Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive decided to try my car on reguler to see what happens.
I took the oppertunity to do a small, utterly unbiased comparison. (using a gmeter and some adjustment software)

Ive set the below to no correction, although due to a temperture difference in reality there is about a 2-3bhp benifit to the RUL run.
That said, the RUL graph is the LOWEST acheived. The best being 273 (average over runs at 271).

Ive included a plot from my car with a stock map and hard mods only for comparison.
a not included additional comparison is the car was RR'd @273 running BP ultimate recently.

Conclusion. Higher octane fuel appears to have very little effect on my car. Next step is to remove the cr map and see if the stock map power remains unaltered.

Anyone know why when ford claim possibly another 15bhp from sul? Plus arent the additional maps supposed to exploit sul benifits even further. OR, does this prove SUL is just sits and rots on forecourts and is of little use unless your lucky to get fresh stuff?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I find that I get more miles out the tank with Super Unleaded by about 40 miles so it's worth the extra £2. Not sure on performance increases, might all be in the mind...

The increased range is definately real though

Chris

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,189 Posts
Interesting. I've seen three different tests on regular v VPower fuel and all three came out with VPower giving more power. I think the Which? report was the highest gain over regular with 13bhp. All cars were run back to back on the same dyno within each test - not all on the same dyno for all tests.

They used cars that were stock, mildy tuned and more highly tuned and the stock cars were pretty much the same whatever fuel was used. The middling cars gave a bit more with super, but the highest tuned cars gave the most. Which? used a Scooby to get 13bhp over regular fuel.

The Which? test also used three fuels - supermarket regular - BP Ultimate and VPower. The BP got the middle ground with the cars that responded to the better fuel.

I have heard that the super fuels loose their octane rating with age, but I thought that the 'turn round time' on the forecourt was supposed to be well within the deterioration window.

Maybe something for trading standards to look at?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I can believe your results.

I'll be sticking to higher octane stuff, as my ST seems to have a worrying drink problem with normal petrol!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Extra range was somethng i was expecting to, but im getting the same 22-23mpg i normally do.

Yes, I need to do some more tests, such as SUL again with the colder weather and also try some octane booster. And try sans CR map. But maybe worth taking further if i keep getting numbers like I have been, might get a life time supply of RUL priced SUL! It certainly puts me off a SUL only map when i go back to aftermarket managment on my Rover.

Im very much thnking the tanks up here arent getting the turn around. I never see anyone using SUL, and given its 1.20 its hardly a suprise.

On the plus side im saving a fiver a tank now and not loosing anything power wise
!

J

·
Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE(Simo @ 13 Dec 2009, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I find that I get more miles out the tank with Super Unleaded by about 40 miles so it's worth the extra £2. Not sure on performance increases, might all be in the mind...

The increased range is definately real though

Chris

I surprisingly get about 10 miles less with SUL as compared to regular fuel. Maybe my car is broken.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(r200 @ 13 Dec 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Extra range was somethng i was expecting to, but im getting the same 22-23mpg i normally do.

Yes, I need to do some more tests, such as SUL again with the colder weather and also try some octane booster. And try sans CR map. But maybe worth taking further if i keep getting numbers like I have been, might get a life time supply of RUL priced SUL! It certainly puts me off a SUL only map when i go back to aftermarket managment on my Rover.

Im very much thnking the tanks up here arent getting the turn around. I never see anyone using SUL, and given its 1.20 its hardly a suprise.

On the plus side im saving a fiver a tank now and not loosing anything power wise
!
J

Tesco 99 FTW. Paid £1.10 this morning

Strangely the fuel computer states the same mpg as I get with regular unleaded but I get more miles... Weird

Chris

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might give Tesco a go, One test i stumbled across says it does as it says on the tin and at 1.10 that sounds a bargain.
I was being loyal to Shell due to having a reward card, but the rewards are a waste of space and I lost my last 3 pound voucher as the the stations wouldnt accept it!
Actually i could be spiteful and say BP reguler UL is as good as Vpower

J

·
Registered
117 Posts
QUOTE(r200 @ 13 Dec 2009, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I might give Tesco a go, One test i stumbled across says it does as it says on the tin and at 1.10 that sounds a bargain.
I was being loyal to Shell due to having a reward card, but the rewards are a waste of space and I lost my last 3 pound voucher as the the stations wouldnt accept it!
Actually i could be spiteful and say BP reguler UL is as good as Vpower

J

I find that the normal shell fuel helps my st run more smoothly than the v power it makes it feel more lumpy and doesn't seem to give the same mpg I was getting a fair few less, I use a fairly busy garage so assume the turn around is quite good but I guess you never really know, I had the same with the tesco fuel aswell so have stuck with shell regular ever since. Not worth the extra in my opinion

·
Registered
252 Posts
Seems we all have different SUL experiences

My weekly commute is pretty static, 3 journeys in from mine 2 from the gf's, almost all busy motorway so the driving style rarely differs and a total of 240 miles a week. Making it pretty good for making MPG comparisons.

I've tried all the SUL and not found any of them to give a noticable benefit in fuel consumption, however I believe that they all make the car run smoother and the power seems more accesible / better engine response.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I can't remember where I read it but I believe someone (magazine or something) did a test on all the performance fuels and one of the cars they used was a Focus ST because it adjusts the knock parameters for the fuel, I believe it got 10bhp or something extra.

Your unlikely to feel it but like tesco say "every little helps"

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i read somewhere ages ago ( cant think where ??? ) that the tesco petrol came out better than both the vpower and the bp ultimax ... so mines always run on tesco

·
Registered
204 Posts
to make a fair comparison you have to run through a couple of tanks of each kind of fuel before you get the full outcome,
to flush the fule through and also to allow the ecu to learn of the new fuel and adjust to the higher octane after 2-3 tanks the car will run smoother and with improved response and power.

Greig

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
when fill mine up with b.p or tesco it seems to run rubbish. when put shell v power in you can tell the difference. Was same with me fiesta st

·
Registered
557 Posts
QUOTE(SpacemanST @ 14 Dec 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>to make a fair comparison you have to run through a couple of tanks of each kind of fuel before you get the full outcome,
to flush the fule through and also to allow the ecu to learn of the new fuel and adjust to the higher octane after 2-3 tanks the car will run smoother and with improved response and power.

Greig
I beleive this is correct to. The ECU takes 2-3 tanks to reach its full potential when using higher octane fuels, but the moment it senses 95 back in it, it will back right off again. So if the test was run after putting super in it for the first time I don't think the results will be totally accurate.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I did a full month on each of the SUL fuels in my area (Shell, BP, Tesco) putting in 4 - 5 tanks of each in that time. In that time I noticed very little MPG improvement (certainly nothing worth the extra cost) and although the engine was slightly smoother on the SUL, it did not feel any quicker....in fact as the engine was smoother / quieter it actually felt a little slower (impossible I know...but thats how it felt). I now stick with Shell normal unleaded (BA Airmiles accumulating nicely).....but only if it matches the cheapest fuel in my area and I am happy with that.

I guess over time the SUL fuels with the additional cleansers will keep the engine in a better condition.....but then I will be replacing the car in the next couple of years so will not notice the benefit....well apart from in my pocket by not forking out the rediculously inflated prices.

·
Registered
720 Posts
QUOTE(SpacemanST @ 14 Dec 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>to make a fair comparison you have to run through a couple of tanks of each kind of fuel before you get the full outcome,

Greig
QUOTE(Tigger390 @ 14 Dec 2009, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I beleive this is correct to. The ECU takes 2-3 tanks to reach its full potential when using higher octane fuels, but the moment it senses 95 back in it, it will back right off again. So if the test was run after putting super in it for the first time I don't think the results will be totally accurate.
The two lads are on the button. It takes 2-3 tanks of fuel for the ecu to regulate the ignition for the higher octane fuel.
I have no access to higher octane fuels working in Ireland but when I come home and treat the car to a few tanks of the good stuff I notice a distinct improvement in responsiveness.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was under the impression the ST had a 'trick' ecu that adjusted to better fuel very quickly? So you should notice the difference within the first tank.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts