Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ok I'm looking to buy the above mentioned tyres all round soon for my ST. They seem to fit my budget nicely. I had a pair on the front of my Astra VXR before I sold it and they seemed very good after a very long scrub in time.

But I keep reading posts where people use pressures as high as 42psi on the ST!

Is this true? What psi should I use?

How much life do these tyres have average?

Thx

·
Super Moderator
2017 Audi S3 Sportsback
8,082 Posts
Have them on mine with 19''
rims and i am running them at 36psi all round at the moment . I di have them at 33 but the steering felt heavy at that pressure !!!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Audi S3 Sportsback
8,082 Posts
Hard to tell at the moment Trist . I have only used the car for work in the last 14 days and it's always cold when i leave in the mornings and the same at night ... what with that and the potholes the thing seems to rattle all the time .

I also have the Vibratechnics torque mount so i have a slight increase in vibration anyway , but i would not think the 3psi increase would have that much effect on it .

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I ran mine at 39f 42r all summer and the grip was excellent,although at that pressure they seemed to slide a bit in the wet so dropped to 36/39 through the winter/wetter weather and theyre fine. Had all four fitted the same time and after just under 10,000 miles the fronts are down to just under 2mm. Time for some more on the front
the rears still look like new so have swapped them round for now

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
ive not long had a full set fitted and the tyre place reccomend i had 35 at front and 30 on the rear, really working well so far

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Allan, thats the link I've been trying to find as I seen it mentioned a few times when I searched for Vredestein

·
Registered
242 Posts
Have them on mine running 42psi all round - no probs - look on the Vred web site aswell as they have tested these tyre's on an ST and recommend the pressure!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have these set at 39/42 with no problems, only thing is I find they induce a bit of steering wobble at high speeds which the Conti's did not suffer from...so I am going to get PS2's next time and see how those are!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I have just been on the Vredestein website and it quotes 46 front and 49 rear for the RS tyre size which is what I have on.
http://www.vredestein.co.uk/Onlineadvies_A...voeringID=59635

Mine are 33 all round and IMO they are bag of
. I dont feel attached to the road, steering feels light. Just no confidence in them. Maybe it also has something to do with them being 19's as I much prefer the conti's when I had the standard 18" alloys on. I was going to up the pressure but not to 46 and 49!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
funily enough my brother in law has these on his ST and he aswell thinks there
,hes no fool when it comes to cars etc etc and does know his stuff .
his first findings was they was a good gripy tyre and was originally pleased hed got them ,now a few thousand miles later he hates them with a vengance and has tryd various pressures all to no avail.
he too says he has no feedback from these tyres and gets no warning of when there about to let go .
after all id read on here about them i thought they wer good and kinda recomended them to him ,wish i didnt now.
maybe theres a bad batch about as i no a lot of guys realy rate them and who knows what goes on in the factory that makes them .
il be needing a new set for mine soonish and am weary of fitting these to the car due to this couple of people not likeing them .
oh well you pays your money .....you takes your chances !!
surely at 46 and 49 pressure it must feel like youve hit a brick when you run over an ant in the road
!!!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
QUOTE(glennboysst3 @ 2 Feb 2010, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>surely at 46 and 49 pressure it must feel like youve hit a brick when you run over an ant in the road
!!!

They are a very solid tyre a 33psi, so it must be like driving Fred Flintstones car at those pressures.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(thestumper @ 2 Feb 2010, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have just been on the Vredestein website and it quotes 46 front and 49 rear for the RS tyre size which is what I have on.
http://www.vredestein.co.uk/Onlineadvies_A...voeringID=59635

Mine are 33 all round and IMO they are bag of
. I dont feel attached to the road, steering feels light. Just no confidence in them. Maybe it also has something to do with them being 19's as I much prefer the conti's when I had the standard 18" alloys on. I was going to up the pressure but not to 46 and 49!

But if the tyre maufacturer recommends those pressures dont you think they did it for a reason? Why not try and see?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 2 Feb 2010, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But if the tyre maufacturer recommends those pressures dont you think they did it for a reason? Why not try and see?

I may give it a go but they are like rocks now at 33 psi, if any tyre kickers come round they would break their toes, so Im not sure 46 and 49 is going to be great. Most things I have read though say stick with Fords handbook pressures. Also Gary at Profile put them on and must have put 33 in them and he's never to far wrong, but like you say I can only give it a go.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
As i said. I ran mine at 38 psi all round and found them excellent in all weather conditions. Far better than the Conti's.

My car was fitted with standard ST wheels.

You will read other threads about other tyres and also find varying opinions.

·
Registered
359 Posts
A got 4 verds put on at the weekend there, had the conti's on but preffer these already despite the supposed 1000 mile scrub in time. I am running 37 all round and couldn't be happier defo buyin them again. As for the 46/49
let me know how any1 gets on, don't think its for me lol

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(andyinnorlye @ 2 Feb 2010, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have them on mine running 42psi all round - no probs - look on the Vred web site aswell as they have tested these tyre's on an ST and recommend the pressure!

I cant find it on their website.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts