Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my focus stolen and now it has come back with a new number in the screen. How do I get it changed back to the correct one? I have been to my local Ford dealer and they said they cannot get them.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
QUOTE(lozcossie @ 22 Jan 2010, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had my focus stolen and now it has come back with a new number in the screen. How do I get it changed back to the correct one? I have been to my local Ford dealer and they said they cannot get them.

Any ideas?

I guess whoever stole it, changed it?

I wouldn't be suprised if the supply of these is restricted to criminal circles.

·
1,285 Posts
Mmmm....

I see an issue though, if he gets stopped and the VIN number doesnt match that of the proper one, it will cause issues... I know it can be checked elsewhere and also the Police National Computer should show it as stolen / recovered, but Fords should change it.

Fords must be able to get them... have you tried speaking to your insurance company and tell them to sort it?

Hope it all works out

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Ford will have a process set-up to supply new VIN plates, VIN stickers etc - it's very likely this will have to be done at the factory using the same kit as new cars being built. The request will have to come through official Ford channels so it's a case of either 'reminding' the dealer that this is possible or going to another dealer that knows how to process the request.

It's a common thing to be done in the industry, it's no good having cars rendered unroadworthy after VIN labels or etched VIN plates are damaged in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never even realised it had been done. The car only done six miles since it left me as it was taken with keys. I took the car in for a service when I got it back just to be on the safe side and Ford called me to tell me about the number difference. They know the car so were as shocked as me!!! Everything else was fine, guess that is all they had time to do.

Thanks to everyone for your help, I will contact the dealer again tomorrow and hope that this time he has a clue!!!

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(lozcossie @ 22 Jan 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I never even realised it had been done. The car only done six miles since it left me as it was taken with keys. I took the car in for a service when I got it back just to be on the safe side and Ford called me to tell me about the number difference. They know the car so were as shocked as me!!! Everything else was fine, guess that is all they had time to do.

Thanks to everyone for your help, I will contact the dealer again tomorrow and hope that this time he has a clue!!!

Really this is your insurers responsibility, I would speak to whoever was handling your claim and take it up with them.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ford can get these through official channels.

Just like, how they can supply a brand new chassis and bodywork.. dont know why anybody would want 1 lol, but it can be purchased... and when they supply it, they supply it with the same chassis numbers as the chassis being replaced... because you cant even order 1 without providing ford with the chassis number and build data..Apparently dealers also have to order it through a certain department in ford.. they cant order it directly.

I imagine a similar method would be required just for the Chassis number plate in the windscreen, they would probably require proof of ownership in the form of registration documents, and it would be a dealer only fitment for obvious reasons.. so you cant order 1 and fit it to another car.

What beats me though is how they changed it in the first place.. theres only 1 ways of removing it and rivetting another 1 in place,
removal of the windscreen, or removal of the dash.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(RB2004 @ 23 Jan 2010, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What beats me though is how they changed it in the first place.. theres only 1 ways of removing it and rivetting another 1 in place,
removal of the windscreen, or removal of the dash.
VIN plates these days aren't all rivetted in place but stuck down with adhesive tape.

And within the industry (and outside it seems
) there are ways of fitting a new VIN without taking the IP or screen out. I know more but ain't telling!

·
Registered
552 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 23 Jan 2010, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>VIN plates these days aren't all rivetted in place but stuck down with adhesive tape.

And within the industry (and outside it seems
) there are ways of fitting a new VIN without taking the IP or screen out. I know more but ain't telling!

maybe not all, but thought on the focus they are.. mine certainly is on the facelift. If its self ahesive then it wouldnt be that hard.. but if its rivetted.. surely you would have to drill the rivets out .. then have a means of putting new rivets in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
why the hell is my dealer still claiming to not be able to supply it....this is driving me mad!!! Tomorrow I will try another dealer who will hopefully have more of a clue!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.