Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
just a warning to you all pay pal account holders.
On the 30/12/12 i received an email that claimed to be from paypal stating that multiple unsuccssful
attempts were made to access your account.as we take security of our customers accounts seriously
we ask you to login using the following link to verify your account.

so i clicked the link and like a knob put all my details in,but the thing is you could not tell as it all looked like paypal.

then last night my mobile went in to melt down with emails who ever hacked me had changed my bank details and scammed 20 paypal accounts had it all in my paypal then tried to transfer it to a new bank account they had added,they took just over £700 out of my bank account and £4890 from the 20 others.

please ignore all paypal emails if you get an email,go direct to your paypal and DO NOT USE THE LINK.to check your account.
paypal have given me this email address to forward the email i received on to them.if you think you have had 1 of these emails here is there address to forward to [email protected]

sorry its long winded

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Seriously? You clicked a link in an email that then asked you to type in all your details?!

I would NEVER click a link in an email that then asked me to enter details.
You can tell from the address bar it's not the genuine site!

Always login from the actual site, and if there is an alert, it will tell you.

Hope there's no harm been done though.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
+1. Never click a link in an e-mail that asks you for personal details, How Not To Be Taken For A Ride 101 tbh fella. Hope you get it sorted out and your money back!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its all being sorted paypal have said this happens a lot. Normally i never click a link in an email but the email i received looked like
emails i had received in the past from them it had my name in the email and every thing.even the link went to paypal but in the link is a bug that tracks your login details.i cant belive i was such a knob in doing it as its not some thing i normally do.
my money should be put back in the next day or so and every 1 eles should get theres in the next day or so to

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
Ouch

Banks etc have been warning about this for yonks.
Take it you never took heed of any of that stuff then?

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
A reminder, for those who may forget, any real business would not send you an email with a link to access your account.

Applies to banks too, I often get emails of a similar nature from banks I have never had an account with.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
its all being sorted paypal have said this happens a lot. Normally i never click a link in an email but the email i received looked like
emails i had received in the past from them it had my name in the email and every thing.even the link went to paypal but in the link is a bug that tracks your login details.i cant belive i was such a knob in doing it as its not some thing i normally do.
my money should be put back in the next day or so and every 1 eles should get theres in the next day or so to
The link won't have been a Paypal address. it would have looked like one, but the site you would have been taken too wouldn't have been on Paypal's servers. If you'd hovered your mouse over the link I bet the address that appeared in the tooltip would have been different to the one that was actually written, if you know what I mean... a bit like this...

http://www.paypal.co.uk

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Must say that a few years ago after using toys r us website to purchase a bed for my son I was then scammed for just shy of £1000 when my card details were used on good old eBay in America it then took 3 weeks for the bank to refund my money with them initially asking me if I was in America when the transaction were made even though from my statements it was clear that I was in the UK as I withdrew some cash from a machine just down the road to my house

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the link starts with www.paypal.co.uk then a load of numbers like you get in a link.if it hadnt had the proper address i would of never
clicked on it.they have resolved 1 case but there is still 19 more plus my £700 from my bank

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
the link starts with www.paypal.co.uk then a load of numbers like you get in a link.if it hadnt had the proper address i would of never
clicked on it.they have resolved 1 case but there is still 19 more plus my £700 from my bank
My point was the link might have said www.paypal.co.uk but the actual address you were sent to was different. Like the link I made a few posts back.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I get emails from Halifax all the time asking for my details. Considering I've never banked with Halifax leads me to believe that they are fake. Shame people do fall for them, because its all too easy to do so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts