Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
QUOTE(deano8383 @ 8 Jan 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi my washers keep blowing fuses even when i just turn the ignition without trying the washers,. could it be the relay sticking they aint frozen and the headlight washers are
too????

It must be to do with the weather , prob got some water in the electrics or on the conections.

·
Registered
480 Posts
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 8 Jan 2010, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Possibly try a slightly higher rated fuse?

Don't do this - the fuse is there for a reason and blows for a reason. Fiting a higher rated fuse will only cause problems elsewhere and could cause a fire...
Try removing the relay and see if it still blows then check connections etc as has already been mentioned, working your way through to the pump. Difficult to diagnose without working through things in a sytematic order.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I must have repaired 20 cars with faulty washers this week alone.

Sounds like you have a dead short in the main power to the pump.

From memory, and dont quote me here, The washer pump gets a constant ignition controlled live, and a switched earth from the switch.

Try disconnecting the pump and seeing if the fuses stop blowing.

Other than that, if your not electrically minded you would be better taking the car to a garage or an auto electrician.

NEVER FIT HIGHER THEN RECOMMENDED FUSES.

SEEING YOUR CAR UP IN SMOKE IS NO FUN!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
i had exactly the same problem last winter, it turned out to be a wireing fault, one of the clips securing the wireing harness had come loose allowing the wireing to rest on the wiper motor, when the wipers were on the motor got hot thus melting the insulation, luckily it only melted the cicuit for the wash-wipe, the wipers still worked fine, but just blew the fuse as soon as the ignition was turned on.

just one thing to check though, under the bonnet the wireing comes out of the engine compartment on the driver side and is fastend to the bonnet hinge by a clip and then it runs under the sound proofing felt on the bonnet, check the wireing around the hinge its a weak spot.

shaun

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(sobpd1 @ 8 Jan 2010, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i had exactly the same problem last winter, it turned out to be a wireing fault, one of the clips securing the wireing harness had come loose allowing the wireing to rest on the wiper motor, when the wipers were on the motor got hot thus melting the insulation, luckily it only melted the cicuit for the wash-wipe, the wipers still worked fine, but just blew the fuse as soon as the ignition was turned on.

just one thing to check though, under the bonnet the wireing comes out of the engine compartment on the driver side and is fastend to the bonnet hinge by a clip and then it runs under the sound proofing felt on the bonnet, check the wireing around the hinge its a weak spot.

shaun
cheers guys will hav a look at the wireing under the bonnet sound proofing first and then the relays, wont do the strong fuse thing too risky i think will let use no soon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.