Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for some uprated pads and disc's and after some reserch have almost decided on the following:- EBC Ultimax disc's and Ferodo DS2500 pads. From the write up's I find these seem to be able to give me what I want. one of the major things was to try and keep the noise to a minimum hence the Ultimax disc's.

Was just wondering if anyone had any alternatives and also the best (cheepest places) to buy said or alternative gear from. Can find plenty of good feedback on the pads but not nuch on any type of disc. Mabey i'm not looking in the right places.

Any way thanks for reading and any feedback would be great..

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
QUOTE(bigdcroad @ 19 Feb 2010, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm in the market for some uprated pads and disc's and after some reserch have almost decided on the following:- EBC Ultimax disc's and Ferodo DS2500 pads. From the write up's I find these seem to be able to give me what I want. one of the major things was to try and keep the noise to a minimum hence the Ultimax disc's.

Was just wondering if anyone had any alternatives and also the best (cheepest places) to buy said or alternative gear from. Can find plenty of good feedback on the pads but not nuch on any type of disc. Mabey i'm not looking in the right places.

Any way thanks for reading and any feedback would be great..

I'm changing mine this weekend.

Going for standard discs Ford and DS2500 front pads
Rear Ford standard discs and Ford pads.
Dot 5.1 brake fluid.

Looking at previous posts this is the best cost effective upgrade.

Got the DS2500 from graham goode £137 incl P+P , discount was applied as stoc member

Delivered next day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(james-st @ 19 Feb 2010, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm changing mine this weekend.

Going for standard discs Ford and DS2500 front pads
Rear Ford standard discs and Ford pads.
Dot 5.1 brake fluid.

Looking at previous posts this is the best cost effective upgrade.

Got the DS2500 from graham goode £137 incl P+P , discount was applied as stoc member

Delivered next day.

Cheers, I will give them a call. Kinda feel I will need discs aswell I've had problems in the past and dont want to risk it.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
to be honest i think the standard front set up is good enough for the road,and in my experiance ive never found anything with EBC stamped on it to be anywhere near as good as they claim .
had EBC rotors and pads on bikes and NEVER found them to be an improvement over the standard set ups .
only part of there range i did notice a very SLIGHT and i do mean very slight differance with was there HH rated pads for motorcyles ,but the pay off for this was they then took a likeing to eating the disks due to the abrasiveness of the pads .
just my opinion of course .

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Fitted mine today.

Big improvement and they're not bedded in fully yet.
Much more 'bite' to the braking now.

A good upgrade I think.

I bled the brakes the old fashioned way !
One thing though was at no time did I go over half way down with the pedal travel.
Old fluid was damn filthy!!

So the ds2500 pads with dot 5.1 is excellent.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
QUOTE(maxal @ 21 Feb 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi which brake fluid did you use.

Just Comma dot 5.1 ,1ltr bottle is required to flush the old fluid out, start at the rears first and then the fronts.
The reservior is under the front scuttle so an easy way to top up was a small funnel with a tube pushed on to it , be careful as its foul stuff if you get it on your hands and watch for and spills as it will strip any paint off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(james-st @ 21 Feb 2010, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just Comma dot 5.1 ,1ltr bottle is required to flush the old fluid out, start at the rears first and then the fronts.
The reservior is under the front scuttle so an easy way to top up was a small funnel with a tube pushed on to it , be careful as its foul stuff if you get it on your hands and watch for and spills as it will strip any paint off.

Switched to 5.1 on my bike and the difference was awesome!! Think I will defo go with the ferodo pads just need to make up my mind on the discs, think i need em as I like a track day and am getting the Nurburgring buzz. brakes decided to give up at over 90 mph in my old 325i Not good
,Bike with uprated brakes (ebc HH, Steel braided lines, 5.1,ASV adjustable levers) did 3 consecutive laps with no problems at all. other than the person in charge being s~*t lol.

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE(glennboysst3 @ 19 Feb 2010, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>to be honest i think the standard front set up is good enough for the road,and in my experiance ive never found anything with EBC stamped on it to be anywhere near as good as they claim .
had EBC rotors and pads on bikes and NEVER found them to be an improvement over the standard set ups .
only part of there range i did notice a very SLIGHT and i do mean very slight differance with was there HH rated pads for motorcyles ,but the pay off for this was they then took a likeing to eating the disks due to the abrasiveness of the pads .
just my opinion of course .

+1
I've never found EBC products to be much cop, either motorcycle or car.
I used to race in a series sponsored by EBC & used Mintex!

DS2500 pads are good, another one to consider are Pagid Blues.

ATB,
Jon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fitted mine today.

Big improvement and they're not bedded in fully yet.
Much more 'bite' to the braking now.

A good upgrade I think.

I bled the brakes the old fashioned way !
One thing though was at no time did I go over half way down with the pedal travel.
Old fluid was damn filthy!!

So the ds2500 pads with dot 5.1 is excellent.
I need to replace rear rotors. Plenty of tools and general car fettling experience but new to ST (or will be once it's ready to collect). Apart from the caliper rewind, what's involved in removing the rotors. Do they come off without removing the hub? What are the mounting bolts torqued to? Where is the best (cheapest?) place to buy rotors and pads (standard) in NW?
Thanks for any help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts