Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new on hear I've just bought ST-2 2014 I'm getting vibration at 70 ive had the wheels balanced it's a solid car I think it should be a smooth drive over 70? Can any help
Thank you
Jo

·
Registered
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
2,277 Posts
Could be anything, driveshaft, engine mount, torque restrictor, wheel bearing, suspension bushes or mounts, have a look at the offside engine mount , near the expansion tank, if there is an oil stain on it, then the mount has gone and has leaked all its oil out.

·
Registered
381 Posts
This is very confusing. The MK2 does suffer from driveshaft failure, typical symptoms are steering wheel vibration when accelerating hard at higher speed, 50 mph to 70 mph. It stops when you lift off.

The MK3 probably exhibits the same.

As for vibration of seats, don't know but this could be the front wishbone bushes. This can be easily visibility checked, by a competent person or a service technician.

MK2 or MK3?

Seats or steering wheel?

Also check the engine mount, as suggested previously.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Again a 'vibration' is very hard to diagnose remotely! Is it a humming noise, a knocking noise, a clunking noise, or a rattling noise? Does it get louder as speed increases or when you turn the wheels left or right. Does it go away as you press the clutch pedal or brake pedal? Does it get worse if you put the aircon on? My first thoughts would always be the wheels if they are not balanced right, are mismatched across the axle, or your tyres have been damaged (worse as speed increases). Then an engine mount or possibly the rear engine/transmission mount (worse with aircon on - especially as that is under the front seats!). Lastly a steering or suspension issue (changes as the steering is moved).
The only other thing that used to rattle like mad on my old Mk2 were the under car heatshields that used to corrode through the connecting points & rattle like mad - until I just took them all off!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is very confusing. The MK2 does suffer from driveshaft failure, typical symptoms are steering wheel vibration when accelerating hard at higher speed, 50 mph to 70 mph. It stops when you lift off.

The MK3 probably exhibits the same.

As for vibration of seats, don't know but this could be the front wishbone bushes. This can be easily visibility checked, by a competent person or a service technician.

MK2 or MK3?

Seats or steering wheel?

Also check the engine mount, as suggested previously.
Just a update I've had 2 new tyres and balancing done again all vibration has now gone thank you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts