff will last you for years so if you intend on your ST being a keeper then go for it, if not go for mirage or BOS.

I take it you use Iron X, best gear out there for white cars, I woudl not be without it (living in Sheffield and working near the few steel works left is not good for a white car)
Is there something i can use to get all the dead flies and
off the front of my car before i begin to wash it?.....some pre wash or something

·
Registered
6,843 Posts

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Just came back from halfrauds.....meguires gold class shampoo and mitt+ drying magnet towel......just need to decide on decent wax....any preference probably go for a liquid....i have a black st....is it me or am i a bit sad for looking forward to actually washing it and shining it up so i can see my face in it Lol.....is it worth waxing it everytime i wash it?....or is there no need?
I would try some auto glym SRP or dodo juice purple haze as I have a black ST and although I don't use the autoglym stuff it is rated as its easy to use and is cheap.

If your wanting something a little more expensive then dodo juice supernatural hybrid is my current choice of wax with a layer of black hole under it

Or if your feeling really flush then get some swisswax best of show.

With a decent wax you do not need to do it after every wash as it should still be beading for a few weeks and the more expensive waxes last a few months so I would do it when you notice the beading has stopped

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would try some auto glym SRP or dodo juice purple haze as I have a black ST and although I don't use the autoglym stuff it is rated as its easy to use and is cheap.

If your wanting something a little more expensive then dodo juice supernatural hybrid is my current choice of wax with a layer of black hole under it

Or if your feeling really flush then get some swisswax best of show.

With a decent wax you do not need to do it after every wash as it should still be beading for a few weeks and the more expensive waxes last a few months so I would do it when you notice the beading has stopped
whats that black hole stuff?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts